Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 01:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 331
What next after K-3ii ?

I appreciate there's been a similar thread to this, but it rather developed into a wish list of wants. I'd like to try and understand (=guess) what next ...

Personally, I'm not convinced the FF is for me so I'm trying to plan what next for APS-C. Ricoh publish a helpful roadmap for their lenses which help buyers think ahead. Knowing where the bodies are going would help too. (Guess it will never happen ...). This means, that I'm holding off buying stuff, as I don't know the direction the company is going to take, especially with their flagship APS-C cameras.

The K-70, on paper seems to be close to the K-3ii in many areas, but the more 'professional' aspects of the K-3 series, with dual slots etc, distinguish it as the senior camera. So the follow-up K-3 will need to push on and up. All assuming there will be one and Ricoh don't decide that there's only tweaks that can be done with the K-3ii - maybe a K-3iii with a few improvements.

There has been suggestions that a K-3 replacement will be announced towards the end of the year. (And available when ??). Has anyone any idea if this is true and what Ricoh are likely to do with their top-end APS-C ?

I know some folk* want* mirrorless, etc, that's fine, but I'm sure there will be folk like me who are uncertain about the FF benefits and want to know Ricoh's immediate K-3 replacement direction, or at least strong rumours. Then we can buy more APS-C gear, knowing what's to come.

Anyone got any info ... ?

Thanks

08-07-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
beachgardener's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,005
Bring on the K-4, I suppose we may get some hints from Pentax later this year, at a guess
08-07-2016, 01:36 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,604
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
There has been suggestions that a K-3 replacement will be announced towards the end of the year. (And available when ??). Has anyone any idea if this is true and what Ricoh are likely to do with their top-end APS-C ?
Nobody knows at the moment.

The K-3 is now almost 3 years old, and there have been advancements both in technology that Pentax has developed, and in the broader industry. The K-3 can thus see improvement in areas such as connectivity (i.e. the inclusion of NFC+wi-fi), usability (the new facelifted menu system, more customization), performance (AF, view live AF, and video), and potentially image quality- though there hasn't been that much progress in APS-C sensors lately. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

With new entries in the consumer and full-frame market segments, I'm sure that the enthusiast segment is the next to get some attention.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,432
Using the K-1 AF array to cover most of the APS-C frame would be a great start.
Add faster processing and burst rate, and a bigger buffer, and it would be a valid competitor to the D500.
WiFi and a swivel screen would be the icing on the cake.

08-07-2016, 01:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 873
If I were Ricoh I'd be looking at an APSC only K1. Quickest and simplest, but that would mean a bigger than necessary body, so maybe a scaled down K1 body?

Most comment (whinging) these days seems to be directed at AF speed, so an opportunity for Ricoh here to address this 'issue', although I wonder if lens af design is a contributing factor, nor just body? Simplistically I'd have thought that if the solution is straight forward Pentax engineers would have done it before now.

Bus speed is a real problem, so improvement here would need to implemented at the same time as AF.
08-07-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 331
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nobody knows at the moment.

The K-3 is now almost 3 years old, and there have been advancements both in technology that Pentax has developed, and in the broader industry. The K-3 can thus see improvement in areas such as connectivity (i.e. the inclusion of NFC+wi-fi), usability (the new facelifted menu system, more customization), performance (AF, view live AF, and video), and potentially image quality- though there hasn't been that much progress in APS-C sensors lately. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

With new entries in the consumer and full-frame market segments, I'm sure that the enthusiast segment is the next to get some attention.
Thanks Adam, your sensor comment is the key area for me. The other areas are fine on the K-3. As Pentax have tended to use established sensors and not state-of-the-art, then I've drawn the same conclusion, that the next model will likely be adding the type of extras you mention, rather than a step change in the sensor. I guess this is probably due to the sensor technology being at it's limit for cropped - at least for now ...
08-07-2016, 03:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,478
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
If I were Ricoh I'd be looking at an APSC only K1. Quickest and simplest, but that would mean a bigger than necessary body, so maybe a scaled down K1 body?

Most comment (whinging) these days seems to be directed at AF speed, so an opportunity for Ricoh here to address this 'issue', although I wonder if lens af design is a contributing factor, nor just body? Simplistically I'd have thought that if the solution is straight forward Pentax engineers would have done it before now.

Bus speed is a real problem, so improvement here would need to implemented at the same time as AF.
The trouble with this as I perceive the suggestion is that it would necessitate a backward step to 15MP, which I don't think would be acceptable to anyone, except perhaps users of K-5/30/50 series cameras who were in it for the enhanced SR and AF capabilities (the crop option would obviously vanish from the top dial). If you are talking about putting the K-3ii or KS-2 sensor (or an improved variant thereof) in instead, that's quite another matter, but then we get away from the concept of something involving minimal reworking.
08-07-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 873
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The trouble with this as I perceive the suggestion is that it would necessitate a backward step to 15MP, which I don't think would be acceptable to anyone, except perhaps users of K-5/30/50 series cameras who were in it for the enhanced SR and AF capabilities (the crop option would obviously vanish from the top dial). If you are talking about putting the K-3ii or KS-2 sensor (or an improved variant thereof) in instead, that's quite another matter, but then we get away from the concept of something involving minimal reworking.
I was thinking change the sensor. All the crop mode does is use less of the ff sensor area, so just put in a smaller sensor. QED.

(As you might gather, I'm no engineer and like to keep things simple to match my IQ).

08-07-2016, 04:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian
noelpolar's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Goolwa, SA
Posts: 3,064
I think Pentax know that they need to make a statement with the replacement of the K3/II to re-affirm that the APSC segment is important to them (subsequent to the release of the K-1)..... so I'd expect something quite solid.

Personally, I think the K-1 was all it needed to be for a 1st go (a carefully measured response.....just enough regarding frame rate, AFC etc to get by) ...... I wouldn't be surprised if the K3+ was a more significant step in key areas.

How do you get K3 owners to buy a K-1.... mostly a bigger sensor does that....... how do you get a K-1 owner to buy a K3+....... give the dynamic range back, better AFC, 10FPS, tility screen

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-07-2016 at 04:58 AM.
08-07-2016, 05:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 947
There are many ways Ricoh may take the K-3 line. Here are some of my thoughts on what Ricoh may choose to do. Pick your guesses.

- New sensor. Pixel count may increase for higher resolution or decrease for higher speed.
- PDAF on sensor
- Fast hybrid focusing (combining on and off sensor PDAF focusing) optimized for KAF4
- 4K video
- Video AF
- Vari-angle screen like its big brother
- Body lighting
- Return of video SR
- Both flash and GPS
- New body shape
- New control wheel (for consistency with K-1)
- Bumping the burst speed. Possibly introducing mirror lock up live view high speed mode.
- Better Wifi features
08-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member
fwbigd's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 310
When the Canon 7D Mark ii was introduce all the review mentioned the it was a step above the Pentax K-3. Now the Nikon has exceed the 7D Mark II with the D500 the next logical step for Ricoh is to produce a D500 killer.
08-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: traverse city MI
Posts: 336
They will almost certainly add a tilt screen of some sort, bring the pixel shift up to K1 standards and give faster burst rate 10ish and faster focusing DR should improve also. I don't know if I would expect higher pixel count and am not sure it's needed.
08-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #13
ehd
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
They will almost certainly add a tilt screen of some sort, bring the pixel shift up to K1 standards and give faster burst rate 10ish and faster focusing DR should improve also. I don't know if I would expect higher pixel count and am not sure it's needed.
Burst rate is fine for me on the K3-ii. I want better focus tracking. Better video would be nice.
08-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,432
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
I don't know if I would expect higher pixel count and am not sure it's needed.
Indeed. If the aim is to create a fast, nimble sports shooter (and that should be the goal in a high-end crop body IMHO), a higher resolution sensor would be counterproductive.
08-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: traverse city MI
Posts: 336
QuoteOriginally posted by ehd Quote
Burst rate is fine for me on the K3-ii. I want better focus tracking. Better video would be nice.
what this person said
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, direction, dslr, ff, k-3, k-3ii, k3, pentax k-3, replacement, ricoh
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3II firmware - anyone know what is fixed? victormeldrew Pentax K-3 64 11-27-2016 04:36 PM
Upgrade to K-3II and what next? stein Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 07-06-2016 12:31 PM
Pentax K-3II $698.95 After Rebate At Samy's reduno Pentax Price Watch 61 11-10-2015 06:37 PM
What's in the Box K-3ii vievetrick Ask B&H Photo! 6 11-03-2015 10:09 PM
After getting 2 bad copies, what next? shang Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 07-29-2010 01:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top