Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

K-3 II full buffer and no writing to card!

Hello All,
Had a interesting experience this morning. I had been shooting BIF, and there was a lot of activity, so quite a few bursts a few seconds each.
Maybe 5 mins later I began shooting some perched birds, and after a couple of shots the camera wouldn't respond.
The LV screen showed an hourglass, so assumed that there was a full buffer, but no red light to indicate images being saved to the card.
The hourglass continued, and after about another 10 mins I switched the camera off, but still the hourglass and still no red light activity.
Eventually, not sure how much later...maybe another 10 mins, I concluded there was a problem and pulled the battery.
After replacing the battery the camera responded as normal, but probably the last 5-10 shots had not been saved.
I don't know if those last shots would have eventually been saved, but wouldn't have expected the above behaviour.
The camera was writing to card #1, which had about 400 shots left on it, and card 2 was empty.
Both cards are Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB, 95 MB/s.
Anyone had a similar experience, or able to throw any light on this?

Cheers,
Terry

08-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have lens corrections enabled?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Check that all in-camera PP is disabled, incl. lens correction as hinted by Adam.

Next check your card. Your card could be faulty and it is inexpensive (IMHO) to get a new one. (Even a Sandisk Extreme Pro could be faulty, albeit rare.)

I shoot always with Hi continuous bursts and I have no problem.

My 5 cents.
08-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Shooting RAW, and no in-camera PP or lens correction.
I wouldn't have thought the buffer was big enough to require 20-ish minutes and still not be clear, with or without lens correction, or in-camera PP.
Card appears OK. How would you suggest it should be checked?

Cheers,
Terry

08-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

It was definitely having a problem, that is not normal behavior. You could try updating to the latest firmware, if you haven't already, but it might be good to check the card.

If you use a card reader, you could try to copy a bunch of image files to the card from your computer, to see if any write errors cause it to hang. Copy enough files to fill up the card, then delete them afterward.
08-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Using the latest firmware, v1.10.
The card appears to be OK, just copied 690 files, 10GB, without error.

Cheers,
Terry
08-15-2016, 02:26 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

After re-reading your post, it sounds like the camera froze. This is most likely a one-time event; you can reduce the likelihood of future freezes by keeping the battery fully charged and reducing load on the camera (i.e. skipping out on live view, playback when the voltage drops to less than 3 bars).

Unfortunately there would be no way to recover your photos. Fortunately, though, the card most likely isn't to blame- though I'd still format it after copying your most recent photos, just in case.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-15-2016, 02:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
After re-reading your post, it sounds like the camera froze. This is most likely a one-time event; you can reduce the likelihood of future freezes by keeping the battery fully charged and reducing load on the camera (i.e. skipping out on live view, playback when the voltage drops to less than 3 bars).
Interesting...the camera had a fully charged battery fitted just prior to going out to shoot, and still shows as fully charged.
Would the camera be displaying an hourglass if it froze?
Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Terry

08-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I have had a similar but not identical experience. I had inadvertently (family word for 'stupidly') activated the self timer ... All was well in the end.
08-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Interesting...the camera had a fully charged battery fitted just prior to going out to shoot, and still shows as fully charged. Would the camera be displaying an hourglass if it froze? Thanks for the advice.
Yes. This does happen occasionally. More on the k-5 series than the k-3 but still it happens. I think over two years I had maybe twice I can remember. If it starts happening regularly then worry and start looking for a problem. But a one off, though annoying, is nothing to worry about.

Lots of theories on what might, possibly, cause this but no real answer. So just keeping shooting
08-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Interesting...the camera had a fully charged battery fitted just prior to going out to shoot, and still shows as fully charged.
Would the camera be displaying an hourglass if it froze?
Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
Terry
It could really display anything, sounds like yours just happened to freeze while it was processing data.

Adam

08-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by manstanox Quote
I have had a similar but not identical experience. I had inadvertently (family word for 'stupidly') activated the self timer ... All was well in the end.
Yup... I've been there and done that before too!

---------- Post added 08-24-16 at 06:02 PM ----------

If it happened in the middle of taking pictures and you didn't hit any buttons it sounds like a random freeze to me. I've had that once or twice, but it always worked fine after pulling the battery. Sometimes a corrupt data structure on the card can freeze a camera, so you may want to test your card. If you're concerned about a corrupt data block on your memory card you can test it with h2testw. It's a standalone program so you don't have to uninstall it. (It opens in German, but you can switch it to English.) Start with a freshly formatted card and it will write pseudorandom data to the whole card and then read it back to make sure there aren't any errors. If you run this twice with no errors, your card should be fine. If you get errors, just get a new card.