Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Lost pictures on K-3 II

I bought a K-3 II last week, and so far all is good, but something peculiar happened today: I took a couple dozen photos over a couple of hours, fortunately all just experimenting. I then noticed that the battery indicator was down a bar, so I swapped the battery for a fully charged one. After that, I looked for my pictures on the camera, and there were none. I had reviewed these previously on the camera, so I know they were there at one point. I had not removed the card or formatted it.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I didn't turn the camera power off before removing the battery. Would doing that somehow remove data that had already been saved to the card? Nothing in the manual says anything like that, and I can't believe I never did it before with any of my other bodies, and I never lost a card-full of pictures before. I took a couple of test photos, shut the camera off, removed and replaced the battery, and the pictures were still there.

These photos didn't amount to much, but I certainly wouldn't want this behavior repeated when I have the card full of ones I really want. If anyone has observed this or has any insights into this behavior, I'll appreciate hearing from you.

Chuck

07-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chuck, any chance you can read the card directly on your computer? Once the pics have been written to the card, simply removing the battery should have no effect on the SD card.
07-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Chuck, the K-3II has two card slots, any chance you have two cards inserted? The camera will sometimes swap card slots.

As Chip says, check the card on your camera to see if they are actually there.

And no, not turning off the camera before pulling the battery is not going to hurt anything, not recommended exactly, but I've done it many times. The only issue might be loss of a single image if it had not been written out to the card yet, (light still flashing).
07-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck1955 Quote
I bought a K-3 II last week, and so far all is good, but something peculiar happened today: I took a couple dozen photos over a couple of hours, fortunately all just experimenting. I then noticed that the battery indicator was down a bar, so I swapped the battery for a fully charged one. After that, I looked for my pictures on the camera, and there were none. I had reviewed these previously on the camera, so I know they were there at one point. I had not removed the card or formatted it.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I didn't turn the camera power off before removing the battery. Would doing that somehow remove data that had already been saved to the card? Nothing in the manual says anything like that, and I can't believe I never did it before with any of my other bodies, and I never lost a card-full of pictures before. I took a couple of test photos, shut the camera off, removed and replaced the battery, and the pictures were still there.

These photos didn't amount to much, but I certainly wouldn't want this behavior repeated when I have the card full of ones I really want. If anyone has observed this or has any insights into this behavior, I'll appreciate hearing from you.

Chuck
If you press the blue card switch button, the camera will swap cards in playback mode. Chances are that's what's happening.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aha!

The pictures were on the card in slot 2. I'm not sure how they got there; I have it set to record sequentially, and everything I see in the manual suggests the data goes to slot 1 first. Anyway, no pictures lost. Next time I'll check both cards in playback mode.

I do have another question about sequential mode. My understanding with single card camera bodies has been that if your card is really full and you take a picture when there is not enough room for it, you can corrupt the whole card and lose everything. In sequential mode, if there isn't enough room on card 1 for that next photo, does it divide it between the two cards or put the whole thing on card 2?

BTW, I'm impressed with the write speed of this camera, vs the K-5. I use the continuous modes a lot when shooting animal pictures, and the K-3 II gets them onto the card noticeably faster.

Chuck
07-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I see in the manual suggests the data goes to slot 1 first
This can be changed by turning on the camera with no card in slot 1. The camera switches to slot 2 and when you put a card back into slot 1, the camera stays on slot 2. Tricky, and it has been a source of confusion.

My understanding with single card camera bodies has been that if your card is really full and you take a picture when there is not enough room for it, you can corrupt the whole card and lose everything.
I've actually never heard of that happening. Certainly not with a Pentax camera in my experience. And I've had 'card full' many, many times.

In sequential mode, if there isn't enough room on card 1 for that next photo, does it divide it between the two cards or put the whole thing on card 2?
It would go to card 2, it will never split a file.
07-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This can be changed by turning on the camera with no card in slot 1. The camera switches to slot 2 and when you put a card back into slot 1, the camera stays on slot 2. Tricky, and it has been a source of confusion.

I've actually never heard of that happening. Certainly not with a Pentax camera in my experience. And I've had 'card full' many, many times.

It would go to card 2, it will never split a file.
I had something similar happen recently and for whatever reason the images were stored on card 2 instead of card 1.....never did figure it out.
07-05-2016, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I had something similar happen recently and for whatever reason the images were stored on card 2 instead of card 1.....never did figure it out.

07-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

I've found that sometimes the current card can seem to change for no reason, splitting my pictures between the different cards. The only surefire way to make sure it writes to a specific card is to slide the write lock tab to the locked position on the other card. Another advantage is the camera will stop taking pictures once the first card fills up, forcing you to notice that you are already halfway through your memory when you have to unlock the second card. (Though at a wedding or one time event you might not want to do this. Better to have files split on two cards than to miss something important!)
07-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Figured it out

You know what, yes I did turn the camera on with Slot 1 empty. I had uploaded a bunch of photos the day before (I remove the card and put it in a card reader), and did turn the camera on by mistake before putting the card back in. Tricky, but no real problem since the pictures weren't lost.

Thanks for all the replies.

Chuck