Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery Life

I seem to be changing out batteries on my K3 MUCH more often than my K5IIS & K5. I know some of the issue seems to be with the grip my question is is this a glitch and are K3II owners experiencing the same thing. Also K1 shooters feel free to ring in. Just sayin' can we get a reliable firmware fix and can we PLEASE get a firmware update for the K3II focusing improvements on our K3's ???

06-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Rated battery capacity is 740 on k-5IIs and 560 on the K-3. If that is "MUCH more often" to you then yes, performing as designed. The K-1 is listed at 760 shots but it is not clear if that is measured using the 50% flash standard or not. I seem to get less on the k-1 than on the k-3II but that's just subjective.

To be honest there are a lot of factors that will affect battery life, so many that it is really difficult to make comparisons even between the same camera with two different users and camera setups. Your use pattern will be very different than mine and battery life on the same camera might vary 50% just because of this.

I am always confused when I see people complaining about battery life though. For my use I swap out the battery when I come back from a shoot and charge the old one. I always carry a spare, but it is a rare day I ever use it. I've gotten 700 images on a battery many times with no issues. But battery life is really the last thing I have any concern over.

Curious what your use pattern is that makes this an issue? Lot's of bursts? Astrophotography?
06-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you use live view a lot or keep the status screen on? Both of those will decrease your battery life, especially the former. That said, I can't say that I have any complaints about the overall battery life of either the K-1 or K-3.

Are you using an off-brand battery in the grip perhaps? Also, I'd recommend setting the camera to use the grip battery first, if you haven't already.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also, I'd recommend setting the camera to use the grip battery first, if you haven't already.
Why is that? I have mine set to Auto. It seems like it switches back and forth from one battery to the other until they're both depleted. Does having it use grip first make the batteries last longer, or just easier to change the dead one in the grip than in the body?

06-02-2016, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Why is that? I have mine set to Auto. It seems like it switches back and forth from one battery to the other until they're both depleted. Does having it use grip first make the batteries last longer, or just easier to change the dead one in the grip than in the body?
Both, I'd say. If the battery in the body gets low, the camera may die well before both batteries are depleted because it relies on the in-body battery when it first starts up. I've always experienced the best stability when the grip battery was selected to be drained first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you using an aftermarket fast charger on a regular basis?
06-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both, I'd say. If the battery in the body gets low, the camera may die well before both batteries are depleted because it relies on the in-body battery when it first starts up. I've always experienced the best stability when the grip battery was selected to be drained first.
That makes sense. I never thought of it that way. Thanks! I'm going to try it out.
06-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
That makes sense. I never thought of it that way. Thanks! I'm going to try it out.
And when the grips on it's easier to change the battery in the grip than the body. In fact, I've seen some posts suggesting the tog only uses the battery in the grip; no battery in the body. Not sure if that'll work though?

06-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
In fact, I've seen some posts suggesting the tog only uses the battery in the grip; no battery in the body. Not sure if that'll work though?
I tried it once briefly. It worked.