Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K3II Software glitch or signs of impending SR sensor DOOM?

So yesterday in the middle of a wedding ceremony I got my newest K3II on a tripod in the back with the 55-300mm HD, IS off, single shot, manual mode, iso 200, 1/60th, F5.6, normal AF, etc. and everything has been fine so far in that string of photos and I push the shutter and I hear what sounds like a tennis racket coming unstrung and the image is totally blurred. Hit it again, same thing. I wouldn't have been surprised if I had taken the lens off and had the mirror fly out, that's what it sounded like! Switched out immediately to my 2nd camera and finished the ceremony. Then when I had a chance afterwards, switched lenses (I probably turned it off and on too, I did not remove the battery) on the problem body and everything was normal again, and has been since for about 100 images more.

I'm guessing the SR wigged out and moved the sensor violently during those 2 exposures for some reason. It was around the 600 image mark for that camera and it has taken about 100 images since with no issues. I have been using the camera for a week and it's still within the return window.

I'm thinking it was a momentary software glitch and not a portend of a major camera issue... but I was also wondering if anyone had any other opinions.

06-26-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So yesterday in the middle of a wedding ceremony I got my newest K3II on a tripod in the back with the 55-300mm HD, IS off, single shot, manual mode, iso 200, 1/60th, F5.6, normal AF, etc. and everything has been fine so far in that string of photos and I push the shutter and I hear what sounds like a tennis racket coming unstrung and the image is totally blurred. Hit it again, same thing. I wouldn't have been surprised if I had taken the lens off and had the mirror fly out, that's what it sounded like! Switched out immediately to my 2nd camera and finished the ceremony. Then when I had a chance afterwards, switched lenses (I probably turned it off and on too, I did not remove the battery) on the problem body and everything was normal again, and has been since for about 100 images more.

I'm guessing the SR wigged out and moved the sensor violently during those 2 exposures for some reason. It was around the 600 image mark for that camera and it has taken about 100 images since with no issues. I have been using the camera for a week and it's still within the return window.

I'm thinking it was a momentary software glitch and not a portend of a major camera issue... but I was also wondering if anyone had any other opinions.
Could potentially also be an electrical issue, either caused by the lens mount or low/fluctuating battery voltage. Sounds like an isolated incident to me, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could potentially also be an electrical issue, either caused by the lens mount or low/fluctuating battery voltage. Sounds like an isolated incident to me, though

Yes, electrical issue could be it as well. I had taken about 250 photos up until then, I would think the battery would be good for another 100 or so at least, but it might have been the new battery too, and might need a couple of cycles to get up to 100%. Also, it totally self corrected when I changed lenses, so a poor lens contact could be it as well.

I was kind of in the thick of it when it happened so couldn't really record info or troubleshoot, I needed to just drive on.

And I agree, unless it starts happening again, I'd call it a one off too. Thanks!
07-09-2016, 03:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am very deceived with my K-3ii. I sent it back for repairs because of camera freeze AND flapping mirror.