Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mirror up shooting - when do you use it?

Hi,

I'm little bit confused about mirror up shooting, and I would like your user reviews of that option, and when do you use it,

and when it's not practical to use it at all.

For me, mirror is just a flap thing, useful to see picture without having to turn on the camera, and I believe we're all aware of photo industry trend to move the mirror out - in most of, or even all cameras, no matter what is better, cause mirror less systems having the huge step forward in almost all situations, stating the fact the cameras are smaller, lighter, with less parts which can broke.
and electronic viewfinder is much much improved, and it is already better then mirror in many situations

Pentax is step behind in this trend, and this is not so good thing for the company, but I believe Pentax watch out for this, and soon we shall see new mirror less products. ( hope so )

----

But I'm not opening this thread for stating facts pro, or opposite mirrorless system, it's irrelevant here.

----

I just want to know in which cases you actually use Mirror Up Shooting, and when this shooting is not possible in K3.

Thank you for your attention

07-11-2016, 05:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I use it (via 2 sec timer) every time I take a shot that needs, or is better off with a tripod.
07-11-2016, 05:10 AM   #3

As JohnX stated, basically whenever I have the camera on a tripod, I use the mirror up function, either with a remote shutter release or a two-second timer. Doing that shuts off the SR feature automatically IIRC, which is a good thing for a stationary camera.
07-11-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I use it (via 2 sec timer) every time I take a shot that needs, or is better off with a tripod.
Thank you for your answers John, and LostOne,

I know the fact mirror flap cause little shake ( even if it doesn't visible on pic later ) but I'm more wondering does anybody use mirror up, in ordinary 1/60 ( or whatever ) shots.

I mostly shot in liveview mode, because I'm tired of getting eye on camera all the time, and I can do better framing when I see picture from distance.

Is this thing "mirror up" useful in all time live view shots. I tried it, but I always wonder this

07-11-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
JohnX comment is great.
I use mirror up when "any movement" needs to be gone, night time, macro still life or life not moving, long exposure water pics, etc. anytime mirror flap vibrations might show up in the exposure.
07-11-2016, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Is this thing "mirror up" useful in all time live view shots. I tried it, but I always wonder this
By definition, the mirror is up in LV...
07-11-2016, 06:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 sec timer is the most frequent way I use mirror-up. That's when taking controlled lighting images of products or models. Let the exposure take as long as required. Typically I'm using LV in those settings.

As mentioned timer shots on tripods as well. It's a very useful feature.

07-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
By definition, the mirror is up in LV...

hahhaha, What a brilliant answer here, - AND YOU KNOW - DIDN'T EVEN KNOW !

Thank you !

edit

So,

all that "MENU THING" - about Mirror Up, is on green Live view button.

and I was thinking how complicated it is lol

Last edited by panonski; 07-11-2016 at 06:34 AM.
07-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I usually use 2 second delay for stationary objects when I can set the camera on a sturdy surface or tripod. Usually in this mode I'm not looking through the viewfinder to see what happens, so I actually had to try my camera to remind myself that the 2 sec. delay mode is actually a preset 2 sec M.UP delay before the shutter fires. (I used to think it was a 2 sec. delay before a standard mirror flap / shutter cycle.)

Also, even though Live View is always M.UP you're still better off using 2 second delay if you're really trying to get the sharpest image possible without any vibrations. Otherwise the shutter will close then reopen in quick succession right before the exposure, which could increase the risk of vibration. (In 2 sec. delay the shutter only has to open for the exposure since it closes before the 2 sec. delay).
07-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How about Continuos Shotting ?

When I shot in LV - CONTINUOS mode I notice Mirror is Up and Down all the time, in every single shoot... I mean I don't know it for sure, but sounds from camera tell me mirror is flaping...

Is there any need for this, since it is in Live View mode ?

And maybe this leads us to the question I'm interested most... When you set mirror up, from menu, can you shoot continously ?

I haven't my camera right here to check it out
07-13-2016, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

When I shot in LV - CONTINUOS mode I notice Mirror is Up and Down all the time, in every single shoot... I mean I don't know it for sure, but sounds from camera tell me mirror is flaping... Is there any need for this, since it is in Live View mode ?
That's what I thought at first, but it's actually the shutter you hear and the mirror doesn't move.
If you look through the viewfinder while shooting in LV you'll notice don't see any light while it's clicking away. If you're more adventurous, you can take off the lens and actually watch what happens. (Easier to see with a slow shutter speed of 1/8 or so.)

When you set mirror up, from menu, can you shoot continously ?
Nope, they're in the same menu so you choose either continuous or M.UP, but you can't select both at the same time.
In M.UP you press the shutter (or wireless trigger) once to meter the scene's exposure and lift the mirror, then you have to press again to engage the shutter and actually take the shot. The mirror goes back down after exposure, so it's two presses for each shot.
07-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theoneandonlyjh Quote
that's what i thought at first, but it's actually the shutter you hear and the mirror doesn't move.
If you look through the viewfinder while shooting in lv you'll notice don't see any light while it's clicking away. If you're more adventurous, you can take off the lens and actually watch what happens. (easier to see with a slow shutter speed of 1/8 or so.)

nope, they're in the same menu so you choose either continuous or m.up, but you can't select both at the same time.
In m.up you press the shutter (or wireless trigger) once to meter the scene's exposure and lift the mirror, then you have to press again to engage the shutter and actually take the shot. The mirror goes back down after exposure, so it's two presses for each shot.

thank you for your precision answer