Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Got a killer deal on a K5. 5,500 actuation. £290 with an 18-55WR lens.
Also got a DA21 for £230 so I actually got a great deal on some great kit for less than the K3.

The rest of my money is going on a DA70 to round out the kit.

I would have like the K3 but unemployment means I gotta live within my means. Paid for all this by selling other kit.

06-16-2016, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Got a killer deal on a K5. 5,500 actuation. £290 with an 18-55WR lens.
Also got a DA21 for £230 so I actually got a great deal on some great kit for less than the K3.

The rest of my money is going on a DA70 to round out the kit.

I would have like the K3 but unemployment means I gotta live within my means. Paid for all this by selling other kit.
Mick, that's a great setup you've acquired - congratulations I intended to retire my K-5 when I bought my K-3II, or - at most - hang on to it for use with my old M42 lenses. As it happens, I've kept using it for general photography as well as my old lens experiments. The image quality is excellent, high ISO performance is great, and it's just all round a lovely camera. You're all set!
06-16-2016, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Mick, that's a great setup you've acquired - congratulations I intended to retire my K-5 when I bought my K-3II, or - at most - hang on to it for use with my old M42 lenses. As it happens, I've kept using it for general photography as well as my old lens experiments. The image quality is excellent, high ISO performance is great, and it's just all round a lovely camera. You're all set!
Thanks Mac,

I'm really looking forward to shooting some with it. The addition of the DA21 will be great addittion.
My next purchase will hopefully be a grip to help balance with the Bigma.

So far i've done great things with my K-S1. The K30 has damage so is effectively retired. The K-S1 is nice but the controls are odd and I miss the top display and the twin dials that fall to hand.

Heres a recent one from the K-S1. I hope to shoot more like this and hopefully better ........

06-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice!

The DA21 is a fantastic lens... you'll find a lot of fans here, and I'm one

06-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Might be more impressed by your lenses

I just bought a used K-3 and before I list my loved K-30, I took 10 minutes to shoot an herb planter in full sun in front of a light colored house (hight contrast). I kept my feet in place and swapped my 18-135 between the two bodies with the same focal length. I was time limited so the fastest way to do apples to apples was full automatic for both bodies.

Interestingly, I'd say the K-30 picked a better exposure 1.5 stops greater (full F/stop more open and 1/2 stop more time). However the K-3 was much more detailed, and I was looking at the focus point so depth of field should not have mattered. My opinion is the K-3 brought more out of the lens rather than less.

K-30 full image (only shrank in size, no other adjustment)
K-3 full image
K-30 enlargement
K-3 enlargement
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo