Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
USB port not working suddenly

Very odd, but it seems to just not be working anymore. It worked yesterday without issue, it's worked since I have had it without issue. Do the ports just fail? I have tried different USB wires and different ports, all my other accessories work in the same hub and in the same port. Even when I push in the wire or try to wiggle it, it doesn't pick up anything. I didn't drop it, I don't even recall using it between the last time I did use the usb port. I just ordered a card reader from amazon but I'd hope I can figure this out before it gets here. It figures this was the one time I took photos for someone and not just for fun.

10-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had USB ports on hubs get flaky and just quit out of the blue, necessitating a replacement hub....
10-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you tried: 1) different computers; 2) restarting your computer; 3) putting in a freshly formatted SD card? It may be that the operating system is having trouble mounting the file system on the card for reasons tied to the OS or the card.
10-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Have you tried: 1) different computers; 2) restarting your computer; 3) putting in a freshly formatted SD card? It may be that the operating system is having trouble mounting the file system on the card for reasons tied to the OS or the card.
I will try that, but the camera doesn't go into the PC mode like it used to. We have had some power failures but the camera was not plugged into to USB at the time, so it could be a computer issue. I will troubleshoot.

10-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the battery charged? If it is low on charge it won't connect IIRC...
10-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Is the battery charged? If it is low on charge it won't connect IIRC...
I put a new battery in. It's the usb port in the camera, I am pretty sure of it now. we tried a different computer, different card, different wire, different outlet. It's just dead. It didn't even give me any trouble first It's just not going into pc mode when the usb is connected. At least I have Amazon prime, so a new card reader is on its way.
10-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you are using a USB hub try plugging the cable directly into the computer port and camera. Sometimes there is just enough voltage drop with hubs to cause problems.
10-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is your USB mode setting? If it's set to MSC, try PTP

10-12-2016, 03:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Very odd, but it seems to just not be working anymore. It worked yesterday without issue, it's worked since I have had it without issue. Do the ports just fail? I have tried different USB wires and different ports, all my other accessories work in the same hub and in the same port. Even when I push in the wire or try to wiggle it, it doesn't pick up anything. I didn't drop it, I don't even recall using it between the last time I did use the usb port. I just ordered a card reader from amazon but I'd hope I can figure this out before it gets here. It figures this was the one time I took photos for someone and not just for fun.
90% of the time the cause for this kind of behavior is a bad cable. And the cause for the bad cable is repeated bending resulting on a broken wire. The best storage for cables is to not store them. As this is generally impractical, store them in as big a circle as possible. The worst way is a tight circle and then scrunch it in the middle and tie it off. And of course that's how we store most of our small cables, including me.
10-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
What is your USB mode setting? If it's set to MSC, try PTP
I did try that, but no change
10-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like it could be bad solder joints from repeated insertion/strain of the cable on the socket, or a static discharge damage to the circuitry. Either way, kind of an early failure for such a new body.
10-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Sounds like it could be bad solder joints from repeated insertion/strain of the cable on the socket, or a static discharge damage to the circuitry. Either way, kind of an early failure for such a new body.
yeah, it's definitely the camera. We tried different cables, outlets, and computers. my husband was able to transfer the files to the mac via the wireless card and a pc (for some reason we couldn't do it directly with the mac). So now there is another option if something ever happens with the card reader. The port doesn't seem loose, but then again I replaced my kindle 4 times because they have a known port issues, so I guess that may be it. At least the kindle gave me some warning before it stopped working.
10-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a GO-PRO HERO 3 Silver that will charge with all of my USB cables but it will only connect to my PC with a one specific cable.... Go figure!