Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Lens for wedding

My daughter is getting married tomorrow. I have no experience as a wedding photographer, and I won't be the official photographer, just one of the amateur photographers. Don't know if there will actually be an official photographer. I plan to take my K3ii with a small Metz flash that will bounce. I would prefer to not have to change lenses at all either during the wedding or the reception. I could use my DA 18-135mm, but I was thinking maybe my FA 31mm f1.9?

Suggestions? I also have the DA 15mm Ltd, the DA 55-300mm, and a Sigma 105mm Macro f2.8. Bu my experience with the latter is very sharp but a slow focuser.

Thanks, John

PS: It will be a strange affair. My daughter is gay and is having a Day of the Dead theme for the wedding.

Last edited by Johnontheroad; 06-24-2016 at 04:36 AM.
06-23-2016, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a thought, but might it not be better to leave the camera behind and just be in the moment?

We can take photos any day, but most of us don't get to be father of the bride very often
06-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnontheroad Quote
Suggestions?

Firstly John, congratulations are in order for yourself and your daughter. I see you have a K-3II. Personally, I would take the magical 31 Limited and the 18-135 for a bit of reach. Some candid shots of people unaware a camera is present are always fun. I have been to quite a few weddings where the " pro " took lots of shots of the wedded couple, but forgot to get many of the guests. Have a great day.

EDIT - What Sandy said makes sense too !!!
06-23-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with Sandy. I left my camera home when my daughter got married. I paid a guy who worked very hard and did a quality job on the photography. Never regretted it for one moment.

06-23-2016, 11:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Congrats to you all!

Take the zoom and take an occasional shot now and then. And focus on the event yourself.
And give the camera to an eager nephew (or such) in the mean time.

BR,

Seb
06-24-2016, 01:03 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Just a thought, but might it not be better to leave the camera behind and just be in the moment?

We can take photos any day, but most of us don't get to be father of the bride very often
I'm definitely with Sandy

The last few weddings I've gone to, I always bring my camera, but don't take a ton of shots because I'm enjoying the wedding. However, weddings are such prime shooting places, that I understand why I always want to bring the camera

I'm going to be in a wedding in a few weeks and am not even bringing the camera to the wedding. I can't even imagine being the father and taking pictures! They are paying someone to take the pictures! (However, you said you don't know if they have a photographer. Maybe it's worth investigating. I was at a wedding recently where it was "bring your camera and send us your pictures!", which was cool too.)
06-24-2016, 01:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnontheroad Quote
Don't know if there will actually be an official photographer.
In this case take the 31mm and 18-135mm (for outside shots with good lightning and reach) and 105mm macro for ring shots and other stuff like wedding shoes, flower bouquet and similar. I suggest to take really good flash with fast recycling time, even if it is manual, bounce and fire away... just remember that if you use 18-135mm with flash and you zoom in longer range that your flash needs to work harder and recycling time will increase. Use the 31mm for all those inside and pre-wedding shots where you can. If you need wider you can always grab 18-135mm. Just my 2c.

EDIT: I just saw that you have 15mm as well, this you might use for group shots or in tight places...

Last edited by RAART; 06-24-2016 at 01:56 AM.
06-24-2016, 01:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a snapper not a photographer but I would recommend taking your camera and taking some images. While my results would not grace the wedding albums that the happy couple might like to show people, they do sometimes provide the odd candid shot that are appreciated by someone. The last wedding I went to I took a Helios-44M and a Tamron SP23A, for fun. I used the Helios inside without flash and the Tamron outside in what sun was available. They had a Canon wielding pro to take the official photos so I was under no obligation to provide anything.

After the wedding I downloaded my images and passed the sd card on to the couple for them to download and pass around to whoever might like to see it. They were pleased to have some other than posed images of family members and guests plus the bonus of some images of some swans on a pond near the wedding reception (I took time out from the reception, you would understand if you had been there, the bride's mother gave a 20 minute plus speech at the dinner!)

The groom's niece provided an image that I particularly liked, the swans did too. I attach an image that is also posted on a review of the Helios-44M ( apologies if that is not allowed.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-24-2016, 02:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Congratulations. Take the 31mm. No mucking around with the zoom. The camera is less imposing. You'll start to get a sense of what where a 31mm will be useful. It's not a portrait lens but it'll do. It'll also be better for small group shots. And it's fast and you'll get pixie dust. And if it's a Day of the Dad theme then you're allowed to indulge yourself as well. Sounds like you have a great relationship with your daughter.
06-24-2016, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Key moments are fleeting at events, which is why zooms are the norm - you don't want missed shots.

Congratulations, by the way!
06-24-2016, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! I was father of the bride a few months ago, took my K-3II/20-40 but hardly had the opportunity to use it - too much family stuff going on; stopping the bride from shaking as we walked 'down the aisle', posing for photos etc afterwards. I decided to leave it to the pro in the end and just took a few shots when I had a breather and a glass of wine! Now the happy couple will be making us grandparents towards the end of the year!
06-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I have taken photos of my kids since they were born, and I think they consider it normal to see me with a camera. So regardless who else takes pictures I want to take pictures showing my side of the event. And, based on what I read here, I think I will take the 31mm only. I don't want to get into a posed photo event, rather, just my view of things. With the 31mm I get the opportunity to take available light much better than with the zoom. And I don't want to take time to change lenses etc.

ON edit: Day of the Dead (not Dad) will be the theme. Think a zombie wedding. Won't be the first Zombie wedding, but definitely a first for me!

John
06-24-2016, 04:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

congratulations !!!! I'm with Sandy on this one, leave the camera home and enjoy the wedding You'd want a professional, everything happens super fast with a lot of stress so ...
The FA31 is a great choice if you are the second shooter !
06-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Congratulations! Leave the flash at home. You don't want to be ruining the pro photographer's shots because your flash went off. Or at least keep it in your pocket until the reception. I'd say stick with the 31mm, but bring the 18-135 and leave it in your car. If you get annoyed enough with the limited focal length that it's worth leaving the reception to switch lenses, then it's worth switching lenses, otherwise you're probably just making more work for yourself.

actually, since you have the 15mm ltd, put that in a pocket of your suit to use if you need wide shots, and bring the 55-300 instead of the 18-135. Then you can get some candid shots from across the room.
06-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I agree with everyone who said that you should focus on enjoying the day.

To answer your question, you need a fast lens and preferably a zoom to deal with changing scenarios. I suggest a 17-50 or 16-50 2.8 lens. Or just your 31mm prime if you arn't purchasing anything.

If you paid a guy already, and still wanted to buy something... I think something like the GR II would be awesome for this sort of thing. It is small and doesn't beg you to stick the camera up to your face and miss moments in real life.