Trying out Pixel Shift today.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure I'd use it for running water, but very nice shot!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice shot.
08-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I had figured to use multi-composite for such shots - but this is promising. Thanks for sharing your success story!

08-25-2016, 01:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
nice shot. by any chance possible to see larger version and some 100% crop, curious about pixelshift in landscape scenes.
08-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
nice shot. by any chance possible to see larger version and some 100% crop, curious about pixelshift in landscape scenes.
I posted some pixelshifted landscape shots in this thread
08-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I need to reprocess this shot. LR and PS don't seem to handle pixel shift well. The latest update seems to have cleared up some of saturation problems but it's still not the same as an image processed through UT5 first.

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I had figured to use multi-composite for such shots - but this is promising. Thanks for sharing your success story!
As long as you limit the movement to those elements that you intended on being blurred I think pixel shift could be a viable alternative to HDR

08-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not sure I'd use it for running water, but very nice shot!
running water seemed to come out fine. Am I missing something?
08-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

How long were the 4 exposures? Enough blur could even make for impressionist trees, I suppose.
08-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
Reprocessed image. The first is the image. 2nd is a snip from the center at 100%, 3rd is the same snip at 300%

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
running water seemed to come out fine. Am I missing something?
Pixel shift takes four separate exposures each shifted one pixel, so any movement can cause problems.

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 03:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
How long were the 4 exposures? Enough blur could even make for impressionist trees, I suppose.
Shutter was set at 1/3, with pixel shift enabled that would be 4 times 1/3. Shooting in Raw only gives me a special raw file with the 4 images included and a file size roughly 4 times larger than a standard raw file. This same shot (non pixel shift enabled) was running around 35 MB, with pixel shift enabled the file size was 116 MB.

Maybe some others that have been using pixel shift can chime in here, but I've had some serious issues with LR and PS processing pixel shift raw files. After the last update, some of the earlier problems were resolved, but it still seems like LR and PS can't handle highly saturated colors, or shadows. My work around has been to go to Pentax UT5 to process and save as a TIFF then do other editing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo     
08-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
Reprocessed image. The first is the image. 2nd is a snip from the center at 100%, 3rd is the same snip at 300%

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 02:54 PM ----------

Pixel shift takes four separate exposures each shifted one pixel, so any movement can cause problems.

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 03:15 PM ----------

Shutter was set at 1/3, with pixel shift enabled that would be 4 times 1/3. Shooting in Raw only gives me a special raw file with the 4 images included and a file size roughly 4 times larger than a standard raw file. This same shot (non pixel shift enabled) was running around 35 MB, with pixel shift enabled the file size was 116 MB.

Maybe some others that have been using pixel shift can chime in here, but I've had some serious issues with LR and PS processing pixel shift raw files. After the last update, some of the earlier problems were resolved, but it still seems like LR and PS can't handle highly saturated colors, or shadows. My work around has been to go to Pentax UT5 to process and save as a TIFF then do other editing.
Yup, the artifacts are visible in that full size crop. Notice the zipper patterns around the edges, the center patter near the left edge, and the false color in the water.

In this case I'd say the slow shutter speed and camera vibrations possibly introduced additional artifacts, but generally-speaking pixel shift should not be used when you have moving objects in your scene, as it carries no benefit and will inevitably introduce artifacts.

If you open the file in the pentax software (latest version), you should be able to turn pixel shift off in the RAW file, then output a standard frame. This can also be done with open source raw converters.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #12

Original Poster
Yup, the artifacts are visible in that full size crop. Notice the zipper patterns around the edges, the center patter near the left edge, and the false color in the water.

In this case I'd say the slow shutter speed and camera vibrations possibly introduced additional artifacts, but generally-speaking pixel shift should not be used when you have moving objects in your scene, as it carries no benefit and will inevitably introduce artifacts.

If you open the file in the pentax software (latest version), you should be able to turn pixel shift off in the RAW file, then output a standard frame. This can also be done with open source raw converters.
On scenes where you have sporadic, uncontrolled movement I would agree that pixel shift is not usable. However the purpose of this shot was to see how it would work when the movement was controlled and the intent was to have the movement blurred. I have other shots of this "non pixel shift" and frankly the detail and color in this are superior, especially in the shadows. I found the excersise encouraging enough to experiment more.

I wasn't aware of the option to turn it off in UT5. Since the file is comprised of data of 4 separate images, if you turn off pixel shift, what does it export? If it only keeps one of the images, then this is the same thing LR/PS does.
08-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
On scenes where you have sporadic, uncontrolled movement I would agree that pixel shift is not usable. However the purpose of this shot was to see how it would work when the movement was controlled and the intent was to have the movement blurred. I have other shots of this "non pixel shift" and frankly the detail and color in this are superior, especially in the shadows. I found the excersise encouraging enough to experiment more.

I wasn't aware of the option to turn it off in UT5. Since the file is comprised of data of 4 separate images, if you turn off pixel shift, what does it export? If it only keeps one of the images, then this is the same thing LR/PS does.
It'll export the first frame only. The latest versions of LR/PS do look at all 4 images when exporting from a raw file, but you can use the sharpness slider to control the degree of this AFAIK.

Adam

08-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #14

Original Poster
It'll export the first frame only. The latest versions of LR/PS do look at all 4 images when exporting from a raw file, but you can use the sharpness slider to control the degree of this AFAIK.
As of version 9.5.1 there was a known bug in ACR in passing color control in a DNG through for Pixel Shift, among other issues, this per Adobe. I'm on version 9.6 which has addressed some of the previous issues, but not all. Adjustments in LR/PS still come at the cost of loss of detail and color.
08-29-2016, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

This has not been my experience. I find PixelShift now works quite well for images with small amounts of movement. If you are doing LE, most of the water will be blurred smooth anyway so the differences between 1 image and the next in a PS shot will be very small and DCU seems to be reasonably good at removing those artifacts. Even moving leaves it seems to handle fairly well (though not perfectly).

Here's an image from Oneonta Gorge which I thought would stretch PS processing to its breaking point given the combination of moving water and foliage that is definitely not still (the waterfall here generates a fair bit of wind push down the gorge). This was processed in DCU just to push a TIFF with PS(MC) turned on to work with in LR, I did turn on some of the lens corrections in DCU but otherwise no changes in DCU. Plenty of tweaking (esp bringing up shadows) in LR after (I probably overdid some vibrancy though colors in the gorge are pretty rich anyway). I have peeped all over this to try to find artifacts. Someone else may be able to find some but if so they aren't very noticeable (IMO). There is still plenty of pixel shift value-add even after MC does its work. I did have issues with artifacts still in foliage with some other waterfall shots I tried and still had to to put in some manual effort to go clone those out. Seems particularly stressed by high contrast (leaves moving against a brighter sky). But I would say for the most part DCU deals with movement in waterfall scenes quite well (much better than I expected).

Taken with a K-1, not a K-3ii, but I don't think that should make any difference to the pixel shift processing now.