Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is a photo I took of my grandson in May while we were at my granddaughter's indoor soccer game. ISO 6400. Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and my K3. A little noise reduction applied. Forgive the arm movement. I call the little guy "The Blur" as he is a perpetual motion machine. The only way to solve the blur problem is to use an industrial grade strobe light at 1/1,000,000 second flash duration.

My K3 has been almost flawless. In Yellowstone this past June, for some reason, the shots started exhibiting weird colors. A reset to default solved the problem. First and only problem I have ever had in over on year of ownership. It is a great camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
One thing that I have read was about ISO noise. I do know at higher settings about any camera can have this problem.
I personally think that the K-3/K-3II is good up to ISO 12800 & even ISO 25600 is usable in a pinch. Mind you that you will have to post process the higher ISO RAW files in if you want to get the best results out of it and/or you plan on doing a larger print 'cause the high ISO out of camera jpegs are going to leave much to be desired. The out of camera jpegs from ISO 1600 & beyond are not that great.
08-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

In one Russian review the K-3 II was called “a tank in the world of DSLR”. Well, I’ve just ordered this tank)
08-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found that the K-3II needed a slight change of technique from the K-5; the 24MP sensor needing higher shutter speeds to get pin-sharpness.

I have no experience of Lightroom, but processing RAWs in DCU5 seems to minimise any noise issues, and I will happily expose up to ISO 6400, especially since a very small amount of additional NR produces very clean results. I don't find myself pining for the K-5 noise performance because in DCU5, the difference is not great.

The K-3II's GPS logging is great for tracking hikes to display on Google Earth, and I don't miss a built-in flash at all. I have a AF201FG flash but use it as rarely as I used the K-5's built-in unit.

08-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-3 II seemed to not be as good in low light as the K-5, but if you don't care about that, then it should be fine.

There were also some changes in the user interface from the K-5, which have carried over in the K-1. I don;t prefer those changes, but also there might have been complaints about them just as something new and different. Plus, I feel like they changed the way it does automatic exposure, but I don't know if this is a general complaint.