Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

What on earth happened here?

Just getting around to doing the PP on some photos and there were two photos that confused me !Both taken on my K3 and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 with ISO400, f10. 1/400sec, focal length 200mm

The photo #1 is the whole thing (resized) and the next two are 100% crops of the pier in the centre of the photo. What I don't understand is that #2 looks to be reasonably in focus but look at #3. the right side of the photo looks OK but the left looks like there was camera shake.

Photo #4 is, again, the whole thing for reference. This time the end of the pier looks reasonable (#5) and now it's the right side of photo #6 that looks out of focus.

How the heck does that happen? It cannot be depth of field as they are the effectively the same distance away, plus at that distance f10 should have a fairly large DoF.

Any suggestions gratefully received. So far no evidence on any other photos of a similar problem.

Thanks

Keith

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Accidental multiple exposures perhaps, or OS on in the lens?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-25-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
Just getting around to doing the PP on some photos and there were two photos that confused me !Both taken on my K3 and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 with ISO400, f10. 1/400sec, focal length 200mm

The photo #1 is the whole thing (resized) and the next two are 100% crops of the pier in the centre of the photo. What I don't understand is that #2 looks to be reasonably in focus but look at #3. the right side of the photo looks OK but the left looks like there was camera shake.

Photo #4 is, again, the whole thing for reference. This time the end of the pier looks reasonable (#5) and now it's the right side of photo #6 that looks out of focus.

How the heck does that happen? It cannot be depth of field as they are the effectively the same distance away, plus at that distance f10 should have a fairly large DoF.

Any suggestions gratefully received. So far no evidence on any other photos of a similar problem.

Thanks

Keith
I'd say you have either a loose element floating around inside the lens (which you would probably notice), or some kind of rift in space time occured.
08-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure you did not have both SR and OS activated (is this in the exif?). You should use only one of them, not both - they can fight each other. If you are using tripod, select 2 sec timer and have all SR and OS disabled. Also make sure you did not have some sort of bracketing or HDR or Multiple exposure function enabled.
Make sure the lens is clean, especially the back lens element. And while you are at it, make sure the mount of the lens and camera are clean, that no contacts are somehow blocked. Because if its none of these problems, then it might be optical problem within the lens, an element slightly moved, decentered something like that

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-25-2016 at 03:23 PM.
08-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You should possibly do some tests with those settings on a tripod, using the delay timer, a wired remote switch or infrared remote switch to avoid camera movement. Make sure your SR is on "on" the camera or the OS on the lens is "on", but not both as has been said. In fact, you may want to try the SR and OS options separately just to see what happens. Make sure your scene is in focus prior to the shot through your Optical View Finder. You may want to make sure you are not using any other setting than the "Single Shot" drive mode also. Check your AF method (ex. AF.C or AF.S) and make sure you are not in Manual focus mode on the camera or lens. Otherwise if you are intent on shooting Manual AF make sure you are in that mode on both camera and lens.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-25-2016 at 05:19 PM.
08-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is that you were shooting with a polarizer or UV filter in place and the filters are not multi-coated which can create, or the lens is susceptible to, ghosting. Unlike film, which has a dull flat imaging surface, digital sensors are quite reflective/shinny and inter-reflections between the sensor and other lens elements can occur. I hope it is the filters, which is easy to remedy (find a filter that does not ghost). I have this issue with a Tamron 70-300 used with a polarizer. It was not evident until I zoomed in or cropped as you have done. Try the other recommendations and if you have a filter on the lens, take it off to see if the issue goes away.

Good luck!

Last edited by BigDave; 08-25-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Additions
08-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #7

What about a moving ground?

Here is what I experimented few months ago. Did the same happened to you?

At a night of eclipse, I get on the top of the 8 stories condo tower, where I live, to get some shots.

I found that lots of people had the same idea that night "To watch the eclipse at the top of the building".

Even using a tripod for stability, I quickly found out, by just by looking at the LCD result, that everyone walking and moving on the roof (a very large wooden deck) made it to bounce a little bit, so I got all blurred pictures (long exposure).

So, even if you think you did not move, what about where you were standing? Was your ground moving?
(Assuming you had a tripod and all shake mechanisms disabled)

08-26-2016, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, there were one or two that looked possible although I was definitely leaning towards the rift in space time as I hadn't had the problem before, nor since. And at this point I have to say that what I am about to type makes me so embarrassed, I might need to adopt a new identity because of the shame.

You see, I was about to respond to the various posts and in my head I started to compose what I was going to say, and how I would answer each possible cause. And in my head, my response started: "These two shots were hand held from the top of Provincetown's Pilgrim Monument so the ground was solid and there was no wind as I was behind glass..."

At which point there came a slight pause while I asked myself, "What did I just say?" The answer I gave myself was - "I was behind glass"

GLASS!!!

Which also explains the lack of sharpness in general, which I had noticed but had put down to the greyness of the day and my bad technique.

So I am really, really sorry. I'm going to have to learn the discipline of rubbing my two brain cells together before making a fool of myself.

Keith
08-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
At which point there came a slight pause while I asked myself, "What did I just say?" The answer I gave myself was - "I was behind glass"
homerdoh

We've all had a few of those.
08-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, it was NOT inter-reflections, but exo-reflections! Oddly, a polarizer may have helped!

Now just slap your forehead hard and get on with the rest of the day!

Regards,