Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

K3 catch in focus noises

Hi.

Help needed please...... when I use my K3 with catch in focus (CIF) there is a noise when I keep the shutter button held down, hard to explain the noise, but louder when shake reduction enabled.

Normally when Ive used CIF I have released the shutter, so never noticed the noise.. however I wanted to leave it on via a cable release to catch something (drivers using mobile phones....)when it comes into the focus zone, I.e. leave it unattended. I initially thought it was linked with the cable release. But holding down the shutter button also the same, reset my custom functions...... still there. Its a similar sound you get if you have the AA filter simulator on?

Infact it is the same noise as AA filter set to 'on', this also gets quieter when shake reduction off, now slightly concerned that AA filter noise shouldnt be apparent, always thought it was the sensor vibrating to replicate AA filter.

If the noise is sensor vibration replicating AA filter, then perhaps it is on by default when CIF is used, or I have a problem :roll:

Any help appreciated....

09-17-2016, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even when shake reduction is off the sensor is held in place with the electromagnets of the SR system. That's probably what you hear.
09-19-2016, 01:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Even when shake reduction is off the sensor is held in place with the electromagnets of the SR system. That's probably what you hear.
Thanks, do you think it will have a negative effect on the camera, wear and tear.......if I have the shutter depressed for a period of time with the magnets at work I.e. with a remote keeping the shutter button depressed for catch in focus, its ok untill the camera fires for the first time, then the sensor obviously doesn't reset to rest position, hence the noises. It will fire again ok, but the noises are constantly present untill the shutter is released manually
The noises are not necessarily a problem for my proposed use, but using it for wildlife maybe a problem.........my concern is primarily wear and tear.....
09-19-2016, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I don't think you should be concerned about wear and tear. I've never heard about any instance where the SR mechanism has worn out.