Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed scary.
Would be interesting to note the serial numbers and see if there is a "bad batch" ??
JP

05-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very disturbing to see 3 at the same time having this problem. I hope we can find out what's happening.
05-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #18

Interested now if mine died out from the rain or this issue, posting to stay posted. If your cameras are under warrenty how is their service and did they promise a turn around time?
06-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #19

The exact same thing happened to me!

my camera was working one day but the next day it just didn't turn on...

06-30-2016, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be important to know from those who reported this problem ...
1. Has it been fixed?
2. What was the problem?
This will obviously be of great help for "future reference".
10-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #21

Any more information on this potential issue? We just had the same issue with our 1+ year old K-3. It was fine yesterday and will not turn on this morning and tried two different fully charged batteries. We're out of the warranty period so this may be an expensive one?!?

Last edited by truberski; 10-17-2016 at 08:12 AM.
10-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #22
Forum Member

I had a Minolta Dimage A1 some time ago, it was a great camera (average images) with great functionality that I compare with my K's. The A1 sensor failed after some time from manufacturing failures. I currently have a K-30 (still working fine) and a K3. I can't imagine such bad luck...

10-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #23

My K-3 came with the battery grip (never used it) so I tried that route with fresh AA batteries. Still doesn't have any life after trying the battery grip. I didn't think it was the batteries or charger and I supposed the experience with the battery grip confirms the issue is with the camera itself. Now it's the debate of expense with trying to get it fixed versus just throwing away what has otherwise been a fine camera.
10-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #24

Camera is now with Precision Camera for review after call to Pentax resulted in no offers to help or even sympathy from them on an 18 month old camera dying for no apparent reasons. Thankfully we live in Connecticut so inexpensive to drop if off for the free review but sounds like it will be $300 to $400 repair (if they can even repair it). Ironically, the much older Canon 40D this K-3 replaced is back in service as our go to camera and is functioning as good as when it was new. I don't want to be one of the seldom posters that complains but very, very disappointed in our Pentax experience and sad when a much older camera proves to be more reliable and durable. Our experience may be unique but never had this happen during our previous 35+ years of Canon camera (film and digital) use.
10-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by truberski Quote
Camera is now with Precision Camera for review after call to Pentax resulted in no offers to help or even sympathy from them on an 18 month old camera dying for no apparent reasons. Thankfully we live in Connecticut so inexpensive to drop if off for the free review but sounds like it will be $300 to $400 repair (if they can even repair it). Ironically, the much older Canon 40D this K-3 replaced is back in service as our go to camera and is functioning as good as when it was new. I don't want to be one of the seldom posters that complains but very, very disappointed in our Pentax experience and sad when a much older camera proves to be more reliable and durable. Our experience may be unique but never had this happen during our previous 35+ years of Canon camera (film and digital) use.
Well you're 6 months out of warranty. Half of a year. So I'm not shocked at Pentax/Ricoh's attitude, even though I sympathize with you. These aren't exactly cheap to replace..

There is a broken K-3 on the auction site that (they're asking too much for) has been sitting around for weeks that had a similar situation.. wouldn't power on. From the auction listing, Precision told them it needed several boards replaced as well as some wiring. Probably looking at a 300+ dollar repair. Hope yours isn't similar.

Another reminder (for me) to buy the longer term warranties.
10-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #26

Well heard from Precision and am pretty impressed with how quick they were able to assess issue and call me with repair estimate. I remain much less impressed with Pentax! It looks like the broken K-3 on EBay has identical issue to mine with our camera needing new flash board, main flex circuit, and other miscellaneous stuff. All of this in a camera that has been used frequently but babied. I wish there was something I could point to (like a dropped camera) to explain the sudden internal implosion as I'd have more confidence in paying the $314 repair and trusting the camera in the future. I've been doing some additional research and have found more occurrences like this and at least one horror story of the camera failing on the trip and photographic opportunity of a lifetime. Tough decision on whether to go forward with repair and/or sell it upon receipt back from Precision....
01-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #27

Hi Guys,

Same issue here. K-3 for 20 month, perfectly fine. And now all of a sudden no chance to power on.
Just came home from a shoot.
Tried all. New battery, take out the batteries for a while, full batteries, New SD card's, USB to computer.
Just does not start.

Will bring it to service now but your stories disturbed me. How long will it last after the repair?
I travel a lot with mine, and I liked the rugged camera. Seamed unbreakable.
And now the electronics is an issue?

Did anybody do the repair? Any feedback what was the rootcause? Did they get wet, or a loose connection, from a impact, or just a power spike, or...

Thanks for any info on this.
01-05-2017, 09:36 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stefan82 Quote
Hi Guys,

Same issue here. K-3 for 20 month, perfectly fine. And now all of a sudden no chance to power on.
Just came home from a shoot.
Tried all. New battery, take out the batteries for a while, full batteries, New SD card's, USB to computer.
Just does not start.

Will bring it to service now but your stories disturbed me. How long will it last after the repair?
I travel a lot with mine, and I liked the rugged camera. Seamed unbreakable.
And now the electronics is an issue?

Did anybody do the repair? Any feedback what was the rootcause? Did they get wet, or a loose connection, from a impact, or just a power spike, or...

Thanks for any info on this.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

This thread was sort of strange in that few of the sudden death K-3 owners reported the outcome or cause of the problem. In fact, it appears that one of the owners sold the camera as physically damaged a few weeks before posting to this thread.

Main board failure is the most common cause of this sort of problem, usually as result of physical damage or water incursion. I hope you have a good outcome with your camera.

Steve
01-07-2017, 04:17 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
If he had been in Europe it would still have been under warranty. This is why this whole 12 months in one country , 2 years in another pi**es me off, either a company backs it's product or it doesn't.
In Australia we have access to a consumer rights law of "reasonable expectation" it's mostly used by people who buy new cars and then have them die 1 day out of warranty only to have the manufacturer walk away and deny warranty claim, but technically applies to all goods. ie you could lodge a claim and argue that someone buying a professional level or prosumer camera could "reasonably" expect that it would last longer than 18 months, and consumer affirs could direct Pentax to repair or replace the unit.
01-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmar Quote
If he had been in Europe it would still have been under warranty. This is why this whole 12 months in one country , 2 years in another pi**es me off, either a company backs it's product or it doesn't.
...and your helpful suggestion backed by experience with the K-3 is?

Steve