Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Another my maybe-right understanding of APS-C camera vs Full Frame

Hello! I just got a K-3 ii from Amazon with 16-85, and wanted to clarify something of my own understanding before I jump into K-1 too early not even fully using the camera. In my understanding, APS-C is fully capable for wide angle or ultra wide angle as long as the lens I use are capable of providing me the "wide-enough" angle, lets say 12 mm from FF, because the 8mm lens on my APS-C will give me the image just as wide as 12 mm angle with Full Frame body. Do you agree? Pixel-wise, the 24M pixel in 8 mm angle and 36.4M pixel in 12mm are pretty much the same, so as far as I need 12mm FF as my desired angle, there's no need to upgrade to Full Frame for higher pixel density as well? I'm not 100% certain because I literally just started to have some interest in photography. Is there any misunderstanding or additional aspect that I'm missing when comparing FF vs APS-C? Thanks a lot !!

Last edited by talkskiwon; 07-13-2016 at 06:48 PM.
07-13-2016, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
Pixel-wise, the 24M pixel in 8 mm angle and 36.4M pixel in 12mm are pretty much the same, so as far as I need 12mm FF as my desired angle, there's no need to upgrade to Full Frame?
This is incorrect. You would need 36 MP with the 8mm on an APS-C camera to get the same resolution as the 36 MP FF camera with a 12mm lens.

You are right about the field of view equivalence, however.

QuoteOriginally posted by talkskiwon Quote
Full Frame?
FF is inherently better for wide-angle shooting because lenses with the same field of view are generally simpler to make, and will thus have less distortion / more resolution. Plus, you get a larger sensor with either a higher resolution, or lower noise.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
[quote/]
This is incorrect. You would need 36 MP with the 8mm on an APS-C camera to get the same resolution as the 36 MP FF camera with a 12mm lens.

[/quote]

Oops, you are right. I made a wrong assumption there. Great advise. Thanks!!