Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #61

I just purchased a K-3 II yesterday and also had a hard time finding this firmware update. It's not listed on the Dutch version of the Ricoh Imaging site, nor on the European Hub. I could only find it on the US site.

I'm assuming the firmware itself is universal though? No regional quirks by flashing a firmware found on the US site?

09-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I believe the firmware is universal, but it's hard to say without any supporting release documentation whether there are any limitations. You may either apply it or not, you may not ask what or why.
09-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Intrance Quote
I just purchased a K-3 II yesterday and also had a hard time finding this firmware update. It's not listed on the Dutch version of the Ricoh Imaging site, nor on the European Hub. I could only find it on the US site.

I'm assuming the firmware itself is universal though? No regional quirks by flashing a firmware found on the US site?
Latest PENTAX K-3? Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
11-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joehud Quote
looking back over some reviews, I see the k3 II was measured at about 0.6 sec single shot cycle with RAW+Jpeg.. to me as I say it feels noticeably slower now after firmware update, although occasionally it will allow a quicker cycle. Before I was often able to do a double tap and get a very quick succession of 2 shots.

Pentax K-3 II Review - K-3 II Overview

weirdly, the k5 II was much better at single shot cycle time with RAW.

Pentax K-5 II Review - Performance

On the bright side, my 3rd party battery grip hasn't crashed the camera yet since firmware upgrade. fingers crossed!

Hi. Here is a video before the firmware update so you can compare. The image format is JPG Large (3 stars). I hope it helps.

11-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by LostOne Quote
Has anyone seen whether this fixes the bug where the battery drains faster if the camera is shut off while GPS is enabled? I've only had time to use the camera once since I upgraded the firmware, and forgot to leave GPS enabled when I shut it off. It'd be nice to get weeks of standby without shutting off GPS.

Edit:
Had time to run a test this week, and it looks like the standby time is still reduced if you leave GPS on when shutting off the camera. Went from full charge to almost dead in four days after the firmware update (same as before).
I actually tried to get the Pentax Service Partner to acknowledge the problem nearly 1.5 years ago. My first K3II with DA 16-85 was terribly decentered, so I was at the Service center more often than I'd like. I reported the exact problem you're describing they didn't find anything, TWICE... Now, since the centering problem could not be repaired, I got a new set and the battery is drained exactly as you describe. It's a weird problem to have... even more weird that it's so obvious and yet cannot be detected.