Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k3 and older dyanlite system

Greetings, I have come into an older dynalite m1000 system and am uncertain how to go about setting up the system with my camera...it does not have options for wireless/radio etc but does have an outlet for the cable connecting to the camera. Is there is a way I can do wireless, and if not what type of cable should I use? It will be connecting to a k3 or k5? I have a note in to dyanalite, but feel that getting Pentax-specific information is a good idea.

thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SGH-M919  Photo 
07-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not familiar with that system but if it has a cable in jack you should be able to use wireless by using a cable from the receiver to the Dyanlite jack. Many wireless controllers have cable out ports. I use a Cactus v5 and run a cable from one transceiver in receive mode to my studio monolight input jack.

What cable you need will depend on both the wireless system you use and the jack available on the Dyanlight system. However, wireless, in most cases, is a simple 'fire' signal so as long as the mechanical jacks are compatible it should work.

The other consideration is the trigger voltage on the Dyanlight system. Most wireless systems are fairly tolerant but you should check that before making any wired connection.
07-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
looks like the sync voltage is 10, can't find in the manual the limit of the k5 or 3 in terms of acceptable voltage, but from my research it seems like 10 is a safe number..so I should be able to go directly from camera x-sync socket
to the power box?
07-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think 12 to 24 is usually listed as ok so 10v should be fine.

You can use a pc sync cable from the camera or from a wireless receiver.

07-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Cactus v6 radio trigger acts as a 'safe-sync' as well as being a trigger, so if you have concerns about the trigger voltage of your lighting gear (and your setup does look rather scary), the Cactus might be doubly useful to you. The Cactus v6 has a hot-shoe and also a X sync cable connector.

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 | CACTUS

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 DICFLAWFTV6 B&H Photo Video
07-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for the recommendation...setup looks a little scary to me also, but I just figured it was because I wasn't used to looking at that sort of equipment