Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only reasons I'd expect a 16-50 replacement is to either do a cost-out version to reduce street price or to improve reliablity of the AF section of the lens. And I think that's been done already as a running change but I may be wrong on that. In any case, the 16-50 seems like a great APS-C lens for most any purpose. That 12-28 seems like a nice lens to replace the 12-24.

A full-frame compatible prime in the mid-20's still interests me personally and would fill what seems like a really odd hole in Pentax's lineup. They've got a couple of old optical designs to pull from, with the FA 24 f2 or the F 28 f2.8 to work from. Something around those lenses in terms of quality and cost would be great; not an FA 31 Ltd but not a DA 35 f2.4, either. If we average those two lenses, we get an 26mm f2.something-around-5 which appeals greatly to me on APS-C. Not sure what the FF folks would think of something like that. Just make it sharp in the center from the fastest f-stop and I'd like some weather resistance, please.

06-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I actually came to make a similar thread. With the k-70 out and the K-1 out, I expect the next camera to be a k3ii/apsc flagship replacement.

Are we getting the d500 sensor? Something new? Or a continuation of the current very good 24mp?

Will we get a higher flash sync?

New AF module and same/higher frame rate?

Tilt screen and wifi and gps are all probably a given. So is the k-1's SR and pixel shift. Mode dial?
06-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I dont need to guess
Honestly, I hate when you do that!
06-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Honestly, I hate when you do that!
It's like being tickled, I reckon. You may hate it, but it makes you laugh.

My guess is an announcement at Photokina, 20-25 September 2016. They've cleared the decks with the new flagship K-1, and the entry-level (or should that be mid-level? I confess to some confusion over the hierarchical status of the K-S2 and the K70, especially as the K-S1 is now discontinued) K70 cameras. Three months is a long time between announcements in the current climate.

I wouldn't like to guess about a name, but let's call it the K-3iii for the sake of argument. The AF from the K-1 is almost guaranteed, I think, and maybe the articulating LCD. I'd hesitate to suggest a higher pixel count, but improved low-light performance from the current 24MP sensor is a probable feature, along with built-in WiFi.

Video? Who knows?

06-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I believe that the AF will be improved a bit. I saw a video posted here (originally posted in youtube) showing that the AF of the K-70 has been significantly improved compared to the other entry level Pentax cameras. I would like to see how good is the image quality of the K-70 particularly with low light high ISO shots. I'm sure some of the developments of the K-70 is an intro to the K-3II replacement.

Too bad I just bought my K-3II last year. Now I don't have the cash to buy a new one. Arrgggghhhh!
06-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I dont need to guess
You're probably shooting the hell out of the prototype right now, aren't you, you lucky b@st@rd.

It must be agony, knowing all and forced to say nothing.
06-28-2016, 01:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

No no no. Kenspo isn't shooting prototypes. He already has one for release this September kept in secret inside his closet. He painted a K-3II on it so that it will be in disguise but, actually it's a K-3II replacement.

06-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hehe..No..I only use my K-1's
06-28-2016, 02:30 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I really really want on a new model is the ability to press AF button with thumb and have the ability to choose an individual AF point via the back wheel, ie. cycle through the AF points individually rather than using a toggle and 4-way button, I know this is a Canon feature but it is a good one and makes choosing an AF point or group of points much more easily. Please listen Ricoh/Pentax developers
06-28-2016, 03:46 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
What I really really want on a new model is the ability to press AF button with thumb and have the ability to choose an individual AF point via the back wheel, ie. cycle through the AF points individually
Internet wars will be fought over the order of cycling and the ability or lack thereof to change this to suit. Invariably some people will be dissatisfied and Pentax will be DOOOMED!!! (Pexit? )
06-28-2016, 03:56 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm hoping for:
1. 5-axis IBIS
2. Improved AF.C
3. Swivel, touch screen (probably unlikely) lcd
4. Improved low light performance sensor (doesn't need to have more MP)
5. Improved CDAF that is coming with K70
6. Wifi
7. Focus peaking with selectable colors
8. Surprise me!
06-28-2016, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Internet wars will be fought, the order of cycling will be dissatisfied and Pentax will be DOOOMED!!! (Pexit? )
For the night is dark and full of horrors, but, a new dawn will appear, the dawning of a new pentax age

---------- Post added 28-06-16 at 09:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Swivel, touch screen
yes, why not, I’d enjoy this feature
06-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Surprise me!
I suspect what we'll get is an APS-C version of the K-1, with all the sensor stabilisation, signal processing and AF goodies, but keeping the same 24MP pixel pitch as the K-3 line. This will enable Pentax to spread the K-1's R&D costs around and in the long run lower the cost of both platforms.
06-28-2016, 04:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I suspect what we'll get is an APS-C version of the K-1, with all the sensor stabilisation, signal processing and AF goodies, but keeping the same 24MP pixel pitch as the K-3 line. This will enable Pentax to spread the K-1's R&D costs around and in the long run lower the cost of both platforms.
I hope it will be the size of the k-5 or k-3. Nothing bigger but probably smaller would do.
06-28-2016, 05:05 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Internet wars will be fought over the order of cycling and the ability or lack thereof to change this to suit. Invariably some people will be dissatisfied and Pentax will be DOOOMED!!! (Pexit? )
I was thinking earlier this morning someone would start some x-it line.

I'm leaving this thread now.

Pexit.