Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
upgrading from K5 IIs to?

I have the K5IIs, and several lenses, ( DA70, FA43, D55-300 HD, and vivitarA 100mm macro thinking about moving up to K3, I don't need gps on K3II prefer flash. Have the problems with shutter flap on K3 been resolved? Can I use same batteries (L190) as my K5? Any advice?

06-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 is a good upgrade path. The mirror flop issue was isolated and not a widespread QC concern, so you should be fine

QuoteOriginally posted by gmachine Quote
L190
Yes, the same D-Li90 batteries.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K5iis 4 LIFE !!! ONLY WAY OUT IS DEATH.
seriously though, i dont think k3 is that much better than k5iis.
wait til December, they gonna clearance K3 with grip and lens bundle like they did with K5iis
I will upgrade when K3+grip for around $500-$600
for now imma chill with my k5iis
06-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

K-3 is excluded from the PLM lens update. Not that it is a huge situation, but Ricoh is already phasing it out it seems. I'd go for a K-3II now or wait and see if a K-3 III (or whatever the upgrade's name becomes) happens at the end of this year.

---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 10:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twuynh Quote
K5iis 4 LIFE !!! ONLY WAY OUT IS DEATH.
seriously though, i dont think k3 is that much better than k5iis.
wait til December, they gonna clearance K3 with grip and lens bundle like they did with K5iis
I will upgrade when K3+grip for around $500-$600
for now imma chill with my k5iis
I said the same thing last Nov and they didn't have the big blowout sales on K-3's even though the K-3 II was out..

06-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
Forum Member

gear chasing is an endless journey.
we all think the newer version will help us get that perfect shot
but in really, only photoshop will get you there. so yeah. buy Lynda membership
06-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the K5IIs, and several lenses, ( DA70, FA43, D55-300 HD, and vivitarA 100mm macro thinking about moving up to K3, I don't need gps on K3II prefer flash. Have the problems with shutter flap on K3 been resolved? Can I use same batteries (L190) as my K5? Any advice?
Not sure if any of K3 or K3II is a major update (while improve on AF, also seen more noise with the 24MP sensor), unless you getting a K1.
I will either get K1, or wait for the next flagship APSC.
06-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for all the replys

Yes I think I will wait till later and keep my K5IIs for now. K1 is a little more than I want to spend. Will see what Pentax comes out with next, I think the K70 is not what I want, had a K50 and sent it back too noisy. I like my K5IIs but was hoping to upgrade. The K3 had its problems in the past with mirror flop issue which kept me from upgrading before. I guess I will wait, but wife finally agreed, that I could spend the money for my birthday next month. lol

06-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes I think I will wait till later and keep my K5IIs for now. K1 is a little more than I want to spend. Will see what Pentax comes out with next, I think the K70 is not what I want, had a K50 and sent it back too noisy. I like my K5IIs but was hoping to upgrade. The K3 had its problems in the past with mirror flop issue which kept me from upgrading before. I guess I will wait, but wife finally agreed, that I could spend the money for my birthday next month. lol
The K5s are operationally slow. The K3 saves files so much faster and the extra AF points are useful if you use fast lenses or like to shoot portraits.

You also have dual card slots which is a great safety feature for critical shoots, say a wedding.

The extra resolution is also useful if you like to crop shots if you shoot say sports or wildlife.

I have the original K5 and while nice is definitely the infrequently used backup.
06-29-2016, 03:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It depends on what you shoot. I have a K-5II and find it adequate for sports such as football, baseball and soccer. The low light performance of a K-5II is better than the K-3 as well. If you shoot landscapes frequently then the additional resolution would be desirable. Why not spend a few bucks on new glass. Lenses are a great investment as they significantly outlast camera bodies. A HD DA 21 or HD DA 15 would be stellar to add to your kit.

I had the same dilemma this year as well, considering a K-3 but bought a D FA 100 macro WR, a Cactus V6 radio transceiver and two Cactus RF60 radio controlled flashes to expand my shooting options. Investing in glass or lighting is always a solid investment that you won't regret.
06-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Or you can wait till the K3II replacement is announced (whenever that is in the next 6-ish (or so) months).
07-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the K5iis and the K3. there isn't anything to run out the door to buy if I could do it over again.
Darn impulses

Randy
07-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I held back the urge when the K-3 and then the K-3 II came out. Stuck with my K-5 IIs and I honestly have yet to see a good reason to call a move from the K-5 IIs to either of its successors an "upgrade". Dual slots are very interesting, pixel-shift could be nice to play around with on 0.01% of my shots. Some other similar "features" which seem not so grand if you stop to look at them carefully. I do not want to go FF so the K-1 is out (for many reasons).

All in all if the K-5 IIs, which could be described as one of Pentax's most successful bodies of the past years, still does what it must and does so competently - why change a winning horse? What would be the purpose?