Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Battery life

I'm considering buying a K-3ii and was wondering if anyone knows what the battery life is like with the GPS function turned on.

(Sorry if this is already posted somewhere obvious - still learning my way around the forums).

08-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It depends on a whole lot of things, mostly how many images you're taking and what kind of lens you're using, how much refocusing you're doing, what kind of exposures...I usually get a good day's shooting with battery to spare...maybe 400 shots or more.
I haven't noticed any significant difference whether GPS is on or not, though.
08-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #3

I have a spare battery and only once got to use it in the field; the rest of the time only for conveniently swapping when charging. I may not shoot a ton, but I'm pretty happy with battery life.

GPS doesn't impact battery life in my experience. The biggest battery eater is the lcd, similar to phones if you think about it. If you prefer it (like I do) or you want to further conserve battery, the k3ii has an option to turn off the lcd when shooting (it can also display the current settings, or a level, or gps info).
08-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the K-3II. It seemed to me that when I kept my GPS on continuously that the battery did seem to use more power, which is inevitable since the feature (which I prize) naturallly utilizes it. I do not keep it on unless I am tracing my coordinates or utilizing Astrotracer. I actually have 3 Pentax brand D-LI90 batteries that I use with my Pentax K-3II and K-5IIS. Pentax brand batteries are the only type I use, since generic brands did not retain a charge long enough to be of dependable use.

08-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't comment on GPS, but I did get 4.5 hrs out of a charged battery shooting a timelapse on the K-3ii timelapse setting. I set the camera up on a tripod and left it to take a shot every 15 seconds. Around 4.5 hrs the battery depleted and I had to change it over.
08-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I get significantly less battery life with the GPS on. The GPS affects battery life while the camera is on, not necessarily on a per-picture basis, so the number of photos you can take varies significantly. If I'm walking around with the camera on (and the auto-off set to a few minutes) and I keep waking it up to take photos, I get a lot less battery life than in the same situation with the GPS off.
08-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the responses. Buying this camera will be a significant investment for me so it's great to have the views of people who've already got one.

I'm guessing I'll probably have a few other questions before i take the plunge.

Thanks again
08-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

I have used the GPS tracking feature, recording the position once per minute through 3 days of hiking, a total of 23 hours of tracking and took about 100 photos during this time and the battery had about 1/3 left after the trip.

08-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does seem to me to drain the battery faster than the K5 did.
That's not necessarily a fair comparison, I know. It's a reason to have a spare charged battery on-hand.