Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

First things to do when a new K-3 ii arrives?

Off the top of my head, I believe I should probably do the battery charge to the full. But is there anything I else need to do? Maybe find out shutter counts? firmware update? adjust some settings?

07-05-2016, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No new firmware for K-3II AFAIK.

I keep a list of menu items I always change to set the camera up the way I want as I change bodies. So the first thing I do is configure the camera, and copyright info and so on. That way I know how it should respond to the controls, easier to detect something wrong that way.

I suppose the really first thing is just a walk through of all the parts in the box, to make sure everything is there, then a review of the camera functions. Then I setup the menus.
07-05-2016, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

First thing is to go out and enjoy your new tool! ;-)
07-05-2016, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Mount a lens, insert the battery, turn it on (there should be enough charge for at least a few shots). Make sure all the basics are working - mode change, aperture manipulation, etc. Take a few pictures. Make sure at the very least that it doesn't have to go straight back to the seller for being terminally defective out of the box. THEN charge the battery all the way up and worry about the menus.

While you're waiting for the charge, read the manual unless it's a backup or replacement body identical to one you already own. If it isn't, find out what's changed compared to your old camera. Then go out and shoot the hell out of it as @max_pyne suggested.

07-05-2016, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from K-S1 to K-3 II and the first thing I did with K-S1 and now K-3 II was to go through
1 through 6. I downloaded the videos to my hard drive and watching when time permits. Helps a lot.
07-05-2016, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
I believe I should probably do the battery charge to the full.
First and most important, the battery. (I am at odds with some advice above, but putting a full charge on the battery will not affect your rights to exchange or return to the dealer and is most likely to result in consistent camera behavior.)
Second and almost as important is to take a walk through the user manual. You can download the manual and get started before the camera arrives.
Third would be to run through the suggested settings list on this site:

Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I did not follow all of the advice, but still found it helpful.

Steve
07-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
I upgraded from K-S1 to K-3 II and the first thing I did with K-S1 and now K-3 II was to go through David Hancock's videos 1 through 6. I downloaded the videos to my hard drive and watching when time permits. Helps a lot.
Thank you, great help!

---------- Post added 07-05-16 at 03:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
First and most important, the battery. (I am at odds with some advice above, but putting a full charge on the battery will not affect your rights to exchange or return to the dealer and is most likely to result in consistent camera behavior.)
Second and almost as important is to take a walk through the user manual. You can download the manual and get started before the camera arrives.

Steve
Thank you so much!
07-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
+1. Well saId.