Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2016, 05:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lock Rear Buttons

Hi all! Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the rear buttons on a K3? I wear a black rapid harness with two K3 camera and invariably when letting them hang down a shooting mode or white balance will get changed on me. I'd really like to lock the rear buttons out without having to turn off the camera each time. Any help would be appreciated.

08-28-2016, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
pjv
Eager To Learn

QuoteOriginally posted by Cwilson1343 Quote
Lock Rear Buttons
Hi Chris. Just checked my manual and the K-3 in-depth-review to no avail. I don't think it is possible to disable the buttons. One of the boffins here might know differently though. Good luck.
08-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Chris. Just checked my manual and the K-3 in-depth-review to no avail. I don't think it is possible to disable the buttons. One of the boffins here might know differently though. Good luck.
Thank you trying. Google hasn't turned up anything either.

Last edited by Cwilson1343; 08-28-2016 at 06:19 AM.
08-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi all! Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the rear buttons on a K3? I wear a black rapid harness with two K3 camera and invariably when letting them hang down a shooting mode or white balance will get changed on me. I'd really like to lock the rear buttons out without having to turn off the camera each time. Any help would be appreciated.
No. That is a new feature in the K-1. (It uses a new button on the front-side of the camera).

08-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
No. That is a new feature in the K-1. (It uses a new button on the front-side of the camera).
Thanks Barry. I did see that in a pic and wondered if that was what it is for. Guess I'll have to go with turning the bodies off when I'm not holding them in my hands.
08-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, but this feature was added with the K-1

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #7

Another idea is you can push the AF point selection button. That way it will move the AF point if you accidentally press the four way pad. This works better for me since I'm more likely to notice when the AF point is off center than to notice the white balance or other modes are changed. I mostly use the center AF point which shows as a larger hollow square, so if I see a small dot like square I know it's not on the center point anymore.

This won't stop you from pressing AE-L and locking the exposure, but you can set the meter timeout after shorter so that it's less likely to happen. (AE-L doesn't do anything unless the metering system is active.)
08-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Another idea is you can push the AF point selection button. That way it will move the AF point if you accidentally press the four way pad. This works better for me since I'm more likely to notice when the AF point is off center than to notice the white balance or other modes are changed. I mostly use the center AF point which shows as a larger hollow square, so if I see a small dot like square I know it's not on the center point anymore.

This won't stop you from pressing AE-L and locking the exposure, but you can set the meter timeout after shorter so that it's less likely to happen. (AE-L doesn't do anything unless the metering system is active.)
Thank you I do recall that happening as well and you are right that is probably less of a problem than having shooting modes and white balance change. At outdoor events I usually shoot in jpeg format (so I don't have to edit) and so the white balance is a real issue if it is off.

---------- Post added 08-29-16 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, but this feature was added with the K-1
Thank you Adam. Hey you don't know how a guy could get a nice discount on a K1 do you??? lol
I am definitely going to upgrade one of my K3's as soon as I am able.

08-29-2016, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thank you Adam. Hey you don't know how a guy could get a nice discount on a K1 do you??? lol I am definitely going to upgrade one of my K3's as soon as I am able.
Buy a used one and you'll score $200-300 off

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Buy a used one and you'll score $200-300 off
You mean someone actually bought one and wanted to get rid of it? 😲
08-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #11
amateur dirt farmer...

I've seen them at KEH, at B&H, and here in the Marketplace...
08-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's bound to happen with any camera

Adam

08-31-2016, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

It's bound to happen with any camera
Indeed! This is common behavior among various camera reviewers (bloggers mostly) as well as people who want to comparison shop, but lack access to a brick & mortar (B&M) store to do so. The shipping to return is generally less expensive than camera rental. Places like B&H are the losers, but they compensate by selling lightly used cameras at a decent discount bundled with a service plan.

Steve
08-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter

The accidental button press didn't happen with the K-5 as much. It seems worse due to maybe less stiff buttons and also the increased weight of the K-3.
08-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's the worst for me when I have the 50-135 lens attached