Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

K-3 II burst speed faster in live view with K lens

Hello everyone

I've just received a Pentax K-3 II, and using it with the K 50 1.4 I realized the burst speed is faster using live view (about 8fps) than with the viewfinder. Is this normal? Is there any way I can get the same burst speed using the viewfinder?

06-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The framerate should be the same in manual focus. The shutter sound will be different (louder) when shooting through the viewfinder, since the mirror also goes up and down.

Note that their are other factors that may affect your effective framerate, most notably whether or not distortion correction is on in JPEG mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-16-2016, 12:43 AM   #3

Most camera's will go into a Mirror-lockup mode when using the Live view where the mirror flips up and remains up, as the mirror is not needed for live view as it is for the viewfinder. That's why it can achieve slightly higher speeds with live view. As an example the Canon 1dx mkii advertises 14 frames, and 16 frames with mirror lockup.
Hope that cleared up your question!
06-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The framerate should be the same in manual focus. The shutter sound will be different (louder) when shooting through the viewfinder, since the mirror also goes up and down.

Note that their are other factors that may affect your effective framerate, most notably whether or not distortion correction is on in JPEG mode.
No, it's definetively slower.

Experimenting a little, I discovered the framerate slows the exact moment the metal frame of the back of the lens touches the pins of the mount. So then I put adhesive tape on the pins, put on the lens, and it shoots at 8.3 fps, but the diaphragm does not move!

06-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leoi Quote
Experimenting a little, I discovered the framerate slows the exact moment the metal frame of the back of the lens touches the pins of the mount. So then I put adhesive tape on the pins, put on the lens, and it shoots at 8.3 fps, but the diaphragm does not move!
It's strange that this would happen with a genuine K-mount lens! I've heard of it with third-party and adapter M42's...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well, I guess I'm more calm as I can't do much about it, I guess.

Discovering the problem cost me about 400 shots, though.