Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
Trawlerman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hull, Yorkshire, UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Would a K-3 be let down by my lenses?

Hi,

Long time since I posted here. Right now I have K-S1 and a K-30. The K-S1 is my main shooter, the K-30 has some damage to the bottom plate so it doesn't get used (much).

I'd like to pickup a s/h K-3 but am concerned that my lenses wouldn't match up to the high quality of the K3.

I shoot with a Tamron A16 18-50 2.0 / Pentax DA40 DA35 DA50 DA55-300 A50 1.4 / Sigma 10-20 / Sigma 50-500.

Would I better served by a K-5II or perhaps sack it off and just buy some better glass?

06-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,716
They are all very good to excellent lenses. If they are OK on the K-S1 they will be just fine on the K-3.
06-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 59
them lens seem pretty good. in you case.i would get a K3, or a K5IIs. or just wait for the k70
06-11-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,032
Your lenses are fine. I'd go for the K-3, as it's a nice step up in terms of both image quality and build quality.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-12-2016, 12:57 AM   #5
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,632
You have some great lenses there - no need to replace any of them. As Adam says, I'd go for the K-3... The time is right to buy one used, as so many people are selling them to fund K-1 purchases. The K-70 is going to be a very nice camera, I'm sure, but with the K-3 you're getting the best possible build quality and pro-level ergonomics.
06-12-2016, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 65
I would go with the K-3. It is such a pleasure to use and it has pro features and just built so solid. Your glass is great and will simply be better with the K-3. I use a combination of modern and legacy glass and love them all on my K-3.
06-12-2016, 02:44 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 17
I too don't have the best glass available for my K3 but you should find the K3 will give excellent results
06-12-2016, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,119
Get the K3. Cameras are not only about image quality (and the K3's will be better than the ones you have now) but also features like build quality, direct controls, customisability, frame rate, auto-focus etc.

06-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,827
I agree with the general view that your lenses are up to the task. However, if you have specific goals or wishes for improvements in your photographic opportunities, then my advice might change. For example, if you wanted to get into macro work, I might suggest a lens rather than a body.
06-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
ronniemac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oxford
Photos: Albums
Posts: 127
K-3 II rather than K-3 if you can.

It will work with the next generation of pulse motor/electromagnetic aperture lenses but the K-3 will not. It also gives you pixel shift technology, built in gps and compass, astro tracking, better shake reduction, better focus tracking. Although it comes without a built in flash, the AF201WR is a pocketable better alternative is you need a small flash.

Having said that, the new K-70 looks like an affordable compromise with the same sensor as the K-3/K-3 II plus pixelshift tech, or the delightful K-S2 if you're on a tighter budget. Both PLM compatible.
06-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
Senior Member
Trawlerman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hull, Yorkshire, UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You have some great lenses there - no need to replace any of them. As Adam says, I'd go for the K-3... The time is right to buy one used, as so many people are selling them to fund K-1 purchases. The K-70 is going to be a very nice camera, I'm sure, but with the K-3 you're getting the best possible build quality and pro-level ergonomics.

You make some good points. Right now I can bag a K3 with 3500 shutter actuation's for very little money.
I'd been pondering stepping up to some different glass (DA Limiteds or Tamron 70-200 2.8) but I think i'll stick with what I have - I also have a lot of legacy glass - and enjoy the top end body. I'll let somebody else take the hit on losing money on the body for once.
06-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #12
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,632
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Right now I can bag a K3 with 3500 shutter actuation's for very little money. I'd been pondering stepping up to some different glass (DA Limiteds or Tamron 70-200 2.8) but I think i'll stick with what I have - I also have a lot of legacy glass - and enjoy the top end body.
At 3,500 shutter actuations, it's barely broken in Re the step up in glass... your DA40 (I'm assuming you have the XS model, then?) is optically close enough to the DA40 Limited that I'd only recommend the latter if you particularly wanted the enjoyment of owning a Limited lens. Otherwise, optically, I don't know that you'd see a whole lot of difference. As for The DA35 you own (the f/2.4, right?), I prefer it to the f/2.8 Macro Limited for general use because of the bokeh (although the Limited has other strengths). The DA50 f/1.8 is a classic and pairs nicely with your DA35. Your Tammy and Sigmas have you covered well for a whole lot of other work, so... yeah, grab a K-3 and go for it
06-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #13
Senior Member
Trawlerman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hull, Yorkshire, UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
At 3,500 shutter actuations, it's barely broken in Re the step up in glass... your DA40 (I'm assuming you have the XS model, then?) is optically close enough to the DA40 Limited that I'd only recommend the latter if you particularly wanted the enjoyment of owning a Limited lens. Otherwise, optically, I don't know that you'd see a whole lot of difference. As for The DA35 you own (the f/2.4, right?), I prefer it to the f/2.8 Macro Limited for general use because of the bokeh (although the Limited has other strengths). The DA50 f/1.8 is a classic and pairs nicely with your DA35. Your Tammy and Sigmas have you covered well for a whole lot of other work, so... yeah, grab a K-3 and go for it

BigMackCam,

I should have said that the DA40 I own is the limited and not the XS model. The DA40 has been with me since my K10d and served me very well, particularly whilst doing my L2 BTEC in Photography at College (I got an Distinction.)
06-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: weston-super-mare
Posts: 230
Your lenses cover a huge range and the K3 at a good price is just the ticket.
06-12-2016, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,632
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
BigMackCam,

I should have said that the DA40 I own is the limited and not the XS model. The DA40 has been with me since my K10d and served me very well, particularly whilst doing my L2 BTEC in Photography at College (I got an Distinction.)
Ah, nice Well, the usual advice is to upgrade lenses before going for a new body, but you're all set. If you go for the K-3, I know you'll be impressed with it...

And thumbs up on the L2 BTEC Distinction!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k-30, k-s1, k3, pentax k-3, sigma
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would be a good collection of MF lenses Dave Deacon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 04-16-2012 07:38 PM
If you could only choose 3 lenses for a wedding, which would they be? crossover37 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 48 02-29-2012 09:09 AM
Which of these lenses would be good for my usage? aaronius Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 01-19-2010 07:49 PM
What would be the best SLR with my Fa lenses? NorthPentax Pentax Film SLR Discussion 30 09-04-2008 02:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top