Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #1

Composition Adjust Help

Hello,
I was testing out composition adjust, trying to create a panorama using it. It works brilliantly, i start from the top left and take a frame in every extreme corner ending in the bottom right. They stitch together perfectly in lightroom every time and you are left with about 31 megapixels. I find it more accurate than panning on the tripod, sometimes it'll drop a little vertically on my tripod and i end up with an uneven stitch that needs to be cropped or filled.

One problem i am having though is on the first frame i click live view and then set the composition adjust to the top left corner, for the next frame i cant figure out a quick way of readjusting it, i'm having to go out of live view and back in. Am i missing something obvious? I wonder would pentax put it into the firmware for me so that i can take a photo in each corner with one press of the shutter?

10-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting idea. I wish all of the cameras offered extensible firmware or APIs to permit thinking. It would be easy to setup some functionality like this with open APIs.
10-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Interesting idea. I wish all of the cameras offered extensible firmware or APIs to permit thinking. It would be easy to setup some functionality like this with open APIs.
Yea it would be good to have an open api, but the problem then is someone puts out a bad build and even though its nothing to do with pentax it makes them look bad. Another one that bugs me that would be easy to add is, there is a count down timer on the top lcd for long exposure noise reduction, why don't they add a timer up there for bulb mode. I know i can use my watch or phone, or just guess it. but it would be nicer not to have to.
10-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think there's a faster way to do it, and I agree this kind of "composition adjustment bracketing" would be a nice feature to add in firmware. You could even give the option to auto-stitch in camera...

EDIT:
QuoteQuote:
why don't they add a timer up there for bulb mode
K-70 has this - but no composition adjustment!

10-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for the off topic: At least on the k3ii, there is a timer for bulb mode but only when astrotracer is enabled. And the menus or manual say nothing about this, you have to press the green button and it only works if astrotracer and gps are already enabled (this makes little sense to me because the green button always resets things and is never used to access new functions) So it doesn't really have a timer if you simply want a long exposure over 30s.
10-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe it has a limit, which is the fact that you have to use a lens that covers more than the sensor area, like FF on APS-C, am I correct?

Otherwise, this method apparently works wonders for shots where perspective correction is not desirable, as an article on this site showed quite some time ago...
The use with panoramas is, how to put it, seeing the matter from another angle (rotated 90°, in this case :-P )