Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 05:39 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Great Chase

Some photos taken over the weekend at the annual "Great Chase" sponsored by the Hull Yacht Club, Hull MA.
All shot with a Pentax K-3ii + DA* 60-250mm, which I found to be a great combination out there in the bumpy surf.
All processed with DxO Optics Pro, piccure+, and Affinity Photo.

09-12-2016, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
some more K-3ii + DA* 60-250mm race photos

some more photos of the "Great Chase" race taken this past weekend

09-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
09-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice colors, I love those images. Thanks.

09-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Thanks for posting those images. As a sailboat racer myself, I can appreciate the difficulties involved in taking them.
09-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Forum Member

Lovely images, thank you for posting them !!!
09-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Some photos taken over the weekend at the annual "Great Chase"
Nice.
If you use Topaz DeNoise you can get rid of the grain very nicely. I tried it on your JPGs.
Setting: Denoise Ver 6, Jpg light with Overall Strength increased to 0.15. It just improves the pictures to a very high level. Does not affect the sharpness or details of the boats, in fact it makes them appear more detailed as a result of the smooth sky. If you don't have Topaz, I guess other noise reduction software will do also, I just find Topaz DeNoise works well for me.

Cheers

By the way, the 60-250 works well on the K-1 also.

09-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #8
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Nice.
If you use Topaz DeNoise you can get rid of the grain very nicely....
But I don't get why there is so much grain/noise in the first place, on what looks a nice sunny day. They look like ISO3200 or higher.
09-13-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
But I don't get why there is so much grain/noise in the first place, on what looks a nice sunny day. They look like ISO3200 or higher.
LOL!

Let's get this part out of the way: I'm a professional photographer with over 38+ years in the business.

Having said that most of the images were indeed shot at ISO 100. So what gives? Why al the "noise"? Simple really: I hate the look of "smooth" photos. They look dead to me. So I always add film grain back into 100% of my images using DxO FilmPack. My favorite is Ilford Delta 400. Note that the grain is added @ 100% and when reduced to web size doesn't "disappear" but rather scales with the image.

Now lest you think this is a "waste" or mere subjective choice let me give you some advice: JPEGs that have a little noise in them print better than JPEGs without. And those JPEGs can also survive opening/saving much better than without. And it also prevents people from over-sharpening my already-sharpened images (who is silly enough to try to sharpen something with noise in it?). So think of it as a way to prevent people from "improving" my photos.

YMMV

Michael

---------- Post added 09-13-16 at 09:09 AM ----------

another view:

Michael
09-13-2016, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots Michael. Love you explanation as to why you add grain to you photographs too. I am glad to see another person who rarely shoots with an ISO setting over 100. For me it is a habit from over 40 years of shooting film.

BTW, that boat with the Union Jack sail. Hopefully she was boarded, captured and taken as a prize. Any tea on board? In the US we tend to get a little testy when British vessels enter Boston Harbor.
09-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
for those who want to "pixel peep" I present a 100% cropped slice of one of the images (keeping the amount of noise/grain I used for all these images):

Michael
09-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with everything about the noise and grain.

Because I don't mind it, I am quite happy shooting with my K-3 to ISO 6400 or higher; I usually shoot TAv and have a limit at 6400 but occasionally shift to Av or M mode and let ISO drift up higher.

With black and white photos, I often find myself adding grain. It just feels better to see the grain in the photos and seems weird when it isn't there. I also always add a slight tint to my black and whites to give a bit of warmth. It seems more like a real photo and helps remove something that post-processing gives.

Those are fantastic photos, and I didn't even really notice the grain myself. If I had, I probably would just assume that you had to shoot at a higher ISO to get a fast shutter speed. I try not to pay close attention to Exif data when viewing other's photos. Actually, I try not to pay attention for my own photos, too. Once the photo is taken, it's taken. I only look if I have a rejected photo that I want to try again; then I try to learn from what went wrong.