Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I updated my camera after I finally realized, with some help from the folks here, that my cards are 16gb... LOL .... it took all of about 15 seconds.... and the smoke is still in my camera...Hurray !!! I've been told you're in trouble when the smoke escapes from your camera (or your pc or any digital equipment... keeping the smoke inside is critical)... LOL

08-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kirk Quote
... and the smoke is still in my camera...Hurray !!! I've been told you're in trouble when the smoke escapes from your camera
Yeah, the smoke is how we get those dreamy looking portrait shots
08-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Smoke? There's no smoke without ............... Does your camera feel at all warm to the touch? If it does I suggest you plunge it into a bucket of hot salty water and buy a K1 immediately.
08-05-2016, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Having been a software developer for 35+ years, a beta tester for Microsoft for 10 years and 25 years as a beta tester for the database platform I code on I can tell you the "fix/updates list" that the end-user sees is just the tip of the iceberg. The majority of changes as Adam says is trivia - significant in its right but only of interest to the developers.

Would you even care if labels or a subroutine were renamed to improve readability and maintenance of the code but such changes are totally hidden from the end user?

08-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Having been a software developer for 35+ years, a beta tester for Microsoft for 10 years and 25 years as a beta tester for the database platform I code on I can tell you the "fix/updates list" that the end-user sees is just the tip of the iceberg. The majority of changes as Adam says is trivia - significant in its right but only of interest to the developers.

Would you even care if labels or a subroutine were renamed to improve readability and maintenance of the code but such changes are totally hidden from the end user?
I completely agree with this, to normal humans like me I suspect the minutiae of the programming behind a firmware upgrade is at best uninteresting and at worst totally unintelligible, I was trained (mostly against my will) to code in COBOL and PASCAL and just the thought of it makes my eyes glaze over and brings on a longing for sunshine and fresh air. A synopsis of a firmware change usually good enough for me, I leave the syntax to the gods of code.
08-05-2016, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Minutiae are indeed boring. But 'improvements to performance and stability' are not minutiea...and, much as I have great respect for most programmers and engineers, I don't always trust their idea of what changes are actually an improvement. After many years of suffering 'improvements' from the excellent engineers at Microsoft, Google, Apple, Adobe and so on, I'd rather make my own mind up on whether I want them or not rather than just blindly applying them. Hence why I always switch off automatic updates and check the change logs before applying them.

However, from what people say there is no noticeable change to performance or stability and I don't require the new feature so, as I see it, there is no point for me in applying this one.
08-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
However, from what people say there is no noticeable change to performance or stability and I don't require the new feature so, as I see it, there is no point for me in applying this one
If the camera turned on .08 sec faster OR on average you got 10 more exposures per charge OR those rare lock-ups are even rarer OR jpegs are slightly better when you blow them up to 30 x 40 OR ....

None of this would be 'noticeable' to the average user but never the less they are improvements in efficiency and stability.

The real test is to wait a bit and see if there are any noticeable 'complaints' about the new firmware.
08-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Minutiae are indeed boring. But 'improvements to performance and stability' are not minutiea.
Umm, if you bought the first edition of a book and then bought the second edition and discovered the statement "minor revisions to the text" under the title would you expect a list of all the spelling, punctuation and grammatical corrections that had taken place to be listed? The second edition had undergone the equivalent of 'improvements to performance and stability' because the text now made slightly more sense.

Here we have an example of the sort of code found in firmware (I think) before it is compiled, personally I would not want to know in any detail when the manufacturer corrected some minor syntax errors but those corrections (minutiae) could/would be described as 'improvements to performance and stability'.

Attached Images

08-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is not what I'm expecting. Maybe you've never seen the release notes accompanying most software updates, they contain things like the imaginary ones below:

- Fixed bug where 128GB card of brand X reported full erroneously at 64GB when using PEF
- Fixed crash when entering x menu and pressing y and z buttons together
- Improved speed of BW conversion in RAW processing menu
- Fixed compatibility issue with Metz flash
- Changed cross processing method

That way, if you experience any of the issues mentioned, then the software update will fix it and it is worth the time, effort and risk of applying it. If not, you can await the next update or just carry on regardless. If you particularly like the way cross processing works now, you know to avoid the change.
08-06-2016, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter

I know one fix in the firmware update.

With the original firmware, shooting in manual mode while using the buffer heavily (i.e. you were shooting faster than it could write to the card), and attempting to change the aperture (or shutter speed?) using the rear dial while an instant review image was showing on the screen resulted in none of the expected behavior. It did not adjust the aperture, nor did it zoom the instant review image, but instead it totally locked up any ability to adjust the shutter speed or aperture until the buffer had completed writing all the images. This is now fixed, based on my testing.
08-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote

With the original firmware, shooting in manual mode while using the buffer heavily (i.e. you were shooting faster than it could write to the card), and attempting to change the aperture (or shutter speed?) using the rear dial while an instant review image was showing on the screen resulted in none of the expected behavior. It did not adjust the aperture, nor did it zoom the instant review image, but instead it totally locked up any ability to adjust the shutter speed or aperture until the buffer had completed writing all the images. This is now fixed, based on my testing.
A fault like that would be a software QC tester's nightmare, I'm not sure I could physically replicate that bug with my arthritic fingers!
08-07-2016, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
A fault like that would be a software QC tester's nightmare, I'm not sure I could physically replicate that bug with my arthritic fingers!
It's easy to reproduce -- just put it in continuous shooting mode and hold down the button for a while and then turn the dial when something is on the screen. Then you either get a changed aperture or not. I discovered it while shooting a show -- it happened several times, and eventually I figured out what happened, though it took me a while to notice it since I wasn't necessarily looking at the screen for all the photos.
08-07-2016, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

It's easy to reproduce -- just put it in continuous shooting mode and hold down the button for a while and then turn the dial when something is on the screen. Then you either get a changed aperture or not. I discovered it while shooting a show -- it happened several times, and eventually I figured out what happened, though it took me a while to notice it since I wasn't necessarily looking at the screen for all the photos.
I'm impressed, I can't drive a car (safely) and listen to the radio at the same time!
08-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now we're getting somewhere! Nice bit of Guerilla Release Noting. thanks!
08-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #45

Has anyone noticed an issue with single shot speed? I've noticed a slow down in how quickly the camera can take shots with successive full presses of the shutter in single shot mode. I have it set to back button AF, so there should be no delay caused by AF when the shutter is pressed (and the AF button is not). I have have image preview disabled, have fast class 10 SD cards and am using a fast shutter speed. After firmware update I can't go faster than about 3 shots every 2 secs, by pressing the shutter repeatedly. It's as if the buffer is having to clear between shots. Switching the continuous shot mode, the camera is fine at around 8 fps, so it's rather odd..