Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #61

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, there is certainly room. While it has some of the latest tech, like the K-30, K-50, and K-S2, the K-70 does not deliver the build quality or durability of the Pentax flagship line. It also does not incorporate the latest AF module.
But i think the sensor and cpu is the same like in the K3 II, isn´t it?

06-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #62
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Muldental Quote
But i think the sensor and cpu is the same like in the K3 II, isn´t it?
No, it's not the same CPU. Senors are similar but likely not the same due to the K-70's hybrid AF.

The K-70 and K-S2 have the PRIME M II, while the K-3 uses PRIME III and the K-1 uses PRIME IV. The K-70 has also received a dedicated chip for processing video AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Muldental Quote
An successor for the K3 Mk II would be an K3 Mk III?!. Hmm.. I think the K70 have so many features, is there some place for an camera between the K70 and K1? For me fullframe is to expensive, so when the K70 gets better in low light shooting, i will buy one. But my first DSLR the K30 i will never give away (BIG LOVE)
K3III ... ? I wouldn't bet on that.
The K70 doesn't really count as a "flagship" and I doubt if Ricoh ever improves it with better low light shooting.
If (when) Ricoh releases a successor to the K3(K3II), it would have to be more than just a few tweaks and labeled as a K3III.
My guess is that it would at least have to be including such things as better AF (AF-C/tracking), better noise handling at higher ISO settings while keeping a 24 MP sensor.
I am no expert but that would probably mean to have a whole new set of hardware features.

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenadonis Quote
Surely the K-3 will be replaced first as that was out a year or so before the K-3 II. Maybe they will both go at the same time and we will see a K-3 III... You've got to keep a top flight APSC sensor camera for those not intending on purchasing a full frame for a couple of years or so (or never)...
Surely it will one day be replaced but perhaps not as a K3III with little changes only.
06-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, it's not the same CPU. Senors are similar but likely not the same due to the K-70's hybrid AF.

The K-70 and K-S2 have the PRIME M II, while the K-3 uses PRIME III and the K-1 uses PRIME IV. The K-70 has also received a dedicated chip for processing video AF.
I am hoping that we jump to PRIME VII and SAFOX XXI

06-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I am hoping that we jump to PRIME VII and SAFOX XXI
If the flagship APSc is re-designated a 'reach' or 'wildlife' field camera I wouldn't be surprised to see AF.C better than on the K-1 and a higher frame rate than K-3, but I'm not predicting that. I don't believe Pentax will be equal with the tracking AF.C leaders for a long time.

I think it unlikely Pentax develops a new PDAF sensor for APS with more AF cross points (and another for FF, even with a special prism to spread the AF points) as well as an improved predictive algorithm, AND improved, constant CDAF video AF AND 8+ FPS, all in the next APSc platform.
06-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If the flagship APSc is re-designated a 'reach' or 'wildlife' field camera I wouldn't be surprised to see AF.C better than on the K-1 and a higher frame rate than K-3, but I'm not predicting that. I don't believe Pentax will be equal with the tracking AF.C leaders for a long time.

I think it unlikely Pentax develops a new PDAF sensor for APS with more AF cross points (and another for FF, even with a special prism to spread the AF points) as well as an improved predictive algorithm, AND improved, constant CDAF video AF AND 8+ FPS, all in the next APSc platform.
They've had bloody well enough time.

I think that it will be a K-1 crop camera. PRIME IV and much improved video AF.
I hope it doesn't get a flash and has a giant viewfinder instead.
06-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I doubt they will ever catch up with the leaders, as you well mentioned though.
As long as they improve the AF (AF.C/tracking) to a decent level and make it more high-ISO "friendly", I wouldn't mind them keeping the same burst rate as it is now.
I am only hoping for some decent improvements over the present K3/II .... perhaps they will surprise us?

---------- Post added 06-29-16 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shootfreeordiehard Quote
They've had bloody well enough time.

I think that it will be a K-1 crop camera. PRIME IV and much improved video AF.
I hope it doesn't get a flash and has a giant viewfinder instead.
I could live with that!
OTOH ... video doesn't interest me but I'm sure some would like to have improved video as well.

06-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #68

I own the K3II... so
no higher res needed so current MP shall be fine, nor flash either.

better iso performance would be great
better afc would be welcome
wifi/bluethoot/nfc whatever support would be nice
tilting screen as K1 would rock!
please keep the astrotracer and gps!
more focus points would be welcome too
any improvement on SR and pixel shift would be welcome
automatic lens calibration?

however the thing i would prefer most is that Tamron and Sigma start doing K mount lens again!
06-30-2016, 05:31 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Crop zone from the K-1 (with all its focus points) but having the pixel pitch of the K-3 would be great, yes?
06-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In finality, with all our wishes,and requests, I hope it's really something that will shock us. Send the new camera in!!!!!
06-30-2016, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
AF speed and accuracy is such a central feature these days. I know it is not simple by any means but Pentax really needs to catch up with the class leaders if they really want to cement their place in the marketplace.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I doubt they will ever catch up with the leaders, as you well mentioned though.
As long as they improve the AF (AF.C/tracking) to a decent level and make it more high-ISO "friendly", I wouldn't mind them keeping the same burst rate as it is now.
I am only hoping for some decent improvements over the present K3/II .... perhaps they will surprise us?

---------- Post added 06-29-16 at 10:37 PM ----------

I could live with that!
OTOH ... video doesn't interest me but I'm sure some would like to have improved video as well.
06-30-2016, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
AF speed and accuracy is such a central feature these days. I know it is not simple by any means but Pentax really needs to catch up with the class leaders if they really want to cement their place in the marketplace.

Agree 1000%. Pentax has advantages in IQ, built-in IS, and overall price point/value to features ratio. Whether others want to believe that or not, is their problem. I own the product, I've seen the difference. However, I think it's undeniable how far behind the competition Pentax/Richoh is with regard to AF C capabilities. I would easily pony up the cash for a new camera body, vs. any new lens needs or wishes, if the AF C was greatly improved.
06-30-2016, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Veteran Member

For me AF performance is "Fish or Cut Bait"
I will wait for the K3 follow on but not having AF performance up to industry standards is unacceptable for my photography. If Pentax doesn't get to that point with the K3 follow on - it is time for me to move on.
Everything else about the K3 is superb for my use and my ability as an amateur photographer, but AF performance is becoming a show stopper.
06-30-2016, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

I will wait for the K3 follow on but not having AF performance up to industry standards is unacceptable for my photography. If Pentax doesn't get to that point with the K3 follow on - it is time for me to move on.
Everything else about the K3 is superb for my use and my ability as an amateur photographer, but AF performance is becoming a show stopper.
I couldn't agree with you more...
We will have a chat when we meet up next weekend!

I love my K-3ii, I hope the successor is developed similarly with a focus on AF performance and high ISO.
I don't care for WiFi,
I don't care for tilt screens or touch screens,
I don't care for more MP, 24 is plenty!
I really don't care for a built in flash either.

ISO performance and AF performance need to be improved upon.

That Nikon D500 looks darn good right about now for my style of shooting.
I guess either way I should start saving up for what's next to come; either Pentax K-3iiS or Nikon D510.

EDIT:
I keep hearing people mention a possible firmware update for the K-3ii regarding AF-c performance.
I don't know much about that or if it's even possible, but in today's world where everything costs something...
I'll just go on record and say if they COULD update firmware to improve AF system, I would pay $$$ for said firmware.
I really love Pentax and would hate to sell off to another brand just because of AF.

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 06-30-2016 at 07:09 AM.
06-30-2016, 07:06 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We all have our reasons for being here. I guess if AF is your priority then, you need at least a D7200 or a Canon equivalent.