Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 04:41 AM   #91
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
One other thing just crossed my mind: a better way to work with images shot in both RAW and JPEG on separate cards. When they are on the same card, they are seen as one image in playback mode. If I delete that image, it gives me the option of deleting the RAW, JPEG, or both files. I would like to have that option when the images are on separate cards too. I think it should be possible for the camera to search for the image on the other card, based on EXIF timestamp and/or filename. If it finds a match, it should offer the same choice as when they are shot on the same card.

O, and one other thing, which would make ISO-invariant shooting SO much more useful: HDR mode when playing back images. When half of your image is displayed as black, it's kind of hard to judge things like composition from the camera's rear screen. Preferably, HDR mode should be activated by holding down a button, so it is quick and easy to reach. There are plenty buttons that don't have a playback function yet, so there's no need to add a button for this.

Last edited by starbase218; 07-01-2016 at 04:48 AM.
07-01-2016, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know guys, after being out with those Terns with my K-3 and watching the camera with the DA*200 and 1.4, I held down the shutter, I could feel and hear the K-3 tracking locking and firing the shutter at approximately 4 frames a second. Compared to any Pentax before it was pretty darn good. Are you sure you know how to set up the camera for tracking?
Yes, I'm sure I know how to set up the camera for tracking...

I'm not bashing Pentax, and I'm not calling CANIKON god. I'm simply saying when you put down the K-3ii and pick up a D500 you'd be lying to yourself to say the AF performance is equal.

I love my K-3ii.
I love the DA*300.

I have no intention in leaving Pentax right now. I just hope there is a drastic improvement in the future or I will have to consider alternatives.

If there's a way to improve upon the K-3ii, I'd be set for a very long time. Everything about the camera is perfect for my needs, even the AF is reasonable most of the time. It's just frustrating when you do compare it in person and realize how far behind it is.

But I guess just like anything else there are tradeoffs you have to deal with.
07-01-2016, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When reviewers review pentax offerings and note that it's not a sports/wildlife camera due to AF speed not being snappy enough to deliver a high rate of keepers (like Tony Northrup did in his K1 review), I'm sure it turns off a lot of potential buyers who are thinking it's not the right camera to keep up with their active kids. They need to address this if they want their offerings to be mentioned alongside Canikon when "Joe Q Public" shows up at the camera shop looking to buy their first DSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Yes, I'm sure I know how to set up the camera for tracking...

I'm not bashing Pentax, and I'm not calling CANIKON god. I'm simply saying when you put down the K-3ii and pick up a D500 you'd be lying to yourself to say the AF performance is equal.

I love my K-3ii.
I love the DA*300.

I have no intention in leaving Pentax right now. I just hope there is a drastic improvement in the future or I will have to consider alternatives.

If there's a way to improve upon the K-3ii, I'd be set for a very long time. Everything about the camera is perfect for my needs, even the AF is reasonable most of the time. It's just frustrating when you do compare it in person and realize how far behind it is.

But I guess just like anything else there are tradeoffs you have to deal with.
07-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #94
Pentaxian

No one ever said it was equal. But what I did say, was given the lower resolution, and nearly equivalent frame rate, I'm not convinced for most of what I do you get more keepers. Considering that any image I actually capture will probably have more resolution with a K-3. If I take my images taken with a K-3, any image I take with any manual focus lens like my A-400 is going to be better than a D500 image based on resolution, unless the images is taken at 3200 ISO on the D500, and I'd probably toss that image anyway.

Any image I can capture using Pentax's somewhat slower AF system is going to be better from the K-3, based on the image being higher resolution.

Any image for which I use AF-s, turn off focus priority and use shutter priority and my subject doesn't move all that much, and that is the vast majority of my images, where I push the FPS to 8 FPS, again the image resolution is going to give my K-3 a clear advantage.

Where does the D500 have an advantage? A little bit of high ISO probably between 1600 ISO and 3200 ISO, and the rare circumstance when I use tracking (which is very rarely necessary) where the K-3 cannot track the subject, but the Nikon D500 can. SO just how big do you suppose that window might be? Only experience will tell.

But this is a straight trade off. AF speed for subject IQ in most shooting circumstances. Until someone shoots some side by side images we won't even be able to evaluate who this trade off might work for. But, it's not certain that for any but those shooters who shoot sports that involve a lot of speed, it will provide better images. It's giving up in the resolution battle to provide the fast but not the fastest APS-c burst speed. AF speed for those who need it..IN that sense it's a niche camera.

The thing I deal with constantly in this type of discussion is the notion that better AF gets you better pictures. The simple truth is that no AF with a larger format gets you better pictures. The realm of the fast AF camera is images you can't get with higher resolution cameras. Just buying a camera like the D500 means you've given up on K-1 or even K-3 image quality for that high speed lower res image. That's why I'm saying It's a niche camera.

Another example of that would be one of those huge cameras they use for aerial photgprahy. They are great at what they do, but do you really want one? Being really good at something only matters if it's the most important thing, and fast AF is irrelevant after the picture is snapped. You want to use the best image, whether it was taken by machine gunning a fast AF camera, or planning and capturing a great image with an MF lens buy triggering the shutter as at the moving subject move through a prefocussed position, if you can get it, the best image will be MF, prefocussed K-1. You have to give up on getting that image and settle for something less just by picking up a 1Dx or a D500, or even a D750. But for some, that is the right choice. Because the choice is between D500 and nothing. What hasn't happened yet is, no one has convinced me that this would be a meaningful choice for anyone.No one cares how fast your camera focusses , they care about what the image looks like. If in fact, they could have waited a half second for their camera to focus and achieved the exact same image with more detail, that image with more detail will probably be what they want. That's the situation most K-3 owner will be in faced with a in a K-3 vs D500 choice.

I see this camera as meaningful type addition to the Nikon family of cameras, in the same way the D3s was. And I expect it's sales to be about the same and it's production run to be as long. And honestly, how many Pentax users left Pentax for a D3s? I don't know of one. D750 yes, D800 D810 , yes, D3s, not one that I know of.

So my advice to those who honestly need it, would be, snap it up before its gone. You can't buy a D3s any more despite people whining and crying about low light performance, and you won't be able to buy a D500 very long, even with all these people whining about slow AF. They gave away to much to achieve their goal. But for those of you for whom it would be useful despite the trade offs, snap it up, Don't wait for the price to drop, you might wait too long. This is not going to become one of those cameras that sells a bazillion units to people of all photographic backgrounds. It simply costs too much for that. Over here in Pentax land, most of us would rather have a K-1, which would actually be cheaper.

I looked through the review on Imaging resources, and wondered, how did that guy get so many great wildlife images in such a short time, I can go weeks without seeing that much wildlife, but I also didn't see any images I couldn't have taken with a K-3.

I honestly think this should be the tone of Nikon's marketing.

It won't last long so get it while you can.
And I'm also willing to bet that people who honestly need what it has to offer, will treasure it for a long time. Who knows if there will ever again be something like it. Want evidence that that's going t be true? Try and buy a second hand D3s.

Last edited by normhead; 07-01-2016 at 10:27 AM.
07-01-2016, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No one ever said it was equal. But what I did say, was given the lower resolution, and nearly equivalent frame rate, I'm not convinced for most of what I do you get more keepers. Considering that any image I actually capture will probably have more resolution with a K-3. If I take my images taken with a K-3, any image I take with any manual focus lens like my A-400 is going to be better than a D500 image based on resolution, unless the images is taken at 3200 ISO on the D500, and I'd probably toss that image anyway.

Any image I can capture using Pentax's somewhat slower AF system is going to be better from the K-3, based on the image being higher resolution.

Any image for which I use AF-s, turn off focus priority and use shutter priority and my subject doesn't move all that much, and that is the vast majority of my images, where I push the FPS to 8 FPS, again the image resolution is going to give my K-3 a clear advantage.

Where does the D500 have an advantage? A little bit of high ISO probably between 1600 ISO and 3200 ISO, and the rare circumstance when I use tracking (which is very rarely necessary) where the K-3 cannot track the subject, but the Nikon D500 can. SO just how big do you suppose that window might be? Only experience will tell.

But this is a straight trade off. AF speed for subject IQ in most shooting circumstances. Until someone shoots some side by side images we won't even be able to evaluate who this trade off might work for. But, it's not certain that for any but those shooters who shoot sports that involve a lot of speed, it will provide better images. It's giving up in the resolution battle to provide the fast but not the fastest APS-c burst speed. AF speed for those who need it..IN that sense it's a niche camera.

The thing I deal with constantly in this type of discussion is the notion that better AF gets you better pictures. The simple truth is that no AF with a larger format gets you better pictures. The realm of the fast AF camera is images you can't get with higher resolution cameras. Just buying a camera like the D500 means you've given up on K-1 or even K-3 image quality for that high speed lower res image. That's why I'm saying It's a niche camera.

Another example of that would be one of those huge cameras they use for aerial photgprahy. They are great at what they do, but do you really want one? Being really good at something only matters if it's the most important thing, and fast AF is irrelevant after the picture is snapped. You want to use the best image, whether it was taken by machine gunning a fast AF camera, or planning and capturing a great image with an MF lens buy triggering the shutter as at the moving subject move through a prefocussed position, if you can get it, the best image will be MF, prefocussed K-1. You have to give up on getting that image and settle for something less just by picking up a 1Dx or a D500, or even a D750. But for some, that is the right choice. Because the choice is between D500 and nothing. What hasn't happened yet is, no one has convinced me that this would be a meaningful choice for anyone.No one cares how fast your camera focusses , they care about what the image looks like. If in fact, they could have waited a half second for their camera to focus and achieved the exact same image with more detail, that image with more detail will probably be what they want. That's the situation most K-3 owner will be in faced with a in a K-3 vs D500 choice.

I see this camera as meaningful type addition to the Nikon family of cameras, in the same way the D3s was. And I expect it's sales to be about the same and it's production run to be as long. And honestly, how many Pentax users left Pentax for a D3s? I don't know of one. D750 yes, D800 D810 , yes, D3s, not one that I know of.

So my advice to those who honestly need it, would be, snap it up before its gone. You can't buy a D3s any more despite people whining and crying about low light performance, and you won't be able to buy a D500 very long, even with all these people whining about slow AF. They gave away to much to achieve their goal. But for those of you for whom it would be useful despite the trade offs, snap it up, Don't wait for the price to drop, you might wait too long. This is not going to become one of those cameras that sells a bazillion units to people of all photographic backgrounds. It simply costs too much for that. Over here in Pentax land, most of us would rather have a K-1, which would actually be cheaper.
Like I said - I love my K3ii and DA*300...
I just yearn for better AF tracking.

Even aside from IQ and resolution, et. I actually love taking the photograph. Sure the end goal is a photo, but half the pleasure to me is getting out in the fields, feeling the camera and lens in hands, experiencing nature.
I haven't found a camera yet that feels as good as a K3 in hand... it's like they molded my hand for the design!
Not all will agree with me and that's fine.

I've held the D5 and it just doesn't feel right to me...

07-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Like I said - I love my K3ii and DA*300...
I just yearn for better AF tracking.

Even aside from IQ and resolution, et. I actually love taking the photograph. Sure the end goal is a photo, but half the pleasure to me is getting out in the fields, feeling the camera and lens in hands, experiencing nature.
I haven't found a camera yet that feels as good as a K3 in hand... it's like they molded my hand for the design!
Not all will agree with me and that's fine.

I've held the D5 and it just doesn't feel right to me...
Exactly why I chose Pentax, the K30 and K3 just felt right after the loss of my beloved Minolta
07-09-2016, 04:49 AM   #97
Pentaxian

K3ii update needs better AF and some K1 features like swivel screen, improved SR, ...
K1 update some time later needs better AF and should keep high res up.
Time wise expect an update for APS-C high-end and FF every 24 months. K3ii may be up early next year and K1s could be up a year later. In the meantie ADD LENSES.

07-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #98

Before updating the body, I think it is better to replace the lenses such 16-50, 60-250, 12-24, 16-45, with new coating and motor to improve AF speed. At least, releasing ultra wide zoom they promise since last year. After that, new Pentax K-3III is good to go. Ricoh shouldn't change too much on the body design, add more AF points, and 4K video.

Last edited by afan137; 07-09-2016 at 09:55 AM.
07-09-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is the 16-45 still in production? If so, why, when the 16-50 seems so much better in every way save for price? It wouldn't surprise me if they're selling old stock of the 16-45 and it is out of production already. An update to the 12-24 sounds nice, with maybe a change to variable aperture and a bit more narrow on the long end, like a 12-20 F3.2-4.5? Just to get the size and cost down (assuming that helps).

Personally I'd think the 16-50 with a switch to DC AF for cost and reliability improvements seems like a smart way to go, but it wouldn't be as quiet, so some folks may not like that idea.
07-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree. If we want better AF, Pentax should also improve lens AF motors.
07-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #101
mee
Veteran Member

If we had focus limiters on our lenses (esp all zooms) that would help I think.. at least it would theoretically quicken the focus time if you knew the subject was going to be within a given distance range.

One other thing I'd like to see is a way to delete individual folders quickly off of an SD card. If I want to quickly clear space and delete say images from 3 days ago.. then I'd like to see an ability to quickly cycle through and select just those images. Probably in a dated folder.. but any particular folder should be selectable with the ability to lock whole folders too.

---------- Post added 07-09-16 at 07:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Personally I'd think the 16-50 with a switch to DC AF for cost and reliability improvements seems like a smart way to go, but it wouldn't be as quiet, so some folks may not like that idea.
Yes.. I have the 18-135 (DC) and the 16-50 (SDM). I think the 18-135 focuses just a little bit quicker even though there is a faint electric whine when the motor is operating. It isn't bad at ALL for me and I'd welcome the DC motor on an improved 16-50 (along with HD coatings and an optical upgrade).
07-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #102
Pentaxian

I'm hoping for improved AF & high ISO IQ.

Hopefully Pentax will give us specs before the end of the year. That will determine whether I get a K-3II by the end of this year or keep shooting my K-50 for another 3 years or so & eventually get the next APS-C flagship when it's about to be replaced with the next generation flagship.
07-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am certain it wont be a feature added, but I was thinking about this the other day. It would be niche but a super cool feature if you could set your camera to "lightening mode", where it waits until a large flash occurs and then takes a shot with pre set up exposure. There are specialty triggers that do this, but why not build it into a camera body? It would be another feather in the pentax cap.
07-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
One other thing I'd like to see is a way to delete individual folders quickly off of an SD card. If I want to quickly clear space and delete say images from 3 days ago.. then I'd like to see an ability to quickly cycle through and select just those images. Probably in a dated folder.. but any particular folder should be selectable with the ability to lock whole folders too.
Already possible as of the K-3 (and maybe earlier).
When you're in playback use the rear scroll wheel to zoom out. The next step after full screen image is tiny thumbnails, followed by folder view. You can select and delete an entire folder. (No way to protect a whole folder that I can find though.)

On a K-3 go to settings (wrench icon) page 2 and change 'Folder Name' to Date instead of PENTX. (It's probably similar in other later versions as well, but I can't tell you which menu page.) This will create a new folder each day you shoot. Folders will still be numbered sequentially, but the second number is the month/day the pictures were taken. (eg. 137_0711 for July 11 instead of 137_PENTX) When you zoom out to folder view in playback the icons will have the first sequential number and the top right corner of the display will show the full folder name of the selected folder so you can see the date.
07-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #105
Pentaxian

If my memory serves me right, the K-3II was officially announced sometime April 2015. I wouldn't expect its replacement this year if it will not be announced by September. Just my own thoughts, I think it may be announced April 2017. I'm looking forward to improvements on AF and image quality at high ISOs.