Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Pixel Shift And Focus Stacking

I've seen a few articles recently where Pixel Shift has been incorporated into focus stacking. I don't really see why it wouldn't work, but anyone out there that's done it? And comments on workflow, tips, etc., before I try it?

09-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is entirely feasible. Take a bunch of pixelshifted frames and then stack.. but there is always the possibility of getting trails and misalignments due to the time being 4x a normal exposure. You'd almost have to have a decently fast WA/UWA lens. The K-1 would have the best chance in the pentax lineup of making it work vs. say a K-3II or a K-70 just due to the difference in stops. That difference will mean shorter exposure times. But if you're daring, give it a go on one of the other 2 models and see how it works.

Other than the issue mentioned above, I don't see how it would be much if any different than your current stack routine, other than the length of time for the exposure so the workflow probably won't change at all.
09-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
It is entirely feasible. Take a bunch of pixelshifted frames and then stack.. but there is always the possibility of getting trails and misalignments due to the time being 4x a normal exposure. You'd almost have to have a decently fast WA/UWA lens. The K-1 would have the best chance in the pentax lineup of making it work vs. say a K-3II or a K-70 just due to the difference in stops. That difference will mean shorter exposure times. But if you're daring, give it a go on one of the other 2 models and see how it works.

Other than the issue mentioned above, I don't see how it would be much if any different than your current stack routine, other than the length of time for the exposure so the workflow probably won't change at all.
Any movement would definitely create problems, however shooting a macro of a totally stationary object should help with that. My thought was to develop in Pentax Utility 5, to take advantage of motion shift, then save a TIFF for stack images.