Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #1

Battery & charger compatibility

Hi all,

I've recently purchase the K3 II and I also own the K10D, and I would like to know if there is a compatibility between the chargers, meaning if I can use the old K10D charger to charge the K3 battery.

TIA,
Ziv

10-09-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

No. Different batteries.
10-09-2016, 01:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick answer!
10-09-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Be nice if Pentax developed a charger that could charge different batteries though. I have a Fuji charger that will handle two types of battery, and one from Hama (I think) that will handle many more.

10-09-2016, 02:04 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Be nice if Pentax developed a charger that could charge different batteries though. I have a Fuji charger that will handle two types of battery, and one from Hama (I think) that will handle many more.
I think we're doing pretty well considering that all the flagships since 2009 have shared the same battery Same goes for the other bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2016, 02:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a really cool idea/product sold by B&H -- Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 D-Li90 Battery Plates D-3704 B&H

Its a dual battery charger but here's the kicker. Each battery socket accepts various adapter plates so your dual charger can accept two batteries of the same type or even two different types of batteries at the same time! For example I could be charging the batteries for my K30 and K1 simultaneously with just one charger. Aint that real neat and convenient for travel?
10-09-2016, 04:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
As my battery charger is in a suitcase lost by an airline, is there any other way I can charge the battery without the power supply?
Connecting it with USB-C adapter for example?

10-09-2016, 05:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bright_Star Quote
As my battery charger is in a suitcase lost by an airline, is there any other way I can charge the battery without the power supply?
Sadly no. I would check Amazon and get a quick delivery if you can't find one locally.
10-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Shout out to local Pentax shooters?
10-09-2016, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pewter Quote
This is a really cool idea/product sold by B&H -- Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 D-Li90 Battery Plates D-3704 B&H

Its a dual battery charger but here's the kicker. Each battery socket accepts various adapter plates so your dual charger can accept two batteries of the same type or even two different types of batteries at the same time! For example I could be charging the batteries for my K30 and K1 simultaneously with just one charger. Aint that real neat and convenient for travel?
Oh! Man! That looked like such a cool thing, but then I checked it out further. Unfortunately, it appears to be just a typical charger but with two bays. Some reviews report it as a fast/rapid charger. The Watson site only list the output for the Duo as "1.2-8.4 VDC, 2.0 A (max.)", although their single plate version states "4.2-8.4 VDC, 800 mA." This (800mA) is twice the amperage of the Pentax charger, so I would consider it a rapid charger and not one I would recommend for regular use. It really seems the only advantage offered is the dual bays and, IMHO, there isn't that great a space/weight savings over just packing the two different chargers you might need. Would have really loved it if they had made this a smart charger with at least selectable charging rates.
10-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

John - I'm not local to you (I'm in the North East), but there are several suppliers in London who stock the original D-BC90 charger, including Microglobe:

Pentax D-BC90 Quick Battery Charger
10-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

'In the field' the only way to charge your battery without a charger is ... basically, get a charger from somewhere, or get another battery. Or quickly find a K-3 camera grip, and drop 4 AA batteries into it.

I guess you could also MacGyver something, perhaps with 4 AA batteries and a few wires overlaid on top of an existing battery.

If you don't need mobility for your shooting, you could look around for an AC power supply (K-AC132 or one with similar plug and output) to power your camera.
10-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone mentioned another camera that uses an identical battery. It was a strange coincidence. I don't recall the thread now.

---------- Post added 10-09-16 at 11:43 PM ----------

Oh and the grip takes six aa's.
10-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somewhat relatedly, I just recently learned of aftermarket chargers that work from a 5V USB input, so you can charge your Pentax batteries from an external battery pack/portable solar panel. Nifty!
10-10-2016, 06:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Somewhat relatedly, I just recently learned of aftermarket chargers that work from a 5V USB input, so you can charge your Pentax batteries from an external battery pack/portable solar panel. Nifty!
Links?