Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

To buy or not to buy ????

I have been looking at the K3II for quite awhile and been reading on this forum and else where as to seems to be quite a few problems with it. Am I imagining this or is it for real. I hate to invest money for camera and lenses if its is a problem child. Need some good feedback on this camera is it a problem? Thanks Bill

08-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what problems are you reading about?
08-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
I have been looking at the K3II for quite awhile and been reading on this forum and else where as to seems to be quite a few problems with it. Am I imagining this or is it for real. I hate to invest money for camera and lenses if its is a problem child. Need some good feedback on this camera is it a problem? Thanks Bill
Buy and never look back - 24 MP, Outstanding Weather Sealing, Built In Shake Reduction, No AA Filter, 8 FPS, Built in GPS, Classic Pentax ergonomics and intuitive User interface, Superb IQ and typical Pentax colors - What's there to think about?? :-)
08-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not aware of any problems with K3II, but whether it suits depends on the sort of photography you are interested in. For example in general Pentax is very photographer focused (great ergonomics and feature set) but other options may be better if your main focus is video or perhaps even action photography.

08-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

reading on this forum and else where as to seems to be quite a few problems with it.
I acquired a K-3 II several months ago, and have had no issues whatsoever. I was using a K-5 II previously.

Prior to buying, my detailed research on this forum and others revealed very few problems and no major ones. In fact, I concluded that the K-3 II is a robust, ergonomic camera that can produce excellent images.

The omission of a built-in flash has been well documented and discussed, but I wouldn't classify this as a 'problem'. Another often-discussed subject concerns the higher-ISO noise performance (i.e., 'more noise at higher ISOs' compared to the K-5 series). Again, I don't see this as a problem, as my post-processing tames noise rather well, and others have noticed virtually no difference in comparable printed images.

The in-depth reviews here and at Imaging Resource give generally positive accounts.

- Craig
08-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I imagining this
Yep.

I've no idea what you have been reading. There have been no major issues reported. No product is 100% perfect, but in this case the camera has been rock solid. I've seen nothing but positive comments. Not sure what you mean by "quite a few problems". I read this board daily and have not seen that.

Perhaps if you indicated what reports you have seen or what you are concerned about you might get more precise answers.
08-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Never had any sort of problem with it, aside from being embarrassed of shooting at 8fps in public It is not a beginner's camera, in the sense that it is versatile/customizable enough that you can make it act funny if set up improperly (defaults are just fine though).
If anything, sometimes I'm thinking it is overkill, and that the k-s2 would have sufficed, but then I get some fun idea and appreciate having all the features it offers. Features aside, the ergonomics and feel are just awesome.

08-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
One thing that I have read was about ISO noise. I do know at higher settings about any camera can have this problem. Quite a few years ago in the late 60s and thru the 70s I had several Pentax film cameras and lenses in Germany and really had a good time with them and never had any problems then. They were great cameras. I have been using Canon cameras. I would like to got back to Pentax because I had such good luck before. I think the K3II will be a good camera for me. I do not do much video that is not important. I do mostly wildlife and general outdoor and zoos and later birding. I will start with the 18-135 lens and work with it to learn the camera nand then step up to a good zoom or birding possibly with a TC. Thanks to all for the feedback Bill
08-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The ISO noise looks worse in pixel shots due to more pixels, and most reviewers say the increase in resolution keeps up with any noise - so details are retained quite well. That's how I read it. I was seeking a K-3 soon but the new PDU software has been shown to allow motion correction in Pixel-Shifted K-3ii images - so that's my new leader. If funds surprise me I'd gladly take a K-1 instead.. but that windfall would be a huge surprise.
08-09-2016, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing that I have read was about ISO noise.
Most complaints about this were from folks moving from the K-5 or K-5Iis. And yes there is more noise at a given ISO. However, what the complainers do not say is that the grain is much finer due to the higher number of pixels and thus cleans up very nicely in Lightroom or other software.

I shot the K-5IIs and K-3II side by side for some months. My initial reaction was that the K-3II had some problems, particularly with noise. However, I was using the same Lightroom processing on the K-3II as I did on the K-5IIs. And since they are NOT the same sensor that turned out to be the problem. Once I developed a new preset for the K-3II sensor it became clear I was getting better images from the K-3II and the K-5IIs was sold. The lesson I learned is that the sensor must be developed for and a different sensor will require different processing to get the best results from.
08-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I jumped straight from the K3 to the K1, so I have no direct experience of the K3 II. However, given a choice of APS-C camera, I think I'd still opt for the K3. The in-built flash is worth more to me than the other new features of the K3 II, mainly to act as master/controller of external flash. This is one thing I don't like about the K1.

Apart from a couple of mirror flops, I have nothing but praise for the K3. It's a better tool than most of us will ever need. (The K1 was an indulgence.)
08-10-2016, 03:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Most complaints about this were from folks moving from the K-5 or K-5Iis. And yes there is more noise at a given ISO. However, what the complainers do not say is that the grain is much finer due to the higher number of pixels and thus cleans up very nicely in Lightroom or other software.

I shot the K-5IIs and K-3II side by side for some months. My initial reaction was that the K-3II had some problems, particularly with noise. However, I was using the same Lightroom processing on the K-3II as I did on the K-5IIs. And since they are NOT the same sensor that turned out to be the problem. Once I developed a new preset for the K-3II sensor it became clear I was getting better images from the K-3II and the K-5IIs was sold. The lesson I learned is that the sensor must be developed for and a different sensor will require different processing to get the best results from.
Yes that's true. I'm a k-5II shooter and my k-3II disappointed me at high ISO low light situations. I find that it there is much noise on my k-3II than my k-5II and, I also find the colors of my k-5II richer than my k-3II. But, I find the images good after post processing raw files than jpeg files directly extracted from the camera. I guess the k-3II is something that's difficult to master. It's quite a challenging camera and the challenge is something I enjoy. I hope you'll enjoy it too.
08-10-2016, 04:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to have an articulating display on my new camera, since I am appreciating it a lot on my Pana G3. Which is going to stay as my outdoors camera.
But I want a new Pentax for indoors pics. Autumn and winter are getting closer, my G3 and my K10D are not satisfactory.
I would buy the K-70, if not for the damn shutter sound, too loud for my taste.

I am really longing for a new K-3 with an articulating LCD. Nothing else.
08-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

If you want Pentax cameras with articulating screen, that would only be a ks2, k-70 or a k-1. If you're waiting for a k-3 successor, then I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit.
08-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Gold Coast, if you are coming from a Canon DSLR you will not have to worry about noise. Until the very recent Canon 80D, Canon sensors have been lagging behind Sony manufactured sensors used in Pentax, Sony and Nikon camera's for at least five years. The salesman won't tell you that but DXO shows it and many forums back this up and this isn't just Pentax orientated forums.

I have a K3 and its a stupendous camera. Since you are in the USA, the K3 and K3 II are bargains for the camera quality you get. If you can hang out for the Black Friday sales you'll save yourself a few more bucks as well.

If you can wait, the new Pentax K70 looks like it has improved high iso compared to the K3 camera's although you are going to lose the feel of a professional camera body as well as many other features.

Howie Be