Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2019, 06:17 AM   #106
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobhosie Quote
Well, Im reading this forum and the same exact thing happened to my K-3. Coincidence ?? I think Not !!!
It could be that there's a component weakness or design flaw somewhere in the K-3 that results in a small number of bodies failing in the same way under the same or similar conditions. We've had too few reports of this to jump to any conclusions just yet, though, given the thousands of K-3s that are out there.

Few, if any, technologically-advanced devices are 100% perfect. Manufacturers do everything they can to iron out problems during development and testing, but bugs still make it into production. I'd confidently guess that every camera model, from every manufacturer, has been subject to a number of identical or similar failures in different areas. None will have a perfect reliability record.

The HP laptop I've just replaced broke its display hinges several times, a common fault that only came to light around a year after production. My Pure Evoke DAB radio died a few months back, with a common fault that seems to have plagued these radios after a year or two of use. The trunk lid latch on the Jaguar X-Type I owned a few years ago needed to be adjusted every few months because it would stop latching properly - a common and well-known problem. I could go on...

It happens with all products of all types, across all brands. Cold comfort for anyone that experiences a failure of their camera, but it's a fact - and as devices become more and more complex, there's more and more that could potentially fail

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-08-2019 at 06:27 AM.
03-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #107
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobhosie Quote
Well, Im reading this forum and the same exact thing happened to my K-3. Coincidence ?? I think Not !!!
Thanks for adding your report to the flood of K-3 sudden death incidents where exactly the same cause was at fault.* Generally, problems of this sort have multiple possible causes, including:
  • Failure of the power switch
  • Water intrusion
  • Main board or other electronic failure
  • Bad or uncharged battery
  • Physical damage to the camera
Sorry that your camera is no longer working. I hope you find a cost-effective solution.**

Steve

* Sorry for the sarcasm. As noted above, the K-3 has not been prone to this sort of failure.

** Precision has a general quote of $nnnn. The actual charge depends on the problem actually repaired. It may be more and may be less. If yours is a recent purchase, you might want to contact the seller.