Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Don't really care for K3 successor but would love to see Pentax offering K-mount mirrorless with Sony like form factor and EVF.
That would basically be a sony a6000/a6300 so why not buy those?

06-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
That would basically be a sony a6000/a6300 so why not buy those?
Doing that already, just that it doesn't AF with my k-mount lenses
06-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would make sense to leverage some of the technology in the K1 into the new APS-C. But Pentax could use the new camera to address some of its short-comings relative to those "other" brands, such as focusing. It would be also interesting to see if they would upgrade the video capabilities and perhaps take the K1's low-light capabilities to the next level in the successor to the K3ii. I have a K3 and love it. More resolution is always great. But I feel like we are getting to a point that unless you make massive prints, or consistently crop severely, there are other areas that could benefit more than a higher mp sensor. Consider that the pixel density for the K3 is 6.66 MP/cm² compared to 3.53 MP/cm² for the 645Z (yes, it is much, much larger sensor) for the sake of discussion it illustrates how much resolution is already in the K3. I'd rather see them slash the amount of noise than increase the sensor size. I think that would be more valuable on a day-to-day basis for more photographers.
06-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tcwilson Quote
It would make sense to leverage some of the technology in the K1 into the new APS-C. But Pentax could use the new camera to address some of its short-comings relative to those "other" brands, such as focusing. It would be also interesting to see if they would upgrade the video capabilities and perhaps take the K1's low-light capabilities to the next level in the successor to the K3ii. I have a K3 and love it. More resolution is always great. But I feel like we are getting to a point that unless you make massive prints, or consistently crop severely, there are other areas that could benefit more than a higher mp sensor. Consider that the pixel density for the K3 is 6.66 MP/cm² compared to 3.53 MP/cm² for the 645Z (yes, it is much, much larger sensor) for the sake of discussion it illustrates how much resolution is already in the K3. I'd rather see them slash the amount of noise than increase the sensor size. I think that would be more valuable on a day-to-day basis for more photographers.
Well, that is what has been discussed in earlier posts indeed: "better" AF and noise issues, although the latter can be "easily" dealt with in PP.
Also, having 24 MP on the K3 sensor is already quite enough (personally).
Now whether or not an improved video capability would be one of the main features for a successor to the K3/II remains to be seen.

I am looking forward to see what Ricoh has in store for us in the not-so-distant future!

06-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #50

new to the site everyone, my first post/reply...

I own a K3 (and a Kr), and love it! Like others have mentioned, a better focusing system seems like the one, massive differentiator between Pentax and those other brands. My good friend just bought a new APC Canon, not the top of line, and his body comes with 61 AF points!! His new camera has more cross type points, than my K3 has points! I realize, the total number of AF points isn't everything, but I can definitely notice issues locking on to moving subjects with the K3. It hunts way too much, and not just in low light situations, in my non-professional opinion. Honestly, other that AF points/functioning, there's nothing about the K3 that I would trade for the other features his Canon has. Image quality included.
06-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm with you - a K3 with a state of the art AF.C/Tracking system (fast, accurate and with solid tracking) and I am ready to order two of them.
06-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #52
Veteran Member

WOW...

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Tilt / Swivel screen > Yes
Flash > Probably not
GPS > Yes
Wifi > Yes
USB3 > Yes
Dual Card > Yes
Sensor>>>>>> I have two predictions
A) New, Higher MP sensor. (30mp or so) >> Most realistic <<
B) New and Larger sensor. Just getting crazy here, but what if there were a budget FF camera like the 6d is for the canon line? Totally possible since they already put the time and effort into R&D on the K-1. Would it really be that crazy to see Pentax adopt a FF camera as the base model and promote "Crop Mode" for all aps-c lenses? I don't think so. This also lines up with their Bang! for Buck mentality.

any ways... just my two cents.
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That doesn't really help the APS-C lineup though.. to make another FF body.

I think it more realistic to expect a dedicated APS-C top tier body instead.

I'd be surprised if we see touch screen.. seems really gimmicky and Pentax, on the whole, seems to shy away from gimmicks. Even if you consider the 3rd knob/wheel a gimmick, they could have added touch to that model but opted for the tactile dials instead.

I'm more interested in learning of the AF system included specifically with subject tracking. That and if we see full 30 fps 4k video recording which I think in the realm of possible... not that I'll often use it.. or at all.

Seems pretty obvious we'll get the improved screwdrive from the K-1 and some form of flip/tilt screen. NFC and WIFI too.. and the tethering stuff.

Next, of course, is pricing. With the K-1 coming in at 1800 USD. Can they really price the next crop body at 1100 or so? Complete guess -- it comes in at 999 USD

---------- Post added 06-27-16 at 10:18 PM ----------

Sure why not?

I'm guessing (well in this case more so hoping) for a 16-50mm replacement and that 12-28mm that has been on the roadmap for ages.
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I'm hoping for:
1. 5-axis IBIS
2. Improved AF.C
3. Swivel, touch screen (probably unlikely) lcd
4. Improved low light performance sensor (doesn't need to have more MP)
5. Improved CDAF that is coming with K70
6. Wifi
7. Focus peaking with selectable colors
8. Surprise me!

Having only had my K3ii for a few weeks, and having had VERY little time with it, I'm awe-struck by Pixel Shift, and just hope for a magnitudes faster implementation of it so we can do it hand-held and with moving subjects. Can't believe no one has suggested this yet.

I'am also amazed how much BETTER the K3ii is compared to the K5 (no 1). Wow. They look the same, but they sure don't work the same. Pentax has made HUGE progress in four year. Can't wait to see what the next few years bring in APSC.

Cheers,
Cameron

06-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I'm with you - a K3 with a state of the art AF.C/Tracking system (fast, accurate and with solid tracking) and I am ready to order two of them.
Put me on the pre-order list already!!
06-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Doing that already, just that it doesn't AF with my k-mount lenses
Even if Ricoh were to do that they probably wouldn't make an adapter with screw drive AF.
06-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #55
Veteran Member

When... November I reckon

What? I can't see any advantage in upping APS C resolution, I think it's at its finite limit, but faster AF would be awesome.
06-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Put me on the pre-order list already!!
I am hopeful for a K3 follow on with AF.C on a par with Canon and Nikon and will wait for what Pentax/Ricoh come up with. Photokina is September so I am guessing something should be announced or "leaked" in about 2 months. I have a one week wildlife photography trip to the Everglades in January and it will be with a camera with decent AF.C and tracking.

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 06-29-2016 at 01:31 PM.
06-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish people would stop asking for hand held pixel shift. It doesn't make sense. Assuming you're shooting a scene where you've set your shutter speed to x, with pixel shift you're dividing that speed by the number of PS photos that need to be taken (that many times slower) - and asking the camera to merge them. For anything but a stationary subject, this is pretty much an impossible task, given either camera shake or subject movement. I think it's the wrong horse to be asking for.
06-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #58

An successor for the K3 Mk II would be an K3 Mk III?!. Hmm.. I think the K70 have so many features, is there some place for an camera between the K70 and K1? For me fullframe is to expensive, so when the K70 gets better in low light shooting, i will buy one. But my first DSLR the K30 i will never give away (BIG LOVE)
06-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #59

Surely the K-3 will be replaced first as that was out a year or so before the K-3 II. Maybe they will both go at the same time and we will see a K-3 III... You've got to keep a top flight APSC sensor camera for those not intending on purchasing a full frame for a couple of years or so (or never)...
06-29-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #60
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Muldental Quote
An successor for the K3 Mk II would be an K3 Mk III?!. Hmm.. I think the K70 have so many features, is there some place for an camera between the K70 and K1? For me fullframe is to expensive, so when the K70 gets better in low light shooting, i will buy one. But my first DSLR the K30 i will never give away (BIG LOVE)
Yes, there is certainly room. While it has some of the latest tech, like the K-30, K-50, and K-S2, the K-70 does not deliver the build quality or durability of the Pentax flagship line. It also does not incorporate the latest AF module.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: