Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II and Sigma 600mm Mirror Lens

When I power down the K-3 II and attach the Sigma 600mm then power up, I do not get the focal length adjustment screen. I also can not adjust shutter speed.

I've attached a capture of the Menu screen.

Note: When I use my Samyang 8mm I DO get a focal length adjustment screen and CAN adjust shutter speed. I can also attach the Sigma to my K30 and it works fine. In the attached image the "F ---" in the bottom blank box is missing as it blinks and I did not capture it.

Am I missing something here???

Attached Images

06-16-2016, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your lens does not have the "A" contacts on the mount face, you must shoot in M mode if you wish to adjust the shutter speed manually. The general instructions may be found in this article:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Your mirror lens is fixed aperture and presents a special case. In modes other than M, X, and B, your camera will default to Av mode, meaning that the camera will adjust the shutter speed for you. Exposure compensation may be used to adjust exposure up and down. With most K-mount lenses, there is a catch...the aperture stays wide open. With your lens, it makes no difference.

In M mode you can use the green button or the DOF preview lever to use the camera's meter or set the shutter speed manually using sunny-16 or a hand-held meter.

Steve
06-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If your lens does not have the "A" contacts on the mount face, you must shoot in M mode if you wish to adjust the shutter speed manually. The general instructions may be found in this article:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Your mirror lens is fixed aperture and presents a special case. In modes other than M, X, and B, your camera will default to Av mode, meaning that the camera will adjust the shutter speed for you. Exposure compensation may be used to adjust exposure up and down. With most K-mount lenses, there is a catch...the aperture stays wide open. With your lens, it makes no difference.

In M mode you can use the green button or the DOF preview lever to use the camera's meter or set the shutter speed manually using sunny-16 or a hand-held meter.

Steve
Thanks Steve!!! Your link provided the clue I needed ... Set "Using Aperture Ring" to ON ! ( Menu Item 26 on the K3 II ) Once I set that I was able to also set my Focal Length, and set my shutter speed in Manual mode. Saved everything to USER 3 and I'm all set!

Edit: p.s. I checked my K30 and it has the Aperture Ring set to ON ... So at some time in the past I had figured this out before. ;-)

Last edited by Rickster; 06-16-2016 at 08:57 AM.
06-16-2016, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote

Edit: p.s. I checked my K30 and it has the Aperture Ring set to ON ... So at some time in the past I had figured this out before. ;-)
Have not understood why this is not a default ON.

It is like asking if you want a left and right shoe in that pair.

06-17-2016, 03:51 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

^^^^ this - exactly, this....
06-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

Makes you wonder if there is a performance hit for turning on that bit of code, otherwise why have the function at all. Like the lens correction code. We know there is a performance hit with those. Something we could test I guess. ;-)