Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 07:13 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Actually it would probably be the D500 if the K3 follow on doesn't have AF up to the level of Canon and Nikon - say the Nikon 7200 which is a generation behind their current AF system

06-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Actually it would probably be the D500 if the K3 follow on doesn't have AF up to the level of Canon and Nikon - say the Nikon 7200 which is a generation behind their current AF system
Yeah, the D500 looks awesome.
Pricey though...

If I go that route I'll likely wait for the D510 to release though.
Then wait another 6 months for price to drop and issues to get resolved.
06-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

Well is it too much to ask for the DR and high iso performance of the Nikon D7200 (being that Pentax likes to buy older cmos chips and tweak them since they are cheaper) with more AF points and improved AF.C tracking?
06-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #79
Pentaxian

I don't know guys, after being out with those Terns with my K-3 and watching the camera with the DA*200 and 1.4, I held down the shutter, I could feel and hear the K-3 tracking locking and firing the shutter at approximately 4 frames a second. Compared to any Pentax before it was pretty darn good. Are you sure you know how to set up the camera for tracking?

06-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know much about technicalities of AF on cameras. I'm an accountant. I couldn't complain on the AF of the K-3II as I'm not really into heavy sports. But I think it would also help a lot if Pentax would upgrade the motors of its lenses. My 55-300 WR struggles a lot when it comes to AF tracking.
06-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know guys, after being out with those Terns with my K-3 and watching the camera with the DA*200 and 1.4, I held down the shutter, I could feel and hear the K-3 tracking locking and firing the shutter at approximately 4 frames a second. Compared to any Pentax before it was pretty darn good. Are you sure you know how to set up the camera for tracking?
Hold the AF button down, set it to AF-C with the front wheel and set focus zone as the center point + the surrounding 24 cross-type points with the rear wheel. Optionally, set AF hold to any desired level, depending on circumstances. And of course, put it into high-speed continuous.

Right?
06-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I don't know much about technicalities of AF on cameras. I'm an accountant. I couldn't complain on the AF of the K-3II as I'm not really into heavy sports. But I think it would also help a lot if Pentax would upgrade the motors of its lenses. My 55-300 WR struggles a lot when it comes to AF tracking.
I think this is one area where Pentax has shown some improvement. A few of the D FA Zooms Pentax D FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database have faster focus motors. I think that is the case with the 70-200 and the 150-450 I am not sure of the others but the Forum reviews should describe auto focus performance of the lenses. While it will not make your 55-300 faster there is/are alternatives available in the new Pentax lenses. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Ricoh makes the same progress with the K3 follow on.
06-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Agreed, but imho the 55-300 is not where the problem is. With all due respect, it's a consumer-level lens and as such you would expect lower performance. The 60-250 however is another story. Beautiful optics, excellent build quality... but tracking performance is worse than that 55-300, yet you pay more - a lot more.

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 02:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
B) New and Larger sensor. Just getting crazy here, but what if there were a budget FF camera like the 6d is for the canon line? Totally possible since they already put the time and effort into R&D on the K-1. Would it really be that crazy to see Pentax adopt a FF camera as the base model and promote "Crop Mode" for all aps-c lenses? I don't think so. This also lines up with their Bang! for Buck mentality.
I gotta tell you, sometimes I think some people on these forums are from another planet, like I am a human from planet Earth and you are pentaxians from the planet Pentax. If Pentax were to put a fullframe sensor in the K-3 II successor, I'll switch to Nikon or Canon (or Sony, or Fujifilm). I'm not going to pay for a sensor I'm using less than half the surface area of.

Anyway, my wish list is as follows:
- Include a tilt/swivel touchscreen.
- Include GPS (but put a flash in too, or come up with a small flash that can act as remote master).
- Improve the AF. More points, more spread out, better tracking. Also make it more decisive (lenses still tend to do micro-adjustments).
- Include wifi (but only if you have a good app, and from what I've heard, the current app is umm... yeah not so good).
- If possible, make it lighter than the K-3 II.

Things I don't want:
- Up the megapixel count. If anything, lower it to 20MP.
- More FPS. It's useless if the tracking AF can't keep up. And right now, it can't. So work on that please.
- Toggle function to use the directional pad as focus point selector. It's often on the "wrong" setting when I hit it while looking through the viewfinder. Solve it by either using the directional pad for WB, flash, drive mode etc normally and moving the focus point when holding the AF button down (or the reverse, should be configurable in the firmware), or give it a separate "joystick" like the Nikon D500 has to move the active focus point around.
- A random name like K-r or K-5 was (although that might just be my OCD talking).

I'm sure I'll think of more things to add later on.

Last edited by starbase218; 06-30-2016 at 05:28 PM.
06-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we just need to call the past the past and hope for better in the future, much better. While I feel the images I get with the DA300 are superb its autofocus performance is v e r y v e r y s l o w, a slow glide into focus while the subject moves quickly - a bad combination. My sense is the Pentax has turned the corner on lenses. While not as fast as the Nikon and Canon counterparts they are in the ballpark and cost less. I can live with in the ballpark AF performance. Based on shooting side by side with a lot of wildlife shooters in my new location over the past year and a half (not one other Pentax shooter), I know that the K3 is not in the ballpark. Yes some of the photographers' skills are better than mine but just as many have poorer skills yet get better AF performance from their cameras.
My Sigma 500 4.5 - a screw drive - beats the pants off any Pentax lens I own when it comes to AF performance. But the future of Pentax lenses looks bright.
06-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Canon and Nikon are not perfect either. They are not god on everything. And Canon on APSC is not great at all
06-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

Two biggies on my wishlist:

1) Optical focus aids on the focus screen. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) Maybe one of the dial buttons like on the K1. Except with a new position called AFOR for Auto Focus Over Ride. You move the dial to that position and then the little wheel can be used to fine tweak the focus to exactly where you want it. Real handy for macro or close focus work.
06-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #87
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
AF speed and accuracy is such a central feature these days. I know it is not simple by any means but Pentax really needs to catch up with the class leaders if they really want to cement their place in the marketplace.
so ... as I said .... "perhaps they will surprise us?"
06-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
  1. It's to be hoped that there would be an option to turn off a touch screen;
  2. Don't believe anything until you've tried one regularly. The K-1's movable LCD screen is a joy to use, speaking as someone who's used both tilt-and-swivel screens as well as the K-1 screen; and
  3. As with no. 1, a choice between icons and text is the best scenario, but I'm with you.
You are right. I have not tried the K-1 screen. But from what I have read and seen, it seems that it does not have the same overall flexibility as a standard tilt-and-turn screen. I also liked the tilt-and-turn I had on my old Canon superzoom that could be reversed when not being used to protect the screen.
06-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Feels like Christmas on this thread !

Dear Santa Pentax,

Your Pentax K-3 replacement should have:

Better 24mp sensor
Better high ISO
Flippy screen
AF selector go back to K-5 toggle switch with Back button AF in the middle
10 frames per second
Electronic shutter mode shooting
Improved AF tracking
Face and eye detect auto focus
200 focus points
AF point joy stick
Button to switch of/on SR

Lenses (the most critical)
Refurbish the whole lens lineup to improve AF.
Fix all the sluggish lenses.
Put in ring motors or multiple linear motors
Put in OIS that works in unison with IBIS (like Sony did)
Put on HD coatings
Make the best darn lenses so's that nobody will complain about the AF performance

Conclusion: Pentax made the K-1 because Pentaxians and others were calling for it. Now fix the lens line up and make them auto focus as people need, because people have been calling for this improvement for a long time.
07-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
You are right. I have not tried the K-1 screen. But from what I have read and seen, it seems that it does not have the same overall flexibility as a standard tilt-and-turn screen. I also liked the tilt-and-turn I had on my old Canon superzoom that could be reversed when not being used to protect the screen.
Indeed. I read somewhere in a review that the K-1's screen looks appears to be different for different's sake. It may have been implemented very well with a very sturdy construction, but that's quite another thing. Viewing angles on the K-1's screen are not as good as even those on my old Canon PowerShot A610 compact, or indeed the K-S1 or K-70. The only positive thing I can think of is that this kind of screen can be a little bigger because you don't need space for a hinge on the left side. OTOH it probably does make the camera a little fatter (those rods need to go somewhere), so that's a tradeoff.