Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 04:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
HDR in the K3.

Can anyone explain the different HDR modes in the K3? They are auto, 1,2 and 3. Nothing is mentioned in the manual on page 57. Thanks.

08-03-2016, 05:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In RAW they are all the same. In the JPEG version, HDR1 will have the mildest effect, while HDR3 will have the strongest. Auto usually goes for level 2.

You can configure the EV spread independently of this setting, and in practice this will likely be your primary means of controlling the HDR strength.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Adam, I was really wondering about that. Normally I use HDR in Lightroom or Photomatix Pro with 3 exposures.
08-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Thanks Adam, I was really wondering about that. Normally I use HDR in Lightroom or Photomatix Pro with 3 exposures.
And that's probably the best way to do it, since the K-3's stacked HDR raw files can be hard to work with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Just asking myself the same question. That's what makes this forum so invaluable! Many Thanks to all who share their expertise.
09-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer...

I've been using Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 with pleasing results from a single image, rather than relying on the K-3 to put it all together in-camera...
10-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #7

I have a couple of great hdr shots I took yesterday and when I import them into Lightroom, all the other pictures I took are there but not the HDR shots. Any ideas?