Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2016, 04:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-3 II pixelshift resolution tests.

Just before my vacation I bought K-3 II as a replacement for my K-3, that died some months ago. On one of the days I took my camera and a tripod to the mountains, to test the pixelshift resolution in the field, so to say. I used two lenses Sigma Art 18-35 F1.8 and Pentax DA* 60-250 F4. Images were processed in SilkyPix DS Pro 7.

PS images without matching regular files.

Matching pairs.

Sigma.

PS.
Regular.

PS
Regular.

PS
Regular

PS
Regular

PS
Regular

Pentax

PS
Regular

PS
Regular

PS
Regular

Click on the preview images to see them on Flickr and download in their original size. Alternatively here is a link to a folder on Google Drive where these images are uploaded. It might be easier for some to download from Google drive as opposed to Flickr. Download the files to your computer and compare them side by side. FastStone Image Viewer is perfectly suitable for this.

07-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

Wow - PS really did well to catch that car which regular missed altogether

but seriously though - I think these shots might have piqued my interest to invest in a K3 II

nice photo shoot to help see the difference - probably my aging eyes but PS really helps bring out the tones of green nicely.

Love to see more side by side comparisons like these with a wide range of piccies

cheers
07-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The camera was set to self-timer (12 seconds) and right in the middle of those seconds a car came and stopped. At first I thought that it would screw up the shot, but as it remained stationary I carried on. In my opinion certain vivid colours do look better with pixelshift. Later on I will post photos of a painting that was shot using this method. There the difference is more apparent.
07-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice comparisons. I took a couple of side-by-side pixel-shift and non-PS side by side just yesterday, at the ruins of Basing House in Hampshire (that's Old Hampshire!) which was sacked during the First English Civil War in 1645. PS shot on a tripod, two-second delay. Unfortunately I don't Flickr, and reducing the size of the photos to upload them here destroys the PS-ness, so that sharpness-wise you can't tell one from the other unfortunately. The grass really is that colour in the PS shot because of the incessant rain we've had this year.

You might be interested to know the the first one was taken at 20mm with the 20-40 Ltd (the PS photo) and although the second looks wider, it was the same lens (the non-PS shot). I took two overlapping portrait-orientation shots and stitched them together using Microsoft ICE, which gives a field of view roughly equivalent to ~15mm.

07-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
Forum Member

Another great example - I'll say it again PS really seems to pull the life out of greeneryin these landscape shoots.
Until now the only impressions I had were a bit wishy-washy and that it seemed to give reviewers the opportunity to show poor images that really don't highlight what it can do to just bash pentax.

I really like these images though - have to speak with the boss about moving my plans up to invest in a K3 II. I also like the GPS and astro features. Don't want to mention the dreaded missing light bulb on top else the whole thread will be hijacked by people arguing about should it or shouldn't it (that has been done to death!)

Maybe Pentax will release a new version and the price will drop a little bit. Should have snapped up one of those ones on Amazon for $729 (kicking myself now).

Keep up the impressive images - really nice stuff to see.

cheers
07-28-2016, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The GPS is a great feature; I love how you can drop the .kml file into Google Earth and see where you went. I GPS logged our recent walking holiday in Switzerland and it brings back great memories.

---------- Post added 07-28-16 at 10:06 AM ----------

Here's a PS/non-PS shot pair from the Swiss trip; looking out over the Eiger (on the right) from our hotel in Grindelwald. The first shot is the non-PS one, then 2 and 3 are with PS. Just to show what a difference DCU5 makes with motion correction in PS, 2 is with MC on, and 3 with it turned off - look at the flags at bottom left.

Last edited by microlight; 07-28-2016 at 10:07 AM.
07-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

Oh Gosh - now I'm going to have to get a K3II and plan a trip back to Europe. Living in California I'd almost forgotten what grass looked like.

But that MC is a nice impressive example. Again I thought people just loved to point out that a shortcoming of PS was the problem of having a perfectly static shot. Apparently not so. This is turning out to be a very enlightening thread (for me at least). Of course I understand that only a certain degree of motion can be corrected for but that seems like a good example.

Thanks guys - appreciate it

cheers

07-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Pixel Shift image.

Astrotracer image.

Both taken using the samyang 10mm f/2.8

I quite like the K-3II. A bit more grain at higher ISO than my K-50, but pixshift and astrotracer more than make up for it.
07-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

Ok - now I know that you guys are in a conspiracy to get me to buy one

That is a couple of beautiful night shots Auzzie. Does the first one have any kind of filter on it ?
07-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Here's a PS/non-PS shot pair from the Swiss trip; looking out over the Eiger (on the right) from our hotel in Grindelwald. The first shot is the non-PS one, then 2 and 3 are with PS. Just to show what a difference DCU5 makes with motion correction in PS, 2 is with MC on, and 3 with it turned off - look at the flags at bottom left.
A bit hard to make good direct comparisons with these as they have different exposure settings and the PS images do appear a tad darker.

Cheers,
Terry
07-29-2016, 12:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, of course there are differences, including the tripod, but these photos were not originally intended to be directly comparable. So take them as illustrative rather than quantitative, Terry. Do you have any to show us?
07-29-2016, 02:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Yes, of course there are differences, including the tripod, but these photos were not originally intended to be directly comparable. So take them as illustrative rather than quantitative, Terry. Do you have any to show us?
Sorry, I probably wouldn't have made that mistake if you had pointed out that they were not to be directly compared.
Given the title of the thread, and you presenting them as a PS/non PS pair, I jumped to the conclusion they were for direct comparison.

Cheers,
Terry
07-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax DA* 60-250 F4. For these shots I also used sensor shift, to have the pictures as parallel to the sensor plane as possible. Click on the preview images to download them from Flickr in full size.

PS
Regular

PS
Regular
07-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by freddyisaac Quote
Ok - now I know that you guys are in a conspiracy to get me to buy one

That is a couple of beautiful night shots Auzzie. Does the first one have any kind of filter on it ?
The samyang 10mm f/2.8 can't use filters. All of my shots are single exposure, no-filter, direct from camera jpeg images. I tend to use the W. Fluorescent white balance setting for nicer colors and to cut down a bit on the orange hue from ambient light pollution. Camera color setting is set to vibrant, and has not been modified at all from the factory setting. The first image was pixel shift, and had to be done with a shorter shutter or else movement of the moon would have been an issue, which is possible because the moon was nearly full.

The second image uses a neewer electronic remote, with a shutter time of 150s in bulb mode with astrotracer turned on.
07-29-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
Pentax DA* 60-250 F4. For these shots I also used sensor shift, to have the pictures as parallel to the sensor plane as possible. Click on the preview images to download them from Flickr in full size.

PS
Regular

PS
Regular
Very nicely done and it's a clear difference!