Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 Freezing up using Playback button!

Past couple of days my K3 freezes up when hitting the Playback button! I remove/re-insert battery, then all's well again.
I noticed when I was downloading some photos from the SD card, it said X number of photos, and Videos! I've never shot videos, and this is the first time I saw that when moving photos from SD card to computer. Could I have accidentally hit some button, causing this "video" , and especially the freeze-up? (There were no videos shown on the computer when transfer was completed.)

I could simply quit using the Playback button, but would rather find the cause of the freezing.

Update, I see a thread on same problem, and it appears it might be the fault of the SD card. One user having same problem was using the exact card, Sandisk Ultra 32GB, Class 10. I'm going to re-format this card in the camera & see if that helps, if not; new card, and not the Ultra 32.

Last edited by csa; 08-31-2016 at 08:33 AM.
08-31-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it is the card send it for a replacement. I had problems with the very same card and it is supposed to have life warranty (at least Adorama replaced mine after a year using it)
08-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks for that information! If it continues to freeze, I'll look up my receipt & contact the seller. Can't recall right now if it was Adorama or B&H.
08-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you formatted the card since?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Adam; I just formatted both cards in my K3, after this morning's freeze up. Haven't had a chance to see if that corrected it, will check this afternoon.

Edit: Just took several shots, and after each one, used the Playback button, and no freezes! So re-formating the card seems to be the answer!

Last edited by csa; 08-31-2016 at 11:29 AM.
08-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting - thank you. I can also report that Playback has frozen on me several times with a K3 and the exact same SD cards.

Will format the cards and see if things improve.
08-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Obviously there's some glitch with this particular card and the K3.

Do let us know if it works, as will I.

I plan on getting a different Sandisk card for my primary card in the K3; probably the Extreme Pro; but am open to suggestions. I do want to stay with Sandisk, as this is the very first problem I've ever had with this brand.

09-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So far, after formatting the card in camera, no freeze-ups. However, I'm planning on getting new cards, and now am a little leary of Sandisk's other SD cards, as to whether they have had problems in the K3 also.

I'm considering the Lexar Pro1000xUHS-II SDHC Class 10 read speed 150MB, write speed 75MB.

Or stick with Sandisk, with higher quality cards?

Any thoughts?