Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Card problem or camera issue?

I took some photos tonight at my daughter's game, and I went to download into lightroom, the last 5 images give me this warning and they aren't being read in lightroom. I can see them and move them onto my desktop from my camera, but if I use lightroom, it says they are unsupported. All the other photos I took before them are fine. It did rain during the game, could that be an issue? I get this when I try to review the images on the camera. Is there any way to recover the images?

Sorry I have NO idea why the image is rotated, I didn't take the photo that way!

Last edited by Murfy; 09-05-2016 at 06:16 AM.
05-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most likely a card issue, but you never know. When looking at the card contents on your PC, do you see the actual image when you open the file?

If so it could also just be something with the metadata. Would be interesting if you could upload the file somewhere
05-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Most likely a card issue, but you never know. When looking at the card contents, do you see the actual image when you open the file?

If so it could also just be something with the metadata. Would be interesting if you could upload the file somewhere
I think they are unrecoverable. I took 17 images, and the last 5 just show the little aperture icon and say "zero bytes" so I have no idea what happened. I can't open them with anything. Part of them were part of series of 5-6 shots I took with continuous shooting. :-(
05-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would suspect the card in that case. After downloading your files, try doing a "slow" format using your PC, and if the issue happens again I would try a different card.

There's most likely no data in the zero byte files, but you could always try recovery software (such as recuva) just in case.

What kind of card is it, by the way?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sometimes if you open the files with Windows Photo Viewer that are being accessed from your camera via PC, if they are for example rotated and saved while in Photo Viewer, they may not be recognized by softwares or a camera as they were before. This is something that I experienced. I got a similar message on my camera as to what you showed.
05-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would suspect the card in that case. After downloading your files, try doing a "slow" format using your PC, and if the issue happens again I would try a different card.

There's most likely no data in the zero byte files, but you could always try recovery software (such as recuva) just in case.

What kind of card is it, by the way?
the flucard that came with the k-3 as a package. I recently reformatted in camera but I think that was a month ago, and haven't had a problem since then. Luckily it was just practicing for me, so nothing missed. the camera seemed to behave as normal while I using it, and I could have sworn I reviewed the images on the camera before I turned it off and they were all there.
05-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You didn't turn off the camera before it was done writing to the card did you? I did that once

05-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
You didn't turn off the camera before it was done writing to the card did you? I did that once
You know I was thinking maybe that might have happened, but I thought it was sitting on my lap and then it started raining hard unexpectedly and I put it away. So that is why I thought it was the rain? The camera works fine otherwise though. The odd thing is that there where 2 or 3 pictures that were taken 5 minutes later, so I am not sure why part of the series of continuous action shots were messed up to. I guess I will reformat this one and buy another card.
05-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so I had another issue happen today. I had taken photos for about an hour with no issues, lifted the camera up to look through viewfinder to take an image and it was dark. so I checked to see if maybe put the lens cap back on, of course. Nope, that was in my pocket. Shutter won't release, try to turn on live view, nothing happens. Check to see if camera is on, and yes dial is in on position. Battery says it is full. I look through the camera multiple times and can't figure out why it seems stuck and not working. I eventually turned the camera off and back on and then it was fine. I downloaded all the images I took today without issue. Would these 2 things be a symptom of a bigger issue or just 2 coincidences?
05-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If the symptoms you mention become an ongoing thing, you may want to contact Pentax customer service at 800 877-0155 M-F, approx. 8:30 - 5:00 (Mountain Time).

Keeping batteries charged up before outings and formatting cards in the camera being used prior to use are just basic steps to take. I have experienced freezes, but not often, and removing/reinserting the battery usually remedies it. You may want to try powering on and off numerous times and after each power on check functions.

Like I mentioned though, if the symptoms you mentioned recur at an ongoing rate, you may want to contact Pentax customer service.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-23-2016 at 05:51 PM.