Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #16

Original Poster
Let us know what Ricoh replies. I agree, to spend that amount of money on a camera and to have so many issues is a horrible reflection on the company. I never had any issues with my K-5 and I still use it on occasion. I still get the overexposure stuff but nothing like you have. When you're on a trip or shooting something else important you depend on your camera to work. We can't always carry back up cameras with us because we can't trust the one we're using not to fail us. I'm hoping that Ricoh takes these complaints seriously so when they bring out their next crop sensor camera it will be a good one that we can depend on.

11-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by master49 Quote
I wonder if the metering issues are a forewarning of a more serious problem. The metering on my camera has now failed completely-ISO, Aperture and shutter speed flashing (stuck on 30 seconds) and exposure compensation resetting to -5!
Now the camera only operates in Bulb mode-all other modes are useless and c/w, matrix and spot metering won't work.
Had previous issues with mirror slapping and some really overexposed shots which were not my fault but some terrible metering inaccuracy-one shot fine and then two others or more sometimes overexposed by 2 stops+ (and no exposure compensation set). Very disappointing for a camera only purchased in February.
I don't believe the OP's issue is similar to what you describe. A new thread may have been appropriate. It appears from your comment that although you have owned the camera for almost a year and had significant issues, you have have chosen to not consider dealer remedy or warranty service until now. From your list of symptoms, my suspicion is either a main board failure or water incursion. I don't see how a firmware update would be expected to solve such severe issues. I am assuming that Wrxham is somewhere in Britain. As such, you have significant remedy under the law beyond the manufacturer's warranty (under which you are still covered), assuming of course that you purchased your camera new from an authorized dealer.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-19-2016 at 12:58 PM.
11-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I still get the overexposure stuff but nothing like you have.
I forget, did you contact Ricoh/Pentax for warranty service on your issue from last summer? Your camera would have only been a few weeks out of warranty at the time and Ricoh/Pentax USA is very good about extending coverage for a month of two beyond the 12 months.

Steve
11-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #19

Original Poster
No I did not because I thought it was out of warranty and it doesn't happen all the time. Camera working fine and then bam I get a bad one (or several in a row). See attached picture.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
11-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
No I did not because I thought it was out of warranty and it doesn't happen all the time. Camera working fine and then bam I get a bad one (or several in a row). See attached picture.
This is weird Jool. You have a k-5 and I'm sure you know what you're doing. I seem to find my k-3II to be a little overexposed than my k-5II. I had it since September last year. So I'm just a little over a year. What's your shutter count?

Last edited by totsmuyco; 11-21-2016 at 04:53 AM. Reason: added to the message
11-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #21

Original Poster
I'm not sure what the shutter count was when I took the picture, it was taken last year. I've had it happen since then, I just posted that one as an example. It is not just a little overexposed, it is totally blown out. As I mentioned before I never had this issue with my K-5.
11-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm not an expert but maybe the EXIF can give you some details. Like I said, this is kinda weird behavior.

11-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Earlier this year my K3 suddenly started having all sorts of exposure issues. I tried playing with settings, pulled the battery etc and nothing would work. So I used the nuclear option and reset the camera to it's default setting. Been fine ever since. I chalked it off to just one of those things that happens to a complex electrical device once in awhile.
11-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

My memory is not great, but I had the same problem. After a total reset, I turned off the exposure setting linking to the auto focus.

hope you find your problems

randy
12-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #25

Original Poster
I also did a reset on my camera after having problems the first time. I've had it happen since then.

Randy - what setting are you talking about (turning off the exposure setting linking to auto focus)? Where is that in the menus?
12-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

It is either C1 4 or C1 5 can't remember which one helped. Try unlinking both
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
BlackBerry Passport  Photo 
12-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #27

Disappointment after recent upgrade from K5 to K3

Having owned Pentax DSRLs from early 2005 ranging from *istDS, K10 to K5 an upgrade to the K3 seemed a logical/obvious choice although I was temped to opt for a mirrorless Sony a6000 which used to same sized APS C sensor.

I tried the K3 before making a purchase & thought that the results were quite similar in quality to the K5.

Keen to try out the K3, the day was pretty drab & dull & I thought that the preview shots looks a tad overexposed but though this was probably due to the brightness of the LCD screen. But this was not the case. I was shooting in TAV Mode with a shutter speed of 1/160 & aperture of f16, so ISO came out a tad high between 1000 & 6400 which has never been a problem with the K5.

Disappointing, but luckily as I shoot in RAW, I was able to address the overexposure in LightRoom. I spoke with Ricoh technical support who suggested that I see how things went with GREEN Mode.

I took a sequence of shoots to compare GREEN Mode with all other modes which were pretty identical in exposure.

The attached image shows the unprocessed & processed results between GREEN Mode & TAV Mode with Ev -0.3 to be much the same.

There are occasions when the exposure is spot on but there are still an alarmingly high number of instances of over-exposure. I should point out that settings are pretty much default & TAV Mode metering set to multi-segment.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-07-2020, 03:03 AM   #28

Hi,
I was wonder if you solve this issue, I bought a used K3 II (maybe to you jejeje) with the same problem, and it's being a bit annoying, in order to used correctly the semi-automatic modes it is necessary to set really low the exposure compensation, which is not always the same, sometimes with -1.3 it's enough, but in other times I need -2.7..... And in manual mode, with the central measurement, it is the same problem, I can not trust the measurement of the light. I was thinking that maybe is related to the not existing flash, maybe the camera thinks that I have a flash connected and try to compensate the extra light.... not sure if the manual mode could be affected for that too.....
Regards,
04-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by JEstebanFC Quote
Hi,
I was wonder if you solve this issue, I bought a used K3 II (maybe to you jejeje) with the same problem, and it's being a bit annoying, in order to used correctly the semi-automatic modes it is necessary to set really low the exposure compensation, which is not always the same, sometimes with -1.3 it's enough, but in other times I need -2.7..... And in manual mode, with the central measurement, it is the same problem, I can not trust the measurement of the light. I was thinking that maybe is related to the not existing flash, maybe the camera thinks that I have a flash connected and try to compensate the extra light.... not sure if the manual mode could be affected for that too.....
Regards,
I have a K3II, and K1MII, some things that come to mind are. First is your AE Metering set to Multi Segment, Center Weighted, or Spot? Depending on the scene this setting can significantly alter the exposure. Have you checked the Auto ISO setting to see if there's been a specified EV setting applied, or your ISO range is set to minimum? Is your Highlight Alert set to on? Finally have you tried shooting in manual?
04-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I have a K3ii and do not have a problem with exposure, I have seen pictures like the one in the post, but only when I've forgotten to change from auto iso, I usually stick to 100 iso.