Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #136

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
In my DSLR view finder I want to see the real thing, not a little video of it in the view finder, EVF no thank you.

Oh, The real thing is when you shoot with no proper exposure and then you move your eye from OVF, press Play and look into dark, or overbright picture ?

With EVF you can't miss it, and there is no need to move your eye away - WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET.
To me,
it sounds like a a MORE REAL, because I like speed when shooting, and like to instantly see what I'm getting with my manual parameters

07-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote

End of discussion here - best to all
this obviously was a lie
07-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #138

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
this obviously was a lie

ah, don't blame me to much - I like to share opinions
07-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #139
Site Supporter

Oh, The real thing is when you shoot with no proper exposure and then you move your eye from OVF, press Play and look into dark, or overbright picture ?
Sorry to hear that, is that how it is for you?

Coming from film and manual camera days, now digital and film, I always take care to expose the scene as best I can. OVF rules!!!
In fact I like the DSLR cameras that have articulated screens, (so it can be faced inwards), and not look at all with confidence.

Having said that, I must confess to being lazy sometimes and using what features the camera has eg. Av, TAv etc.

07-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #140

Sorry to hear that, is that how it is for you?

Coming from film and manual camera days, now digital and film, I always take care to expose the scene as best I can. OVF rules!!!
In fact I like the DSLR cameras that have articulated screens, (so it can be faced inwards), and not look at all with confidence.
it sounds like personal taste, no offence body, I like both systems as well - there is no reason for angry

many times I shoot with cameras on street, and sizes does matters A LOT - dslr are not street practical - and mirror less are.

many of my best shoots were done by small sized cameras - guess why - because they're with me in my pocket - and in right moment I just took it out - and BAM - my pic was with me.

DSLR would just sitting home, waiting for the right moment - and that moment would be stolen by smaller camera.

.--

So, I'm always - AND I MEAN ALWAYS - on the smaller sized cameras, because I'm right into the scene, with my tool, whenever the moment is.

You know why I bought Pentax K3 ? Because I need good quality for less money, and more "expensive needs for my clients" when I'm not shooting my art stuff.

I was not, and I would never ever shot street photography so extensively with K3, like with PEN, or Ricoh GR. ( in my case Caplio ).

----

And that cameras does not have even one of vievfinders Who need that anyway - it's usable for me only in few ocassions - when I'm not see anything on the screen because of sun

and I believe everybody will agree with me - the most of photography is about spontaneous moments. And in this field - winners are smaller cameras - at least for me

That's why I would love EVF over OVF. And luckilly for me, the hole market goes to this direction.

Last edited by panonski; 07-23-2016 at 05:22 PM.
07-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #141
Site Supporter

no not angry, just adamant about the fact, and I hope Pentax is listening, OVF rules man
07-24-2016, 01:50 AM   #142

no not angry, just adamant about the fact, and I hope Pentax is listening, OVF rules man

you'll be real surprised when I tell you I love the OVF after all of this

My second camera was Nikon F3, and with detachable prisma and you can look to your picture like you look to your Hasseblad

But after all my experiance with shooting I would love to see smaller camera, and OVF just make it bigger. Actually when I'm thinking about this,
this first days OVF full frame film cameras was pretty small , no matter OVF is inside - and maybe this size is managable again with digital.

Last edited by panonski; 07-24-2016 at 01:59 AM.
07-24-2016, 03:52 AM   #143
Site Supporter

first days OVF full frame film cameras was pretty small , no matter OVF is inside - and maybe this size is managable again with digital.
yes, I hope so, maybe MX size digital

07-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #144
Site Supporter

My 'pocket camera' is a Nikon P7100 - because it has a built-in OVF. It saves in RAW, and I was able to buy an inexpensive underwater case pressure rated to 40m.

I insist on an optical view finder because there are two situations where having a big LCD on the back of the camera just doesn't work:
1. bright sunlight. Your eyes will stop down for the ambient light and it is not possible to have a bright enough LCD to compensate (at least not without a bigger power supply). Sure, you can throw a jacket over your head like a big folding camera, or I went so far as to rob a one-time use camera of its viewfinder and attach it with velcro to a P&S Olympus.
2. hand-held photography in low light with longer shutter speeds. Putting that camera up to your face adds a lot more stability than holding it out from your body.

I have no doubt that someday there will be an 'up to the eye' EVF that can replace a OVF for a reasonable cost. In my opinion, we aren't there yet.

By the way, any time I have a choice, it is my Pentax dSLR that I use rather than my Nikon. Even with practice, the K-3's controls fall much more naturally to my hands than those on the P7100.
08-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
We all have our reasons for being here. I guess if AF is your priority then, you need at least a D7200 or a Canon equivalent.
For several reasons, including autofocus and availability of long lenses, I did make a change for my wildlife photography, keeping Pentax for my other photography. I've had my new camera/lens for a week and found that using two different cameras from different manufacturers is not as difficult as I anticipated.
08-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #146

Not certain what to expect as to the successor to the K3-II. Most of the wishlists i have seen look very much like the D500 specs. I am not entirely sold on a scaled down K-1 as the K-1 is already a somewhat scaled down version of the sony a7rII 42mix sensor as not to compete with Sony sales, however it is the first release of the K-1 so no criticism.
It is obvious that the K-3 AF will be one of the features that will need improving but what that will be is any ones guess as pentax has been slow with it's AF improvements although it's works fine for me except for a quirky focus hunting it seems to do at random.
I am looking for a full frame atm so what am i to do? Looks like more waiting is in my future or can APS-C do was well as full frame, some say yes but only certain third party lenses have the lenses that properly bring in a full frame size field down to a crop sensor size without a wide angle, and for the most part they avoid making pentax mounts.

As far as when Pentax will reveal the new K-3 i heard it will be at Photokina 2016.

By the way the only decent mirrorless at the moment is the Sigma SD Quattro series, at least as far as lens integration, low light, e.t.c. is concerned. However they are only about 3FPS burst, however the image quality is stunning even without their Pixel shift like mode which they also have that takes up to seven images to compare and combine.

Please don't troll me, camera forums have become far too adversarial to be enjoyable.

"It's never easy" Capt Dylan Hunt.
08-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #147

QuoteOriginally posted by hologram Quote
Not certain what to expect as to the successor to the K3-II. Most of the wishlists i have seen look very much like the D500 specs. I am not entirely sold on a scaled down K-1 as the K-1 is already a somewhat scaled down version of the sony a7rII 42mix sensor as not to compete with Sony sales, however it is the first release of the K-1 so no criticism.
It is obvious that the K-3 AF will be one of the features that will need improving but what that will be is any ones guess as pentax has been slow with it's AF improvements although it's works fine for me except for a quirky focus hunting it seems to do at random.
I am looking for a full frame atm so what am i to do? Looks like more waiting is in my future or can APS-C do was well as full frame, some say yes but only certain third party lenses have the lenses that properly bring in a full frame size field down to a crop sensor size without a wide angle, and for the most part they avoid making pentax mounts.

As far as when Pentax will reveal the new K-3 i heard it will be at Photokina 2016.

By the way the only decent mirrorless at the moment is the Sigma SD Quattro series, at least as far as lens integration, low light, e.t.c. is concerned. However they are only about 3FPS burst, however the image quality is stunning even without their Pixel shift like mode which they also have that takes up to seven images to compare and combine.

Please don't troll me, camera forums have become far too adversarial to be enjoyable.

"It's never easy" Capt Dylan Hunt.
Having most of the camera sensor market. Sony is in good position to control what and competitors camera is allowed to do and leave Sony in the lead at all times including sales, and that is a problem. Sigma just brought out an adapter for the Sony E-mount while the other lens brands do not seem to be generating any compatibility interest especially for Pentax. I'm not a pentaxian but what is this hate on for Pentax when it comes to third party lenses and adapters? I still can't find a Sigma SA to Pentax mount adapter. I made a makeshift SA mount adapter but it only works in manual mode but it works perfectly.
08-27-2016, 03:54 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The only reasons I'd expect a 16-50 replacement is to either do a cost-out version to reduce street price or to improve reliablity of the AF section of the lens
I would love a new APS-C standard zoom. At the start of this year I bought a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 HSM because I couldn't justify the sky high price of the DA* 16-50 f/2.8 for an optical performance that is no better than the Sigma (worse, if you believe the PF review) and the only advantage being weather sealing and better build quality.

I am very happy with the Sigma but really do miss the weather sealing. If Pentax added something similar to the HD DA 16-85 WR in terms of build and image quality, like a HD DA 16-55 f/2.8 WR PLM, for not more than $500, I'd sell my Sigma in an instant and be all over this.
08-27-2016, 04:37 AM   #149
Pentaxian

I would love to see an upgrade of the DA* 60-250 with a better AF Motor and extended a bit to 300. I also hope that the aperture lever will be retained. I guess that would also be too much to ask. Just thinking out loud.
10-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #150

So when is this successor supposed to come in line? April next year?