Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 10:53 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Loving the K3 - solid performer!

I've been seeing a bunch of different post recently on people whose cameras have been glitching up. I thought I'd throw in a alternate data point. I've owned my K3 since the end of 2014, replacing it when my new Olympus EM10 went missing (ouch.) It's seen a ton of use since then, gone mountain biking, had it's WR tested, been exposed to dust, been my only digital camera since then. I love it, and it's seen a ton of use and is just going strong.

At times I think about upgrading, but to be honest the IQ is so good out of it, I have a hard time justifying it.

08-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed.
08-09-2016, 11:35 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I've been seeing a bunch of different post recently on people whose cameras have been glitching up. I thought I'd throw in a alternate data point.
Thanks for being a voice for us Pentax owners who have had zero problems with our cameras despite putting them to fairly rigorous use.

Steve
08-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for being a voice for us Pentax owners who have had zero problems with our cameras despite putting them to fairly rigorous use.
I can't claim zero problems... I've had the mirror flop issue on my K-3 just once, with approximately 12,000 trouble-free shutter actuations since and rising. No problems otherwise, and nothing but 100% satisfaction with the camera and the images it produces, even in my inept hands

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-09-2016 at 02:13 PM.
08-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I've been seeing a bunch of different post recently on people whose cameras have been glitching up. I thought I'd throw in a alternate data point. I've owned my K3 since the end of 2014, replacing it when my new Olympus EM10 went missing (ouch.) It's seen a ton of use since then, gone mountain biking, had it's WR tested, been exposed to dust, been my only digital camera since then. I love it, and it's seen a ton of use and is just going strong.

At times I think about upgrading, but to be honest the IQ is so good out of it, I have a hard time justifying it.

Welcome to the Club:-)
08-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Agree, I have a K3 and a K5 but love the K3 a lot more.

A great camera.
08-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
For me it's simple math. K10D + K-5 + K-3 = Zero problems. My son now has the K10D, still going strong.

---------- Post added 08-09-16 at 07:48 PM ----------

I have the same problem as you. My K-3 and even my backup K-5 work so well in tandem and feel so solid that they stop me from even considering upgrading. Oh yes, those are beautiful pictures! What lens did you use?
08-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Agree. First the K10D which my son is now using and now the K-3. No problems whatsoever, and particularly the K-3 has traveled almost around the world, through wind and rain, cold temps, and sandy beaches. I can't imagine another camera that would have given me more pleasure and excellent results.

08-09-2016, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
Camera are so good these days I'm starting to think that the only reason to upgrade is ... just for the sake of upgrading lol. I've had my K3 since the end of 2014 and even though I'd like a K1, I just can't convince myself to go out and get one. The K1 is a superb camera from what the reviews say, but in all honesty, do I really need it? Probably no ....
08-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I agree, the K-3 is a very special DSLR. I love mine and really can't think of a reason to replace it right now. When the K-3's cropped sensor replacement comes out in a year or so I might consider replacing it. It would have to be a significant improvement and that would be my only reason for replacing it other than a failure of some kind. My K-3 has been trouble free since the first day I turned it on. My only problem is I'm not up to the standards of my K-3 with my photography and after over a year and ten months using it I still haven't exceeded its capabilities. Great Camera and always will be.

Larry
08-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
For me it's simple math. K10D + K-5 + K-3 = Zero problems. My son now has the K10D, still going strong.
Maybe we have something in common here !! add to that my K7 with a "no problem" camera !
08-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote

---------- Post added 08-09-16 at 07:48 PM ----------

I have the same problem as you. My K-3 and even my backup K-5 work so well in tandem and feel so solid that they stop me from even considering upgrading. Oh yes, those are beautiful pictures! What lens did you use?
Great to hear it.

They were all taken with the 100mm DFA non-WR macro lens.
08-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

To to me the K3 has been a solid performer too. As great as it is, it is my second favorite camera. I got a K1 a few months ago and it really surprised me how good it is. Since going digital in March 2013 I have gotten a K5, a K5-IIs, a K3 and now the K1. Each camera has been better than the last one. The K3 is a big step up from the K5 lines and the K1 is another step up from the K3. I have not replaced my K3 with the K1, but use them in concert with each other. They complement each other. When you have a K3 there is no logical reason to use the K1 in crop mode. Right now my K5 and K5-IIs are back in their boxes while I decide what to do with them.
08-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

I've had zero problems with any of my Pentax DSLR's - *ist-DS (two), K20D (two), and K-3 (two).

Furthermore, and specifically regarding the K-3, I continue to be impressed with how well the K-3 performs...
08-10-2016, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter

Great to hear it.

They were all taken with the 100mm DFA non-WR macro lens.
I've got the WR version of that lens and its a great performer as a matter of fact its probably my favorite lens right now.

Larry