Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Microphone Model and Brand do you Recommend to use with Pentax K3 and K1?

Which Microphone Model and Brand do you Recommend to use with Pentax K3 and K1?

My suggestion is: Audio-Technica AT9940

• Product Features
    • Element: Stereo Electret Condenser | Polar Pattern: Unidirectional | Frequency Response: 40-19,000 Hz
    • Sensitivity: -36dB (15.8 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa | Impedance: 2,200ohms | Power Supply: Battery/Plug in Power
    • Dimensions: 45mm(H) x 54mm(W) x 159mm(L) | Weight: 140g | Cable: 0.3m
    • Connector: 3.5 mm L-type gold-plated stereo mini jack

Attached Images

05-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

The main question is what do you want to film with it ? Concerts ? Interviews ?
My use is mainly interviews and I have a Rode Videomic which is quite good. My best advice however would be to buy a mini-jack extender so that you can put the microphone closer to the person you film. It costs nothing and improve greatly the quality.
05-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
The main question is what do you want to film with it ? Concerts ? Interviews ?
My use is mainly interviews and I have a Rode Videomic which is quite good. My best advice however would be to buy a mini-jack extender so that you can put the microphone closer to the person you film. It costs nothing and improve greatly the quality.
I also use the video mic pro (this one: Rode VideoMic Pro Compact Directional On-Camera VIDEOMIC PRO B&H).

It has on-board settings to amplify sounds or dampen background noise, and this is very useful if you're doing interviews in a loud place (think Photokina).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I also use the video mic pro (this one: Rode VideoMic Pro Compact Directional On-Camera VIDEOMIC PRO B&H).

It has on-board settings to amplify sounds or dampen background noise, and this is very useful if you're doing interviews in a loud place (think Photokina).
VideoMic Pro Specifications

Acoustic PrincipleLine Gradient Active ElectronicsJFET impedance converter Capsule0.50" Address TypeEnd Frequency Range40Hz - 20kHz(selected HPF @80) Output Impedance200Ω Maximum SPL134dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load) Maximum Output Level6.9mV Sensitivity-32.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (20.00mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted)14dB-A Weight 85gm Dimensions100mmH x 75mmW x 170mmD

Attached Images

05-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Rode Video Mic as well. For the price it works very nicely, although a lot depends on what you are willing to spend and what you are planning to record.
05-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use the Rode Video Mic as well. For the price it works very nicely, although a lot depends on what you are willing to spend and what you are planning to record.
Stereo VideoMic Pro Specifications

Acoustic PrinciplePressure Gradient Active ElectronicsJFET impedance converter Capsule0.50" Polar Pattern Address TypeEnd Frequency Range40Hz - 20kHz Output Impedance200Ω Maximum SPL134dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load) Sensitivity-38.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (12.60mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted)20dB-A Power Options Weight 115.00gm Dimensions130.00mmH x 66.00mmW x 108.00mmD Output
Attached Images

05-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

I have used the Rode VideoMic Pro shotgun on my K-3 and reviews are at: Rode VideoMic Pro shotgun reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database. My experience was positive and you may wish to read the review comments (2 reviews). I also share some experience at:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/275789-experience-rode-videomic-pro-shotgun.html

Attention
After some careful signal processing and analyses, I suspect that the microphone mounted on the camera hotshoe does pickup some low frequency noise likely connected to the shake reduction (SR). See:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/279013-sr-characteristic-s...uency-ies.html

If you want a clean signal, you may consider to avoid mounting the microphone on the camera hotshoe. This is valid for any microphone on most Pentax SLRs or SLRS with SR.

I hope that the comment may help.
06-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a Azden SMX-10. Works fine on K-3/K-5/K-1.
But also a Zoom H1, and a small lapel microphone too. Each has it's uses.