Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 05:42 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Hi, my name is stupid!!!

Have finally resolved an intermittent issue I have been having with my K3 & grip.

Occasionally I bring the camera to my eye only to find that the focus was already set and I couldn't refocus. I'd often just turn the camera off and back on and carry on. Checked various forums and couldn't see anyone else with the problem and assumed it was specifically my camera. Decided I would have to return it for inspection/repair whil it was under warranty but there was never a good time to be without it for however long it would take. After a bit more time had passed I noticed that I didn't get the issue when I had removed the grip, ergo it must be the grip at fault. Or maybe it was the connections on the camera. Either way I still didn't return it. And in any case, I needed the grip to help balance the Sigma 70-300mm f2.8. And. I argued, it didn't happen that regularly and I hadn't missed anything vital, so I carried on.

Then, just recently, more than a year after getting the camera, I discovered that it wasn't the camera that had a fault, nor was it the grip. It was me! The palm of my hand was against the shutter button on the grip, and the way I held it (gripped it???) was enough to half press the shutter on the grip.

All that worry that I a faulty camera and it was me all the time. Just glad that I didn't send it for repair.

Hadn't intended to make my stupidity public, but thought I would, just in case it ever happens to anyone else. Interestingly, if I try to do it on purpose, it takes ages to get my right hand into the correct position. Ho hum ,,,

06-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It happened to me several times but fortunately I was.able to know that I was hitting the grip's button.
06-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a regular basis, sitting in my blind, I get too much of the blind blocking my view, then wonder why my lens won't auto-focus. I have way too often sat cursing the rotten ago-focus, only to move the camera a bit and have it work perfectly. The other thing i do is accidentally move the selectable AF point and then owner why I can't get the camera to focus in the center of the frame. It's all Murphy's law.
06-09-2016, 06:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to do the same thing when I used a grip. I quit using grips when I discovered the joys of L-plates, but avoiding this was a nice unintended consequence.

06-09-2016, 06:12 AM   #5
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here is my contribution. Once I was shooting inside a warship with the built in flash raised. Several times the flash would not fire and I thought it was faulty. Turned out the bill of my cap I was wearing was pressing down on the flash when I had the camera to my eye. What a joke!
06-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
Then, just recently, more than a year after getting the camera, I discovered that it wasn't the camera that had a fault, nor was it the grip. It was me! The palm of my hand was against the shutter button on the grip, and the way I held it (gripped it???) was enough to half press the shutter on the grip.
I imagine this happens frequently when folks first acquire a battery grip. I did the same thing as you, but was able to figure out the problem in a couple of days because I don't have the grip powered on unless I'm shooting in portrait orientation.
06-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
On a regular basis, sitting in my blind, I get too much of the blind blocking my view, then wonder why my lens won't auto-focus. I have way too often sat cursing the rotten ago-focus, only to move the camera a bit and have it work perfectly. The other thing i do is accidentally move the selectable AF point and then owner why I can't get the camera to focus in the center of the frame. It's all Murphy's law.
Norm, your auto focus may work fine, but you may want to turn off autofill on whatever you're using to post.

06-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
Have finally resolved an intermittent issue I have been having with my K3 & grip.

Occasionally I bring the camera to my eye only to find that the focus was already set and I couldn't refocus. I'd often just turn the camera off and back on and carry on. Checked various forums and couldn't see anyone else with the problem and assumed it was specifically my camera. Decided I would have to return it for inspection/repair whil it was under warranty but there was never a good time to be without it for however long it would take. After a bit more time had passed I noticed that I didn't get the issue when I had removed the grip, ergo it must be the grip at fault. Or maybe it was the connections on the camera. Either way I still didn't return it. And in any case, I needed the grip to help balance the Sigma 70-300mm f2.8. And. I argued, it didn't happen that regularly and I hadn't missed anything vital, so I carried on.

All that worry that I a faulty camera and it was me all the time. Just glad that I didn't send it for repair.

Hadn't intended to make my stupidity public, but thought I would, just in case it ever happens to anyone else. Interestingly, if I try to do it on purpose, it takes ages to get my right hand into the correct position. Ho hum ,,,
I want to claim identity theft. According to many I have been "Stupid" for years. Who else would photo a whole afternoon and evening with no film in camera. Cheap camera too!

Welcome to the family.

RONC
06-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Subject line sounds to me like a Pentaxians Anonymous meeting...

Stupid: "Hi, my name is stupid."
Everyone, deadpan: "Hello, stupid."
06-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
autofill on whatever you're using to post.
It is called autocorrupt, and it also applies to photgrapher's and the misuse of their gear, as this thread aptly has captured. Too many of the already posted issues are things I've likely done in some form or another.

Last edited by MSL; 06-09-2016 at 12:49 PM.
06-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@keithw - like you and many others, I've done the same. For other reasons, I've since disabled AF on my shutter release and use back-button focusing only. It's particularly comfortable to use the K3 this way, gives you more control over when and where the camera focuses the lens, and - as a side benefit - stops this problem in its tracks
06-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
bxf
Veteran Member

Norm, your auto focus may work fine, but you may want to turn off autofill on whatever you're using to post.
Kind of you to blame it on autofill...

Last edited by bxf; 06-09-2016 at 11:45 AM.
06-09-2016, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

What? You couldn't figure out what I meant?
06-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was thinking that using that using the AF button on the grip should cure his problem but a lot of folks still resist the Back Button technique.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
@keithw - like you and many others, I've done the same. For other reasons, I've since disabled AF on my shutter release and use back-button focusing only. It's particularly comfortable to use the K3 this way, gives you more control over when and where the camera focuses the lens, and - as a side benefit - stops this problem in its tracks
06-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #15

Yep. Been there, done that. When i figured out I was doing it I set and now leave the grip power switch to off.. Glad to hear you figured out the problem.