Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 40
Taking photos when connected to pc by USB.

Is this possible? I know that tethering is not. But I just want to take photos when connected and make other tool to sync folder on my hdd with folder on K-3 SD card (so, just file transfer).

10-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,259
What you're describing is tethering When the camera is in standard USB mode, shooting functions are disabled, so no dice there.

If you are ok with not getting a copy of each file on the SD card, you can use pkTriggerCord:
pkTriggerCord

The only other viable workaround that I can see is to use an eye-fi (etc.) wireless card. This would allow you to stream photos to your PC wirelessly in real time (though isn't certainly not going to be as fast as USB).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,872
Ricoh has provided an Adobe Lightroom tethering plug-in for the 645Z and K-1. For some reason they have decided it is a feature only their "Pro" cameras should have...$$$
10-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 40
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What you're describing is tethering When the camera is in standard USB mode, shooting functions are disabled, so no dice there.

If you are ok with not getting a copy of each file on the SD card, you can use pkTriggerCord:
pkTriggerCord

The only other viable workaround that I can see is to use an eye-fi (etc.) wireless card. This would allow you to stream photos to your PC wirelessly in real time (though isn't certainly not going to be as fast as USB).
I have been testing this program. Unfortunately it has two big drawbacks.
First - it won't allow to use remote while connected to pc (I wanted to use my camera for non-commercial photo-booth at my cousin's wedding). I was thinking about long release cable, but I am affraid some careless and possibly drunk guest can pull the cable and make camera and tripod fall.

Second (and that is critical): the K-3 used with pktriggercord is very unstable. After about 10 minutes (8-10 photos) shutter stops reacting, I have to reconnect camera and restart software to get it back to work.



QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Ricoh has provided an Adobe Lightroom tethering plug-in for the 645Z and K-1. For some reason they have decided it is a feature only their "Pro" cameras should have...$$$
I am very surprised. I have always viewed Pentax as the company/brand that takes special care about customers. That was one of the reasons I stayed with Pentax. Now, when I see they don't offer such a basic funcionality for the reasonably high priced K-3 I am not so sure.

10-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,259
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_Fell Quote
I have been testing this program. Unfortunately it has two big drawbacks.
First - it won't allow to use remote while connected to pc (I wanted to use my camera for non-commercial photo-booth at my cousin's wedding). I was thinking about long release cable, but I am affraid some careless and possibly drunk guest can pull the cable and make camera and tripod fall.

Second (and that is critical): the K-3 used with pktriggercord is very unstable. After about 10 minutes (8-10 photos) shutter stops reacting, I have to reconnect camera and restart software to get it back to work.




I am very surprised. I have always viewed Pentax as the company/brand that takes special care about customers. That was one of the reasons I stayed with Pentax. Now, when I see they don't offer such a basic funcionality for the reasonably high priced K-3 I am not so sure.
I think there just isn't that much demand for it in the APS-C line. It would be nice to have, but I guess every camera can't have everything.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-26-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 40
Original Poster
But this camera (K-3) has it - for some reason Pentax (unlike CaNikon did) just won't share data that would allow people/other companies to make tools. I have just bought used low-end Canon ($130 with lens) that can do what $800 Pentax can't. This is my first non-Pentax dslr (I was loyal Pentaxian before). If Pentax cameras could to what cheap Canon can, I won't even look at other systems. Now I can say "canon feel" is not so bad... Maybe Nikon is ok to... With more lens, more promotions (in my country there are almost none Pentax cash-backs, but there are very solid Nikon promotions) maybe some day I will think about changing the system and I am a bit closer to that than I was before. I doubt that such strategy is profitable for Pentax, I don't think there are many people that wil buy Pentax K-1 instead of K-3 just because there are no tethering tools for K-3.
10-26-2016, 12:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 666
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_Fell Quote
But this camera (K-3) has it - for some reason Pentax (unlike CaNikon did) just won't share data that would allow people/other companies to make tools. I have just bought used low-end Canon ($130 with lens) that can do what $800 Pentax can't. This is my first non-Pentax dslr (I was loyal Pentaxian before). If Pentax cameras could to what cheap Canon can, I won't even look at other systems. Now I can say "canon feel" is not so bad... Maybe Nikon is ok to... With more lens, more promotions (in my country there are almost none Pentax cash-backs, but there are very solid Nikon promotions) maybe some day I will think about changing the system and I am a bit closer to that than I was before. I doubt that such strategy is profitable for Pentax, I don't think there are many people that wil buy Pentax K-1 instead of K-3 just because there are no tethering tools for K-3.
here you go, Let 'em know
japanese fb
????????? RICOH IMAGING | Facebook

english fb
Ricoh Imaging | Facebook


most likely they won't reply you but well..., better make some noise at the right place anyway.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, folder, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, photos
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photos transfer from iPad to USB drive connected to airport express? raider Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 9 10-14-2013 09:25 AM
Bitten by no auto off when connected to usb ThorSanchez Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 03-31-2013 09:34 PM
jpegs currupted when connected to pc MADDSNIPER Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 03-27-2013 11:42 AM
Capturing pictures with camera connected to PC Syther Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 05-08-2012 06:30 AM
When Connected to USB taking pictures cbaytan Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 09-25-2010 02:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top