Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2016, 05:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
micro adjustment needed after a few years

Probably a dumb question, but I still feel new to Pentax and digital cameras. Is micro adjustment something you eventually have to adjust, or does my camera need to be repaired?

I noticed my photos were all blurry and soft even at high shutter speeds, so I went through and did microadjustment, one lens was +10 and the other +8. I was amazed at the difference. I have had my camera 2 years now and I don't recall ever having a problem with needing to change microadjustment at all. I am assuming camera and not lens because both needed adjusting (the 18-135 and 55-300) and never had the issue with them before, other than the step learning curve.

09-28-2016, 05:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Usually the camera comes out of the factory with the AF module not perfectly aligned, rather than anything happening after you buy it.

09-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

As long as adjustment is within the scale, you're good to go Problem is when you are experiencing severe af misalignment exceding-10/+10 scale.
I have DA50/1.8 that now on my third Pentax DSLR body is working perfectly at "0" adjustment, straight from 1.8, but on new "out of box" K-3II of my friend it had to be adjusted by -5.
09-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The AF module could shift if one dropped the camera. Also, wear in the mirror mechanism could change the optical distances to the AF module and induce a microadjustment shift.

But first, check/clean the AF sensor area in the bottom of the mirror box. I once had an eyelash land in there and it totally screwed up the AF until I blew it out.

09-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The AF module could shift if one dropped the camera. Also, wear in the mirror mechanism could change the optical distances to the AF module and induce a microadjustment shift.

But first, check/clean the AF sensor area in the bottom of the mirror box. I once had an eyelash land in there and it totally screwed up the AF until I blew it out.
Thank you. I will also clean the sensor. I have been testing some more today and it seems that the focus is correct with these microadjustment except it is still focusing in front from about 20mm to 40mm on the 18-135. The 55-300 is in focus through the whole length now. I will probably send the 18-135 to be fixed.

Oh, how very odd. I cleaned the AF prism thingy - and now along the 20-40mm it is in focus and sharp. Everything is still the same 10+ for the 18-135 and 8+ for the 55-300mm, but now everything looking good. I should have cleaned first for sure!

Last edited by Murfy; 09-28-2016 at 09:29 AM.
09-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Thank you. I will also clean the sensor. I have been testing some more today and it seems that the focus is correct with these microadjustment except it is still focusing in front from about 20mm to 40mm on the 18-135. The 55-300 is in focus through the whole length now. I will probably send the 18-135 to be fixed.

Oh, how very odd. I cleaned the AF prism thingy - and now along the 20-40mm it is in focus and sharp. Everything is still the same 10+ for the 18-135 and 8+ for the 55-300mm, but now everything looking good. I should have cleaned first for sure!
What type of target are you using to microadjust your 55-300mm? I believe mine could use some tweaking.
09-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Gezing Quote
What type of target are you using to microadjust your 55-300mm? I believe mine could use some tweaking.
First I used a door hanger that had a big black Z on a white cloud. The second was some smallish rocks that my kids lined up on the deck railing. Really high tech I was actually just playing around last night, taking photos of dumb stuff in the house and then decided to stick the camera on a tripod and use a 2 sec timer to see if my out of focus shots were user error. Then I just started to go through each micro setting adjustment one by one. I did it a few times. Then went out today and tested with the rocks on the railing.