Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Remind me how to set AF.C for BIF

Hello All,
I have just returned from a day out 'shooting' birds, using K-3 II, HD D FA 150-450 ED DC AW and HD DA AF rear converter 1.4x AW, handheld.
I had wonderful opportunities to shoot a Black Kite that spend quite a bit of time cruising around quite close, and quite low.
Reviewing the shots most are rubbish, and I have to wonder if I was just having a bad day or I do not have the best AF.C settings.
The light was excellent, shooting at ISO 400, point exposure, AF mode select 9 (centre), most shots were reasonably exposed at f/8.0 and between 1/1600 and 1/2500, but most were out of focus.
I have been at this for quite a while and try to ensure that I get focus before starting a burst.
I did recently change my AF.C settings, but blowed if I can be sure what I had them set to previously.
The current settings are (C3 menu)
16. (1st frame action in AF.C) 3- Focus priority
17. (Action in AF.C continuous shooting) 3-FPS priority
18. (Hold AF status) 1-off

Could any who do a lot of BIF shooting with reasonable success please comment on these settings?
I know we have been around these traps before but the whole business is a bit inscrutable.

Cheers,
Terry

10-06-2016, 02:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
K-3 II, HD D FA 150-450 ED DC AW and HD DA AF rear converter 1.4x AW
It is no surprising that you get no sharp shot with your setup. With the rear converter on DFA150-450 , you get to f8, and in that case, you are satisfied with AFS. If you want to do BiF tracking, the AFC settings above are correct, but use the DFA150-450 without TC. I did BiF tracking with K3+DA300 f4+TC, and it works reasonable well, but it is 420mm f5.6, so the K3 is still able to track with 9 center points (27 points not working with the TC).
10-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It is no surprising that you get no sharp shot with your setup. With the rear converter on DFA150-450 , you get to f8, and in that case, you are satisfied with AFS. If you want to do BiF tracking, the AFC settings above are correct, but use the DFA150-450 without TC. I did BiF tracking with K3+DA300 f4+TC, and it works reasonable well, but it is 420mm f5.6, so the K3 is still able to track with 9 center points (27 points not working with the TC).
Hello biz-engineer,
I should have added that with this lens combination I have been able to get many shots in a burst in focus on many occasions, so it isn't the hardware, and why I suspected the settings. A pity I don't have a record of my previous settings so that I can test, but don't want to have to go through all the combinations and permutations.
If you reckon these settings are correct then I must have been having a bad day.

Cheers,
Terry
10-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest using single point AF rather than 9x. I have had better luck with that with the K-3 on the back of the not so fast DA 55-300. The better AF modules in the 150-450 just might work better if you can keep the centre spot on the bird. I also use back button AF (setting 2) because once I have a focus on the bird, and stop down a stop or two, I don't have to refocus the lens.

When I use the M 400 and 1.7X I don't even try to AF. The combo is out to f/9.5 or thereabout, and definitely is in a place it doesn't like. I've AF'd the 1.7X on the M 100/4 successfully.

10-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #5

This was discussed recently over in the BIF Photography thread. There were some good tips. I haven't had a chance really try them out but I feel a have a better understanding of the auto focus now. The discussion starts here.
10-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I should have added that with this lens combination I have been able to get many shots in a burst in focus on many occasions, so it isn't the hardware
Why do you ask if you know it? Good luck.
10-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Why do you ask if you know it? Good luck.
Have another read of my initial post...I said I have changed my settings and don't recall what they were, so sought help in getting it right again.

Cheers,
Terry

---------- Post added 10-06-16 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
This was discussed recently over in the BIF Photography thread. There were some good tips. I haven't had a chance really try them out but I feel a have a better understanding of the auto focus now. The discussion starts here.
Thanks for that link.

Cheers,
Terry