Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
When you reach the summit you should sit back and enjoy the view but you can still feel a little sad that there is nothing left to climb.

"Alexander wept for there were no more world to conquer".
Very eloquently put, Nick I agree

08-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I really don't think Pentax would go to the time and expense of releasing a firmware update unless they felt there was some benefit.
My question arises simply from the same boilerplate language accompanying every firmware update. This one obviously adds the new mount function, but I do seriously question whether it actually addresses anything else.

Addendum: I am reminded of the Microsoft update described as adding features to my operating system, but only served to check for compatibility with future operating systems.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 08-04-2016 at 12:31 PM.
08-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yay!, just did mine, dead simple. I read somewhere (dammed if I can find it now) that the K3ii will support continuous auto focus in video mode using the DA 18-135 WR, and it does with the update.

Edit: That is while zooming in and out the lens is refocusing (it's not par-focal).

Last edited by Kevin B123; 08-04-2016 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Tested for the behavour
08-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sometimes programs can acquire or retain lines of code which no longer have a function and that need to be removed.
Sometimes code can be ineloquently or messily written and needs to be tided up and the "bloat" removed to reduce the size of the compiled program and increase it's speed of operation
Sometimes a better way of coding a function is discovered or code needs be inserted/changed in anticipation of a planned future upgrade.

All this adds up to: 'improvements to performance and stability"

So lots can go on in a firmware update which the user of the final compiled program may not be interested in or able to understand on a technical level.

I used to work with analysts and programmers and I was always in awe at their ability to do their job because I found/find programming to be almost mind-destroying in its need for attention to detail and relentless perfectionism, I could weep at the sight of those dreaded words "syntax error".

08-04-2016, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
but I do seriously question whether it actually addresses anything else.
You could very well be right. "Stability improvements" boiler plate covers them for just about anything.

There are two ways to look at firmware updates. One way is to continuously update 'modules' that are shared across several models and that chunk of code be consistent and updated across all models that include it if there is a firmware update. This means continuous (though likely very minor) improvements. However, the down side is that this code then has to be tested across all models.

The other way is to lock the firmware code when the model is released and only update it for bug fixes or new features (such as support for a new lens). This means far less testing is involved but also means that some minor improvements to things never make it into the firmware of older cameras even though the code might be identical to that module that is used in a newer camera that is updated.

At any rate, those who know are not talking and those that are talking don't know.
08-04-2016, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I spent 10 years in software development and 20 years consuming software, and to document for the end user any bugs you are fixing and improvements you are making is pretty standard practice, but clearly there are some people (and companies) for whom this is not expected.

I think I agree with others that if there were any significant improvement to performance it would have been marketed and so, as I haven't noticed any bugs (and wouldn't be told if it had been fixed), I'll skip it.
08-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Searching through the posts I haven't found many posts complaining about problems caused by an update. In fact I haven't found any. The doesn't mean there aren't any. I seem to vaguely recall one incident.

I'd say you have a greater chance of "bricking" your camera than breaking something through an update. And if you "brick" the camera during update odds are more likely than not it is something you did - not fully charging the battery, futzing with the power or other switches, removing the memory card and so on.
08-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Yay!, just did mine, dead simple. I read somewhere (dammed if I can find it now) that the K3ii will support continuous auto focus in video mode using the DA 18-135 WR, and it does with the update.
Only the K-70 has continuous video AF, but with the K-3 II firmware update you do get support for KAF4 lenses (without the update, the aperture can't be controlled).

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Searching through the posts I haven't found many posts complaining about problems caused by an update. In fact I haven't found any. The doesn't mean there aren't any. I seem to vaguely recall one incident.
There was the K-3 v1.20 issue, which was addressed several weeks later through v1.21. But apart from that, you're mostly right. When people say things like "my AF feels slower/faster after the update", that's their imagination speaking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
This one obviously adds the new mount function, but I do seriously question whether it actually addresses anything else.
It certainly doesn't address anything else of significance. When they say "improved stability for general performance", it just means that minor bugs may or may not have been addressed (examples would include an icon that's misaligned, a typo, unclear menu description, or just about any other software quirk that could cause unintended behavior without affecting the performance of the camera). Publishing an exhaustive list of minor fixes wouldn't really be of any benefit to the consumer. Imagine if I posted an announcement every time a forum file was edited

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes Adam, but when whatever software you use to run the forum is patched don't you get a list of what was changed or fixed?
08-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't know what, if anything, has been fixed - but have been playing with my K-3II a little since upgrading it a few hours ago, and it certainly seems fine thus far...
If you update via a usb cable from a computer to the camera, does it still require a 32 mb card.... I have lots of cards but they're all 16 mb
08-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kirk Quote
If you update via a usb cable from a computer to the camera, does it still require a 32 mb card.... I have lots of cards but they're all 16 mb
Kirk, I believe you must copy the file to your SDHC or SDXC card to do the update. They only mention a USB cable as a means of copying the file from your computer to the card while it is in-camera. I have an SDXC card writer in my laptop, so I use that instead.

Are you sure that your cards aren't 16GB rather than 16MB? If so, you'll be fine with those.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-05-2016 at 11:24 AM.
08-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Are you confusing MB with GB?

A 16MB card would hold just one RAW image from my K-01.

I think your cards are probably 16GBs.

N
08-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Kirk, I believe you must copy the file to your SDHC or SDXC card to do the update. They only mention a USB cable as a means of copying the file from your computer to the card while it is in-camera. I have an SDXC card writer in my laptop, so I use that instead.

Are you sure that your cards aren't 16GB rather than 16MB? If so, you'll be fine with those.
LOL - It's not the first time I've confused my G's with my M's...

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
Are you confusing MB with GB?

A 16MB card would hold just one RAW image from my K-01.

I think your cards are probably 16GBs.

N
My G's and M's always seem to give me trouble... Hahaha... There probably is no such thing as a 16mb card...
08-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

There probably is no such thing as a 16mb card...
I still have a couple of 16MB SmartMedia cards, along with my first "proper" digital camera, an Olympus C-120
08-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #30
Site Supporter

LOL - It's not the first time I've confused my G's with my M's...

---------- Post added 08-05-16 at 12:56 PM ----------

My G's and M's always seem to give me trouble... Hahaha... There probably is no such thing as a 16mb card...
Mixing Ms and Gs is very easy to do, I get caught out fairly often. I think the salary departments of certain banks have the same problem when they mix up thousands with millions.

A 16MB SD card would have looked like science fiction when I started using PCs, my work computer back then had a seriously expensive 4MB "Winchester" drive and that was pretty wonderous.

Because my main PC runs in Linux, I download the "MAC" version of the firmware (which is basically the firmware in a zip file), I unzip this on to a newly camera formatted SD card via a USB SD card reader, then the card goes back into the camera and I use firmware upgrade option from the camera menu.

N