Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've got the WR version of that lens and its a great performer as a matter of fact its probably my favorite lens right now.

Larry
I did the single in july challenge with it last month, I heartily agree. It's way more than a macro lens.

08-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I had a k-5 original and it was a solid performer and it served well forover two years. But I never quite loved that camera though I desperately wanted to. The main reason being the autofocus system drove me nuts. Especially low light and tracking. Also the placement of the AF test button was bad for a left eye shower.

I now have the K-3II. And I can honestly say I love this camera. The low light AF outta completely fixed and the tracking is much improved. I love it even mote with the grip on it as it improved the ergonomics for the pinky. And the AF button is now in the proper place.
08-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I've got the WR version of that lens and its a great performer as a matter of fact its probably my favorite lens right now.

Larry
The DFA 100 Macro WR is definitely one of my favorites. Feels like a Limited and super sharp.
08-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The K3ii and 43mm Ltd lens are like peanut butter & jelly!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-11-2016, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I have had my K3 about 18 months now (switched from a fuji bridge to this my first DSLR) - and have absolutely loved the switch. The K3 has such great build quality and features, the images I am getting are just super (to my eye :-) ) and although I would love a K1 i'm not sure my level of skill would justify the extra cost...

I especially like using the K3 with a selection of older 'manual' smc-k and smc-m lenses that I have been purchasing, these old lenses really have something special about them. also my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 has been great for my motorsport photography.
08-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Must report a problem with WR issue

My K3 is on service table right now, because I was shooting 15 days ago, on (semi)strong wind right to the sea, and couple of waves was accidently splash me, and the camera too.

I was instantly dry splashed water drops on camera with towel, and continue to work, because I was knew the camera is WR and wave was not splash it to much . I've seen some videos with K3 demonstrate the WR performance, and I was completely ensure my camera is not in any danger by this minor splashes, specially if we count actual water drops fall on the camera directly from wave.

Camera was working fine, and two days later, on other shooting, I noticed my POP up flash doesn't work. Normally I was immediately know it was the water inside, specially when I see fog inside pop up.

------------------

Now it's on service repair, and guarantee maybe would not be consider here, because it's salt water.

------------------

LESSON - DON'T BELIEVE IN ANY "WR".

Just two little splashes , and good by

OTHERWISE - LOVE THE CAMERA, AND OUTPUT QUALITY
08-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
My K3 is on service table right now, because I was shooting 15 days ago, on (semi)strong wind right to the sea, and couple of waves was accidently splash me, and the camera too.

I was instantly dry splashed water drops on camera with towel, and continue to work, because I was knew the camera is WR and wave was not splash it to much . I've seen some videos with K3 demonstrate the WR performance, and I was completely ensure my camera is not in any danger by this minor splashes, specially if we count actual water drops fall on the camera directly from wave.

Camera was working fine, and two days later, on other shooting, I noticed my POP up flash doesn't work. Normally I was immediately know it was the water inside, specially when I see fog inside pop up.

------------------

Now it's on service repair, and guarantee maybe would not be consider here, because it's salt water.

------------------

LESSON - DON'T BELIEVE IN ANY "WR".

Just two little splashes , and good by

OTHERWISE - LOVE THE CAMERA, AND OUTPUT QUALITY
Just curious: what lens were you using?

08-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Just curious: what lens were you using?
You beat me to it...
08-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quartermaster james Quote
just curious: What lens were you using?
sigma 17-70 mm - and water did not came in through that part of camera. I instantly send it to the service center because I know how salt water is dangerous, and service man send me this pic here.

Just a week - and it's all green
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 

Last edited by panonski; 08-18-2016 at 09:28 AM.
08-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian

sigma 17-70 mm - and water did not came in through that part of camera. I instantly send it to the service center because I know how salt water is dangerous, and service man send me this pic here.

Looks like salt water did get to the camera electronics. I would not chance the WR with a non-WR lens and the Sigma is not WR. Good luck with the repair, I hope they get everything fixed for you.
08-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Circuit boards commonly are green - that's not unusual at all. Looking at that particular circuit board, there is a layer of green coating on top of the board tracks. However, I do see some oxidisation and corrosion on the ribbon connector ends...
08-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Circuit boards commonly are green - that's not unusual at all. Looking at that particular circuit board, there is a layer of green coating on top of the board tracks. However, I do see some oxidisation and corrosion on the ribbon connector ends...

Yes, I know for board, I was meant on oxidation on the flat cable
08-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I know for board, I was meant on oxidation on the flat cable
OK... well, honestly, it doesn't look too bad to me. Of course, it's difficult to know which components may have been damaged - but it doesn't look like a great deal of moisture got in there... In fact, it doesn't strike me as obvious water ingress... perhaps condensation?
08-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK... well, honestly, it doesn't look too bad to me. Of course, it's difficult to know which components may have been damaged - but it doesn't look like a great deal of moisture got in there... In fact, it doesn't strike me as obvious water ingress... perhaps condensation?
yes, it's probably condensation - because I put my camera in bag after that, and pick it up again after 48 hours
08-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, it's probably condensation - because I put my camera in bag after that, and pick it up again after 48 hours
Gotcha. Yes, that could be the issue.

WR or not, there's always air inside the camera, so depending on the humidity and temperature inside / outside of the body (and lenses - even AW lenses), condensation is a risk.

Good luck with the repair. Any idea when the camera will be on its way back to you?